Be Real is offline Banned

Heart Rate question

what is the heart rate i should be at while running on the treadmill? I was doing 6.5 on the treadmill and I went all the way up to 185-190 according to the sensors. Is that way too high? Also how long should it take for the body to go back to resting heart rate after a strenuous workout which for me is about 67 or so.

bizzump

Aboot is offline Banned
    To find your target heart rate for fat buring use the following formula:

220-age x .7 = your target heart rate

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    We need more info. Are you looking to burn excess calories? If so, 65% to 70% of your MHR for 45 minutes would be a good place to start. Also, use the search feature - there is a great deal of info on excellent cardio programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    To find your target heart rate for fat buring use the following formula:

220-age x .7 = your target heart rate
    136?

Can that be achieved at 6.5 on the treadmill? My heart was up to 180+ today

What i'm actually tryign to figure out is if I have heart problems. So my question is to try to figure out if 180 while running on the treadmill is normal if its on speed 6.5 on 4.0 incline. Also how long does it take for yoru heartrate to go back down to 70 or so after its gone to 180. Mine took 20-30 minutes.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Yes going 6.5 miles an hour on a treadmill will get your heart rate up very high. If your goal is to burn fat you should be WALKING on a treadmill. As for how long it takes to come back down to resting rate, I have never bothered to check or research it.

Also, I don't think this is a very accurate way to determine if you have a heart problem. If you are concerned you should go to a doctor.

Yes going 6.5 miles an hour on a treadmill will get your heart rate up very high. If your goal is to burn fat you should be WALKING on a treadmill. As for how long it takes to come back down to resting rate, I have never bothered to check or research it.

Also, I don't think this is a very accurate way to determine if you have a heart problem. If you are concerned you should go to a doctor.

gone to a doctor but they say nothing is wrong yet I am always out of breath got high blood pressure and i keep hearing a gurgling sound in my chest, got a sharp pain today as well. Gonna go see a cardiologist soon.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    gone to a doctor but they say nothing is wrong yet I am always out of breath got high blood pressure and i keep hearing a gurgling sound in my chest, got a sharp pain today as well. Gonna go see a cardiologist soon.

If you have high blood pressure how can a Dr. say nothing is wrong? Do you have high cholesterol also? I would have some blood work done if you are legitimately concerned about cardiac health. If you are looking to improve your heart health I would suggest not going all out at 90% MHR right away instead I would work up to the 80% MHR range over the course of a few weeks if your emphasis is on Pulmonary/Cardiac benefits.

I think if I were you and you havent seriously addressed your diet to improve heart health I would do a number of these things soon:

*Limit daily intake of cholesterol <200mg/day
    *Consume >25g Fiber
    *Drink 5-10oz of Red Wine daily
    *Consume Fish >3x/week (or supplement with Flax/Fish Oil)
    *Increase Fruit/Vegetable consumption
    *Limit sodium intake <2000mg daily
    *Consume blueberries in abundance (natural statin blocker)
    *Supplement with Vitamin E (depending on which study you buy into)
    *Supplement with Selenium (complementary anti oxidant to Vit E)
    *Supplement with CoQ10 (anti oxidant)
    *Increase Soy Protein intake (thought to lower LDL)
    *Limit Trans/Saturated fat intake

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    What is your age and body fat percentage? Bf esecially good indicator of cardio fitness. Guys on this thread are right. If you have high BP you should really watch the higher rate MHR cardio sessions. Seeing your cardiologist is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Rox
    What is your age and body fat percentage? Bf esecially good indicator of cardio fitness. Guys on this thread are right. If you have high BP you should really watch the higher rate MHR cardio sessions. Seeing your cardiologist is a good idea.

got high cholestrol. Blood tests were messed up due to steroid usage. I'm 25 and I have low bodyfat, dont know what it is but my abs are visible and you can barely see my serratus muscles as well. My diet needs more veggies and fruit in it.

why is walking better than running on a treadmill?

Aboot is offline Banned

You do not need to run, you can get your heart rate up enough by walking to burn fat. If you run you will likely end up burning muscle along with fat.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You are trying to see if you have a heart problem??? That will tell you diddily squat! MHR is based upon ones own conditioning and cardio vascular health. Are you obeses/fat or have diabetes?? Prior family history?? Smoker/drinker/stresses?? What I am getting at bro the treadmil is not going to tell you. Go to a doctor and get a EKG & stress testing along with blood work.

I'm not trying to talk to you like a kid but I will just assume that either your or someone reading doesnt know about your body's energy systems.

*When you elevate your heart rate (running/sprinting/etc) your body primarily uses your anaerobic/glycolitic energy system. The A/G system uses glycogen (stored glucose) as its chief source of fuel.

*When your body is at a lower heart rate (<75% MHR) your body primarily uses your aerobic energy system. This system is ideal for fat loss because of one key reason. In order for fat to be broken down by the body you must have oxygen present to go through the chemical processes needed to convert triglycerides to usable energy.

AVAGO is offline Member
    originaly posted by Thechosenone
    *When you elevate your heart rate (running/sprinting/etc) your body primarily uses your anaerobic/glycolitic energy system. The A/G system uses glycogen (stored glucose) as its chief source of fuel.

*When your body is at a lower heart rate (<75% MHR) your body primarily uses your aerobic energy system. This system is ideal for fat loss because of one key reason. In order for fat to be broken down by the body you must have oxygen present to go through the chemical processes needed to convert triglycerides to usable energy.
    nice bit of info man

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    You are trying to see if you have a heart problem??? That will tell you diddily squat! MHR is based upon ones own conditioning and cardio vascular health. Are you obeses/fat or have diabetes?? Prior family history?? Smoker/drinker/stresses?? What I am getting at bro the treadmil is not going to tell you. Go to a doctor and get a EKG & stress testing along with blood work.

Got EKG and blood work done. EKG is fine, blood worked was messed up due to steroid usage. Gonna do stress test if my blood pressure hasnt dropped in a month.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Too high blood pressure over time will weaken/damage the heart muscle.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    What is your blood pressure?

Thread Information