GQplaya is offline Associate Member

Question?? about Traps

I normally work my traps every 5 days. But i never seem to get sore no matter how much i work them. So i have a new strategy and it seems to be working. I will work them out EOD. Does anybody think i might overtrain them this way? or maybe just some people have to do it this way in order to see results/

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Get some hooks and go as heavy as you can with barbell shrugs for a few sets. Then you won't be able to do shrugs more than once or (max) twice a week.

GQplaya is offline Associate Member
    sorry, what the hell are hooks? ( are they straps)

nsa
    Yeah, they are straps minus the straps, they have actual metal hooks in place of the straps. Alot better IMO for heavy weight.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    your problem may be your not going heavy enough and using either bad technique or the same technique for too long. Try different angles, different methods techniques/ rest/pause, slow and concentrated reps, more reps/lighter weight, more weight/ fewer reps.

briansauras is offline Senior Member
    whatg kinda reps and weight do you guys use for traps?

nsa
    I use 3-4 plates on each side for BB shrugs and 150's (highest my gym goes) for DB shrugs.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I use 3-4 plates on each side for BB shrugs and 150's (highest my gym goes) for DB shrugs.

SAME HERE!!!

decadbal is offline Banned
    i do traps on back and shoulder day now, bc i cant get mine to grow fro crap. i do dumbells heavy but strict then heavy barbell with a little boucer so i can use alot of wt.

Tose22 is offline Associate Member
    bro if you pre-exhaust your muscles before you lift you will become really sore. When you do this you are able to really focus on the trapezius muscle when you lift, and when you have you mind over muscle in check the you are ready to grow. So next time you work out your traps stand in front of the mirror and flex your traps, like squezzing them into your neck for reps of 15-20 then do your workout, and do this before each set. Yes you wont be able to lift as much, but you will definitely be able to feel the soreness for days. Goodluck

-Tose

nsa
    Or do shrugs on back day after deads...

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    How's your form?? If heavy does not work I would suggest you drop your weight and concentrate on the squeeze & hold really pinching yout shoulders to your ears. Do if for 12-15reps. Make sure you are not one of those that do shrugs by rotating your shoulders front to back like many inbolsols I see do at the gym. I do think that way is a cool dance on the dance floor And do not do them eod.

briansauras is offline Senior Member
    so most of you guys do heavy, low reps when working traps? talking like 6-10 reps?

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    I use the 100lb dumbbells for shrugs (mind you i only weigh 166), but use straps also, and i can get about 13 solid reps in each set. Im going up to 110's next time at the gym. Yes, i get sore. Make sure you squeeze those bad boys....

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    make sure your actually shrugging because i see alot of dudes in the gym that shrug the weight not even 1/4 of the way if your doing that theres your problem

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I like doing them on a smith machine. I get a better contraction, and I pull up and "back slightly." I feel it much better than going straight up and down.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I am doing ok with dumbbells... currently running around 120 lbs per db. Using straps, of course. Straps, applied correctly, are as good as hooks. You could do barbell shrugs with an alternated grip and easily go up to 2x bodyweight without your grip failing.

with a barbell I like to do really heavy shrugs, a set or two, to failure of course, and then a lighter set concentrating on maximal "shrug" without letting the shoulders down as far on the negative, also to failure. The squeeze at the top of a light set is an entirely different feeling from using monster weight. I can't say for sure that it makes a difference but I THINK it does and it FEELS like it does.

Moosepellet is offline Member
    Sucks for the guy who can't get sore doing shrugs. I blast the hell out of mine, and I couldn't do it anymore than that unless I'm on the sauce. Ya, know! Try doing DB Shoulder Presses, Cable side laterals, Upright Rows, Shrugs(DB and BB). Let me know if this works. 4sets on everything 6-8reps, except shrugs 15-20, hold a squeeze at the top

squatster is offline Associate Member
    wow- not sore with doing srugs- drop the weight down and consitrate on the movement and every time you do them put on more and more weight. If you don't feel an exersize in the 3rd rep you are doing them wrong. drop the weight down and reposition. I can feel them burning with only 135 on the bar.And I can do some big weights on srugs to. Concentrate. and focus on the traps and traps only. Don't be afrade to do small weight for a little bit. After a few weeks you will pass the weight you were useing before and have some huge ass traps.
    let us know what you do in a nother thred once you find what works for you

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Yes, im my post, i forgot to mention, i also do upright rows, and side cable laterals. they all help traps also. My upright row routine rocks:

Grab the bar shoulder width apart. Put enough weight on to do 7 solid reps, not to failure, you should be at like 75% exhaustion. Then as soon as you finish the 7th rep, put the bar down, and grab it close grip, about 6" apart. Do another solid 7 reps. Do 5 sets. Itll burn like a mother****er.

Thread Information