kaorialfred is offline Member

something I ponder today.

I never bench at all. maybe once a month I do some db presses, incline barbel,flat bench, delcine bench.
    My standard chest day mostly consist of very lite weights I will use 135 for the barbell execises. I use a 55lb dumbell for flat bench.

I do handstand pushup typcally 15 a week (5 x 3days a week)

a month ago I could barley do 300 on the bench.
    Today when I got off working the floor at the gym. Some of the college kids were there on brake. This kidd was working out with a partner and working his way up to his max 325. I spotted as to not make the workout productive. On a trash talking whim I said I could do it cold. I didn't need a warmup. So they were laughing but I noticed some sporty jock kids were checking us out while we benched. I thought as the bar came down and I felt the weight in my hands alone.......please god just let me be able to do 1 rep so I don't look like an ass.

I pushed it for 10 reps clean no stuggling either on the last one. the first 3 were kinda sloppy. (Bad Form or NO FORM at all)

Anyway I was just curious, I hate benching but I do try to see if I can max every once and awhile. I was blown away with what I did today. Just think if I had a partner to train with and really liked benching.

by the way I am 5'9 261 right now.

So anyone else get blown away by there strengh sometimes?

I am also on TRT doing some var also right now. When I work out sometimes I feel I am not pushing myself enough, but today seemed to be either lucky or just var.
    The last time I benched for max was a couple of months ago prob 5 or 4 ago. Weird, that I did that today.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Reason why you exceeded your expectations is partly due to a rise in adrenalin. The situation allowed your adreal glands to put out. But just curious why do you not bench and when you do only 135lbs when you weigh 261lbs? I alot of times do not push heavy anymore at my age and more into working the muscle. Looks like the lay off of heavy benching helped you to. I heard VAR (never used it) is good for that also.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Reason why you exceeded your expectations is partly due to a rise in adrenalin. The situation allowed your adreal glands to put out. But just curious why do you not bench and when you do only 135lbs when you weigh 261lbs? I alot of times do not push heavy anymore at my age and more into working the muscle. Looks like the lay off of heavy benching helped you to. I heard VAR (never used it) is good for that also.

I know I kinda feel like I have been slacking. I have some thyroid probs, along with test prodcution. I really don't want to get huge, but I know I need to tear to build some muscle. its a pain. I don't like the movement of the bench press. I really hate squats so I have and will continue to stay away from it.
    Yeah I kinda figured either the var or just my scared ass turning the incredible hulk all of a sudden

This year I am going to start pushing a little more every other month. I just don't have the desire for a 400 bench and X amount for squats. Plus I know as you get older its harder to push the heavy stuff, especially if you have been lifting heavy for a while. I'm 33 so I will take it easy, just keep my stengh up to ward off my two boys 1 and 8. As long as they know I'm stronger than them I will be leader of the pack

I am going to take the boys to Y now. maybe I will try curling some large amout of weight

decadbal is offline Banned
    u benched 39lbs more than you weigh and you are impressed bro? im not flaming, i think you need to learn more about the game..

Decabal I know your not flaming, I don't know what game your talking about?

I'm impressed the fact that when I do bench for a one rep max, my number goes up. When the only execise I regualry do for chest is cable flyes with light weight and upside down pushups. Have you ever tried handstand pushup up against the wall?

my post really is more about having the potential for great things but not really getting close to it in the gym.
    Last edited by kaorialfred; 01-03-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    In one month you went from a barely 300 bench to doing 325 for 10 reps? I don't buy it~

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    a 260 pound man doing handstand pushups? now i'd pay some good money to see that

i tried getting up close to the wall to do them, are you straight up against the wall? i always feel like i'm going to fall over backwards and break myself when i try them

Quote Originally Posted by Bound for Muscle
    a 260 pound man doing handstand pushups? now i'd pay some good money to see that

i tried getting up close to the wall to do them, are you straight up against the wall? i always feel like i'm going to fall over backwards and break myself when i try them

Yes I taught my wife to do them also.(3 not very clean thought, but hey she tries) I sometimes go down and touch my head to the floor, but the most I can do is 5 good clean ones. 2 unassited from the wall. (scary) My goal is to build up enough strengh and balance to do a backflip and walkover. Just getting the body accustom to the positons. I still have days where I hit my head on a bridge. (concrete and wood ouch)

I watch a lot of capoeria videos and web movies so I get hyped try to imitate them

I started out doing them bent knee. Just holding my self up for as long as I could. I do them in Handstand position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    In one month you went from a barely 300 bench to doing 325 for 10 reps? I don't buy it~

You know what me either, but it did happen. I'm not known for my lies. It also was prob more like 3 months. I dont' keep track but I am going too this year a little bit better.
    You don't think that it could be accomplished? Am I missing something. Let me know.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaorialfred
    You know what me either, but it did happen. I'm not known for my lies. It also was prob more like 3 months. I dont' keep track but I am going too this year a little bit better.
    You don't think that it could be accomplished? Am I missing something. Let me know.
    Nope, not in one month. Three months, now it becomes a possibility. Either way, great progress.

Thread Information