notus is offline Member

joint pain from heavy weight?

I already take glucosamine and chondriton but lately when I lift especially on chest my shoulders and elbows ache especially on the first rep which I have to go down very sloooow and the pain usaully gets better as the reps continue. This has been happening since I have been lifting over 300lbs on bench and over 275 on incline. Before going that heavy i never had any problems (except an elbow injury).

Do you have any suggestions to help with the joint ache while I am doing my reps?

Well it sounds like tendonitous(don't exactly know how it's spelled) to me. Only thing you can really do is ice the areas that hurt and rest them. Don't lift more than your body can handle.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    i have just started noticing this over the past week and a half

i had previously been doing 225 x 8 reps on bench press, i decided to go ahead and start upping the weight, working til failure and doing forced reps

last week i did 255 x 2 with 2 forced reps, which left my shoulders sore

doing pushups tonight i noticed that my shoulders are a bit painful...i'm sure this is not helped by carrying heavy ass trays of food working as a waiter either

notus is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bound for Muscle
    i have just started noticing this over the past week and a half

i had previously been doing 225 x 8 reps on bench press, i decided to go ahead and start upping the weight, working til failure and doing forced reps

last week i did 255 x 2 with 2 forced reps, which left my shoulders sore

doing pushups tonight i noticed that my shoulders are a bit painful...i'm sure this is not helped by carrying heavy ass trays of food working as a waiter either
    so what are you going to do about it to make sure the pain doesnt turn into something serious?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    rest until the pain is gone...from experience do not push through it

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    There are many reasons for the pain such as no pre-warm up prior to heavy lifting, bad form, overtraining, old injury, and lifting too much weight caused by increases in muscle mass but not connective tissue/ligaments/tendons and lack of joint fluids. If you continue your asking for longer time to heal. Also diet can play a role here too..

squatster is offline Associate Member
    I would say a lot of times - it is the form. take and start over with corect form. It may be something youare not seeing. Have some one watch you or better yet vidio tape your self and watch it. It could be great on light weight but you will probibly see your form going out at the heavy weights. Most people do do that with heavy weight. Once you get the correct form your weights will increase buy a lot. That300lbs will feel light and comfortable after you check your form
    let us know how you make out

ace ventura is offline Member
    Can Omega-3 do the trick?

notus is offline Member
    I dont think I was as clear as I could of been. I will check my form but recently form has been a big focus and that is why I have been able to increase my bench. I went from 275lbs 8 times to 315lbs(today) 9 times by correcting my form in about 3 weeks.

The pain is an "ache" and it runs down the side of my forearm, my elbow and shoulders but it is not like tendinitos (spelling), or ligament damage (which I have had). The first rep I must go slow very slow but after I can begin to speed up to a normal 3 or 4 seconds down and 2 or 3 seconds going up.

After the weight is off any pain that is left slowly subsides and is completely gone within 30 seconds after the lift.

This is my warm up
    135lbs 15 times
    185 10 times
    225 8 times
    275 4 times
    305 1 time

then my set..

My diet is in check I am using a diet from anhydro78 and i take multi vitamins, glucosamine and chondrition, liv. 54, potent anti oxident formula, stuff for my prostate, and cholesterol. I have slacked on omega 3 though.

I hope this is more clear I really appreciate your imput.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady
    I dont think I was as clear as I could of been. I will check my form but recently form has been a big focus and that is why I have been able to increase my bench. I went from 275lbs 8 times to 315lbs(today) 9 times by correcting my form in about 3 weeks.

The pain is an "ache" and it runs down the side of my forearm, my elbow and shoulders but it is not like tendinitos (spelling), or ligament damage (which I have had). The first rep I must go slow very slow but after I can begin to speed up to a normal 3 or 4 seconds down and 2 or 3 seconds going up.

After the weight is off any pain that is left slowly subsides and is completely gone within 30 seconds after the lift.

This is my warm up
    135lbs 15 times
    185 10 times
    225 8 times
    275 4 times
    305 1 time

then my set..

My diet is in check I am using a diet from anhydro78 and i take multi vitamins, glucosamine and chondrition, liv. 54, potent anti oxident formula, stuff for my prostate, and cholesterol. I have slacked on omega 3 though.

I hope this is more clear I really appreciate your imput.
    It could be your Ulna nerve. But i mean its hard to diagnose something over the interent. If it's worrying you, go to see a physio therapis

Thread Information