Thread: Cable Crunches?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member

Cable Crunches?

OK, I tried this for the first time today. I usually do roman chair but thought something new might be more stimulating.

First set is 67% of max then 74%, then two at 80%.

I did my first set at 130, then 140, but then I thought I needed 160 to finish up. My stack only goes to 150. The stack next to mine goes to 250, but I can't kneel as it's higher. I tried to do it standing but couldn't crunch it at all at 160. So, I tried it at 150. Didn't feel that tough.
    My question is: Should I learn to use lower weight and do them standing?

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    How is your technique for these?? When i started doing them i could do the whole stack at 150lbs for 20 reps. That was pretty hard. Then i changed my technique, when contract my abs, i would pause for a second, almost touching my forehead to the floor. I had to decrease my weight to do this for 3 or 4 sets but my abs are getting way more work.
    Standing doesnt seem like you can use a greater range of motion. Ive never tried them though.

I get on my knees, then sit on my calves. I hold the cable, using a tricep rope, one hand on either side of my head. I then crunch down until my head touches my knees.
    Should I not sit down?

I get on my knees, then sit on my calves. I hold the cable, using a tricep rope, one hand on either side of my head. I then crunch down until my head touches my knees.
    Should I not sit down? I'm pretty tall if I don't sit down, I think the stack will not be under tension until I start moving about a 1/4 of the motion down.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You should not sit on your calfs. Reason being the range on motion(contraction) is less. This is a very common mistake but it can still work the abs ,just not as effective.

Also you have to be aware if that position is putting more stress on your back, taking away from the ab work.

OK, then. So, I have to keep on my knees, but leave them bent at 90º, then crunch down until my forehead hits the floor? Slow controlled motion, right? Don't want to head bang for real.

slow and controlled all the way, maybe even pause for a sec when your fully contracted, but, NO we are not head bangers here. Theres another forum for that!!!!!

I did them slow and controlled with my nees at a 90º. Still crunching 150 for 12 with good form. Went and sat down facing away from weights on the pull down machine. Put a close grip attachment on like the cable rows, and did seated crunches there. Was so heavy! Had to back off to like 60lbs. to keep form. Hella sore the next day. It does work.

Klossus is offline Associate Member
    you also may want to dry doing them on a box, it gives you more room to continue downwards and allows you to get a fuller rep

Ain't that the same thing as sitting on the pull down seat? That's how I was doing them.

playa4933 is offline Associate Member
    from what i have heard from trainers and such is that you should do low weight, high reps, not much rest in between. With abs you are not going for bulk and mass, you are looking to define and carve them into a 6 pack. This is just what i have heard, but it seams to make sense, more hyper, not strength/mass. Am i wrong?

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    You should not sit on your calfs. Reason being the range on motion(contraction) is less. This is a very common mistake but it can still work the abs ,just not as effective.

i agree with thunder

Thread Information