IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

elbow position on bench

when your elbows are out so their is an L shape on the negative, does this help you lift more weight?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    No. You lift less weight. But you're using your chest more. Bringing the elbows in will involve more of your triceps and less of your shoulders which will help you bench more weight.

I suggest you read this:

How to Bench Big...

Peace

what about this though. when your elbows are out, your fore arms are straight and perpendicular to the bar thus generatiing more force into the bar. when your elbows are in, your forearms are kind of pushing outwards.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Generally speaking most PL's, who bench the most weight, tend to use a shoulders in technique. IMO elbows in is the way to go if you plan on benching heavy weights for a long period of time and you wish to keep your shoulders as healthy as possible.

Odin is offline Member
    I know A person can bench more weight with the elbows tucked in. I have heard though that bodybuilders should go with elbows out and powerlifters should go with elbows in. I wonder if elbows in hurt's hypertrophy in the chest? Maybe something Swole Cat can answer.

Odin is offline Member
    I know A person can bench more weight with the elbows tucked in. I have heard though that bodybuilders should go with elbows out and powerlifters should go with elbows in. I wonder if elbows in hurt's hypertrophy in the chest? Maybe something Swole Cat can answer.

Odin is offline Member
    Bump, this is somthing i have been wondering for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    Logicaly, yes there will be less hypertrophy in the chest. Considering the triceps can press more than the shoulders, more of the charge would be supported by the triceps thus reducing chest involvement. I can't tell to what extent though... Swole?

Flexor is offline Banned
    The elbows out works the pecs the most, and the shoulders to some degree whilst the triceps are only worked slightly. More weight can be lifted like this, at least for me, presumably because the pecs are one of the largest and strongest muscles! Just look at the area involved.

The elbows in works the triceps the most (depending on how you perform the reps), and the shoulders take more of a beating than with the elbows out. The clavicular pec is worked reasonably well with the elbows in but the sternal pec is not really stimulated enough, but is with the elbows out.

Elbows in is safer for the shoulders, I generally stick to it so that I get a good hard triceps and shoulder workout.

Odin is offline Member
    Bump, I love the way I'm benching now I just want to know if its best for my chest??

Odin is offline Member
    bump, got swole?

Odin is offline Member
    bump

Odin is offline Member
    bump

Odin is offline Member
    bump

You can stop bumping it now... post whore

I will throw in a bump to for Odin. Look at TestSubects avatar, his elbows look more out to me.

it seems to make more sense. your chest by far is stronger then tris and shoulders. and it seems to me that with your elbows out, your forearms are not fighting outwards but only staight up

Odin is offline Member
    With my elbows in I can lift way more! I just want to know if i'm cheating my pec's by doing so. I wonder what Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, Arnold do it.... Reason I'm stressing this so much is cause I don't want to be wasting my time in the gym. Benching with elbows out is dangerous imo because it put's much more strain on the shoulers and elbows.

Thread Information