Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member

bench press question

When I use the machine to do a bench press I can lift quite a lot for a lad my size, but when I go on the smithy machine I cant seem to lift as much. I know this is probably down to the weight of the supporting bar. But I now want to have a go with no assistance but dont wanna look like a fool and not be able to lift the weight I set up. Will I be able to lift the same as on the machine or will it be less ?

Aboot is offline Banned
    A machine, as in a machine with a weight stack or like a hammer strength machine?

??? Not certain I can help you unless you clarify a bit more regarding these types of machines you're talking about ???

seanw is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    When I use the machine to do a bench press I can lift quite a lot for a lad my size, but when I go on the smithy machine I cant seem to lift as much. I know this is probably down to the weight of the supporting bar. But I now want to have a go with no assistance but dont wanna look like a fool and not be able to lift the weight I set up. Will I be able to lift the same as on the machine or will it be less ?
    I presume you are talking about seated Bench Press machine. Complete load of crap, best method is the free bench then the smith machine. Smith is the best if you dont have a spotter, you can fail and hook it at the closest point.
    As to the weight, who cares what it weighs, if you are lifting your heart out and failing on the last reps it doesnt matter if its 20kg or 200kg does it ?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't worry about the weight.. Everyone starts somewhere.. If your ego lifting then you'll never increase chest size! Free weights develop the muscles in a much more superior way to any smith or seated bench press machines! I would personally say to use dumbells as well since you can really stretch the muscle fibers nice and deep! Check your ego at the door and feel what you lift! I have to remind myself of that everytime

jonnytour is offline Member
    I agree. Use machines as little as possible. If that is all you have then you'll have to make due. Otherwise hit the freewieghts. You'll hit the muscles better and get the stabilizers (sp) as well resulting in more size and strength overall!!

Keep on keepin on!

Thread Information