jeffsz28 is offline Associate Member

Have a mind to lift problem

Only when i work my chest doing bench i kinda make myself nervous and unsure. i can always force myself to do the weight and do it in correct form. i just tend to sike myself out and get nervous bout not being able to do it. i only feel this way doing bench. anyone else have this happen working a certain body part? what can i do to help not make myself think that way?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Use a weight that you know you can lift correctly, keep a log, and try to increase this poundage every workout or every other workout. You have to know what you can/can't do, then you should have no issues.

Mind over matter.

~SC~

hey bro- thanks- its not that i can't do the weight i just worry that like i'm maybe warming up to much or to little only when i'm doing bench.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Just do 2 warm-up sets, stretch really good, get your mind right and your favorite cd humpin' in your ears, and do it big!

~SC~

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup I like to have a little pump going on that way I know I am warmed up properly!

souns good guys thanks

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You say that you sike yourself out before the lift is that because it is alot of weight? If so drop it and train on the smith machine ultilizing the saftey catches for reassurance. Other than that do db presses if you have to. Also after afew warm-ups go straight into the lift giving yourself no time to get worked up & siked..

system admin is offline Owner
    Get a spotter and push the weight. Hard to get siked when your bro is there to help you.

Bc

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    ya get a spotter and you will be alright. i use to have the same problem because i never had a spotter..Jason

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsz28
    Only when i work my chest doing bench i kinda make myself nervous and unsure. i can always force myself to do the weight and do it in correct form. i just tend to sike myself out and get nervous bout not being able to do it. i only feel this way doing bench. anyone else have this happen working a certain body part? what can i do to help not make myself think that way?

i have that problem to with bench but its not a problem for me i dont think cuz it just gets the adrinolan for me pumping and i think it might help me do a lil more weight

system admin is offline Owner
    If I get syched out... I just tell myself "it's just weight". If you cant do it, then you should lower it. No biggie. Ego's will kill a person quickly.

Bc

thanks for al lthe advice guys- have to find one of the guys i talk too and see who is the best at a spotter and makes me feel comfortable.

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    It is important to be well prepared. Have you ever watched a strong man or power lifting competion? They mentally prepare themselves for the action they are about to take (many times taking longer to prepare for their lift mentally than it would actually take to successfully perform the act itself). Since bench seems to be your only exercise that you are siking yourself out, flip the situation (by being well prepared) and sike yourself up. You know from previous experience how much you can safely lift (use this in your mental prep). Using a spotter will also give you the psychological benifit of knowing you are well prepared and ready to make progress on your bench workout to get the results you deserve.

Hot- Rox thats a good point. i have read were pros train there mind to think they have already lifted the heavy weight before and helps them throw it up.

thanks again guys.

powerfreak777 is offline New Member
    how long have you been training, I see a lot of people have nerve problems and be afraid of the weight, I also used to have this problem. With time you will learn not to be afraid, I have 15 years training. You could use negitives at the end of your workout with 20 pounds more than your last set to get used to heavier weight, also before you lift if its lets say 25 pounds more than last set pick up a 25 plate see its not that much more(just a mental thing) take care and stay strong

statuZ is offline Banned
    this is the only excercise that i feel freaks me out, god **** i hate it, well deads too!

Thread Information