fitnessNY is offline Senior Member

what is better for bi's straight bar or ez bar

What do you think is better for increasing the size of your bi's a straight bar or ez bar? I am going to give swole cat's arm routine a try with 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of hammer curls plus warm up sets.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Straight bar by far.

It's called "E-Z" for a reason.

~SC~

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea make the straight bar the first three for sure.. Personally I do. straight for 3 sets, then 1 standing dumbell then 2 hammers!

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Straight bar by far.

It's called "E-Z" for a reason.

~SC~
    yeah but you need to be flexible enough to curl a straight bar comfortably. A regular straight bar is superior if you can curl it comfortably

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    doesn't matter which one you do as long as you keep changing it up. Don't always do straight bar or you not continue growing because your body will be used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    yeah but you need to be flexible enough to curl a straight bar comfortably. A regular straight bar is superior if you can curl it comfortably
    Everybody can. You have to put the ego aside.

You may have to lower the weight considerably to be able to lower the weight all the way down and lift from the bottom up using all the bicep, yes. Using an "cheat bar" as I call them, you never recruit the entire bicep, and you end up w/short biceps.

Sucks!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    doesn't matter which one you do as long as you keep changing it up. Don't always do straight bar or you not continue growing because your body will be used to it.
    We are referring to a specific protocol used for a certain period of time set forth by me, hence his question.

So yes, for the protocol I outlined for these gentlemen, IT DOES MATTER.

Regards,

~SC~

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    I always use the straight although i try to have more of a dumbell/cable action for the bis cause i find it harder for my left arm to develop

ok buddy

ok buddy
    What happened here is that you didn't know of the entire situation (my training suggestions from weeks ago) which is why your suggestion was out in left field.

Not sure if your "ok buddy" is a mocking tone offering, but nonetheless, you didn't have a clue as to what the protocol was that was introduced weeks ago by me for the other guys here, hence your suggestion being totally meaningless to this situation. (Kind of like the the old adage, "This is an A-B conversation, so C your way out type of thing) I'm not telling you that to be rude, but rather explaining why your suggestion doesn't fit here.

Of course changing things up is good, but for this specific time-frame of arm work, that does not apply.

~SC~

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    My 1st 4 sets is always the straight Bar.

What happened here is that you didn't know of the entire situation (my training suggestions from weeks ago) which is why your suggestion was out in left field.

Not sure if your "ok buddy" is a mocking tone offering, but nonetheless, you didn't have a clue as to what the protocol was that was introduced weeks ago by me for the other guys here, hence your suggestion being totally meaningless to this situation. (Kind of like the the old adage, "This is an A-B conversation, so C your way out type of thing) I'm not telling you that to be rude, but rather explaining why your suggestion doesn't fit here.

Of course changing things up is good, but for this specific time-frame of arm work, that does not apply.

~SC~
    i get what your saying i thought he was asking in general my bad

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Everybody can. You have to put the ego aside.

You may have to lower the weight considerably to be able to lower the weight all the way down and lift from the bottom up using all the bicep, yes. Using an "cheat bar" as I call them, you never recruit the entire bicep, and you end up w/short biceps.

Sucks!

~SC~
    actually i can lift the exact same weight for the same (give or take a rep) number of reps. I find the EZ bar more difficult and to place more stress on the bicep if anything. Everyone is going to be different. And no id say some people probably cant comfotrably use a straight bar, same as not everyone can perform millitary press with a barbell. Most people can but some of us are working around injuries

i get what your saying i thought he was asking in general my bad
    All good bro!!

Nice abs by the way!

~SC~

Aggression is offline Member
    I can't do straight bar preacher curls. EVERY TIME I do these I get like a forearm type splint that doesn't go away for sometimes a week. That's why I like to do incline dumbell curls and incline hammer curls for bis. No pain or discomfort with those, only growth.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Straight bar would be superior. Reason being is that when the wrist is supinated, there is a direct line of tension to your biceps. When you start to turn your wrist, the tendon wraps around a bone and the line of tension is not directly upon your biceps. Hence, why hammer curls works the brachioradialis.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Straight bar overall but if you have wrist/forearm pain issues the ez can help minimize the pain so you can work out. Last week I employed using the 45lb O bar with two 45's doing controlled curls for 4 reps then immediately zipped over with the ez bar with only 2x10's with back supported against a post for very strict form blasting a good 15 reps or so..Bi's are one of my favorites

Vicktor is offline New Member
    With straight bar curl, are you using a shoulder width grip?

btw, Italianmuscle, who is that in your avatar? good god ****!

diesel21 is offline Member
    yo, dude... i use to get the foreamrm splints too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok here is how to fix.... u must grab the dam straight bar at natural carrying position... which is out further than shoulder width........ doing it this way u will just hit the bis' (or mostly)

(natural posytion meaning how u naturally stand.. give it a shot, and say goodbye to forearm shine splints)

Aggression is offline Member
    I have gotten good bicep growth by doing three exercises:

1) Incline dumbell curls (Biceps Brachii)
    2) Incline hammer curls (Brachialis)
    3) Reverse ez bar preacher curls (Brachialis and Brachioradialis)

All are 3 sets reps of 10,8,6 increasing the weight each set.

These, in addition to the work my bis are getting from rows and pulldowns, are quite enough for me.
    Last edited by Aggression; 01-11-2005 at 02:54 PM.

Speaking if Italy's avatar I have been wondering that forever just never asked. straight bar all the way bro, just don't let your forearms overpower your bi's, keep your wrist relaxed and really isolate your bi's.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Tried straight bar today (Always been doing it with a ez bar beforehand) and lemme say it's working the bicep way better. Don't be a pussy and use it even if it's harder on your wrists.

Thread Information