IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

loosing fat for somone now worried about muscle

i was just wondering. if someone like say a girl who has abslolutely no interest in muscle mass wants to loosefat, what is the best way for her to go aobout it? is the 65-75 percennt max heart rate mainly for bodybuilders interested in preserving muscle or will running equal greater fat loss?

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    65% 70% MHR is fairly universal. A clean diet along with consistent cardio will be very helpful for anyone - male or female - in loosing body fat. However, resistance training is also very important. Because building (or at least retaining) lean mass will make burning fat not only easier, but much healthier. It is important to remember you actually eat your way thin, by eating 5 to 8 smaller meals per day. This is how you raise your metabolism and is essence burn body fat.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Rox
    65% 70% MHR is fairly universal. A clean diet along with consistent cardio will be very helpful for anyone - male or female - in loosing body fat. However, resistance training is also very important. Because building (or at least retaining) lean mass will make burning fat not only easier, but much healthier. It is important to remember you actually eat your way thin, by eating 5 to 8 smaller meals per day. This is how you raise your metabolism and is essence burn body fat.
    i agree with this. Get the girl on the cardio before breakfast. The body will have digested all the food in her stomach and will begin breaking down stored energy (ie fat) for energy. Stay in the HR 65% range to maximise fat burning.
    I honestly doubt youll get a non training person to eat 8 clean well balanced meals a day. Shoot more for 6 and try and make sure she doesnt see it as an excuse to snack on crap when she feels like it and classify it as a meal.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    She may not be concerned w/losing muscle now, but when she is bones and loose skin w/no metabolism, she will. Then, once she commences "regular" eating again, BOOM! Blows up like the world trade center.

Not smart.

~SC~

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    She may not be concerned w/losing muscle now, but when she is bones and loose skin w/no metabolism, she will. Then, once she commences "regular" eating again, BOOM! Blows up like the world trade center.

Not smart.

~SC~
    i had a buddy tell me he was going to cut up (tone up, eugh!) by just not eating for a few days. I tried to explain what would happen to his matabolism, he decided that after not eating for several days he would only eat a little so avoid the weight rebound. What about loss of muscle i asked. 'Ah that doenst matter i wont loose much of that' I shook my head. And this guy claims to know alot about nutrition. IDIOT!

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    thanks guys. i printed that up and gave it to the chick.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You should explain the importance of maintaining lean body mass and the influence it has on metabolism. Secondly, osteoperosis is a major concern for females. Therefore, strength training will increase bone mineral density and reduce her risk. Third, if she does lose muscle in the process, her metabolism will decrease. Then if she does "rebound" or gain the weight back, she will be even more fat at the same bodyweight. Why, because she gained pure fat back because she provided no stimulus for muscle gain. None of these are good situations. Combine a healthy diet, cardiovascualr activity and resistance training.

Thread Information