boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

Deadlift Grip Problem

Been doing a 5x5 on all excercises, including deadlifts. I was deadlifting 325x5, but my grip would fail after the fourth rep and I would have to regrip and finish the last rep. I thought it might have been the length of time that I was holding the weight, so I tried 5x3 with deadlifts, and 350x3. But again, my grip failed after the 2nd rep. What are my options? I know many people recommend straps, but I heard that they are not recommended for less than 500lbs. My back can handle the deadlifts no problem, it's just my grip can't. Are straps that effective? What else can I do? Thanks.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    get some wrist raps they work

Quote Originally Posted by allsaucedup
    get some wrist raps they work
    Yep, that's it.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I would say to try chalk first if your gym allows it.. If not I would think that wrist wraps are your only option. Try some exsercises that strengthen your grip as well

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    My advice would be to increase your grip strenght. One way I found to be effective was posted by another member to get monster forearms:

You go in the power rack, you put weight on a barbell, you grip it with a overhand grip first, and you just stay there holding it until it falls out of your hands. When it falls, you grab the barbell back with over under grip and do the same thing once again. Then with a reverse grip. This whole procedure is 1 set!!! Do it 3-4 times on arm day... (Or forearms day... Don't know your training split)

Peace bro & good luck

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    I have done what ReX357 just posted for about a year now and my grip strength has gone through the roof. Just try and do the grip holds with the heaviest weight you can and for as long as you can. Once in awhile I will go super heavy on these but sometimes I use straps but i do the grip overhand so i still gotta hold onto it a decent amount. try these out and they should work for ya.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    agreed, grip work is something alot of people avoid and try to get around using straps. I pulled a muscle in my back and stopped lifing with straps to limit the weight i could work with. My deadlifts dipped short term, but im deadlifting as much as ever and not relying on straps. I actually got stretch marks in my forarms. Id say invest in some chalk like needmorestrength suggested, for me it can be the difference between getting 3 reps or 6.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the replies. My buddy has a ton of chalk so I'll try that out and see if it works. I'll give the grip exercise a whirl too and see how I like it. By the way, I have the gloves with the straps attached and I didn't notice any difference. Will the straps be noticable?

Thread Information