Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    fitnessNY's Avatar
    fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,929

    what is better for bi's straight bar or ez bar

    What do you think is better for increasing the size of your bi's a straight bar or ez bar? I am going to give swole cat's arm routine a try with 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of hammer curls plus warm up sets.

  2. #2
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Straight bar by far.

    It's called "E-Z" for a reason.



    ~SC~

  3. #3
    needmorestrength's Avatar
    needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    7,079
    Yea make the straight bar the first three for sure.. Personally I do. straight for 3 sets, then 1 standing dumbell then 2 hammers!

  4. #4
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Straight bar by far.

    It's called "E-Z" for a reason.



    ~SC~
    yeah but you need to be flexible enough to curl a straight bar comfortably. A regular straight bar is superior if you can curl it comfortably

  5. #5
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    doesn't matter which one you do as long as you keep changing it up. Don't always do straight bar or you not continue growing because your body will be used to it.

  6. #6
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    yeah but you need to be flexible enough to curl a straight bar comfortably. A regular straight bar is superior if you can curl it comfortably
    Everybody can. You have to put the ego aside.

    You may have to lower the weight considerably to be able to lower the weight all the way down and lift from the bottom up using all the bicep, yes. Using an "cheat bar" as I call them, you never recruit the entire bicep, and you end up w/short biceps.

    Sucks!

    ~SC~

  7. #7
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    doesn't matter which one you do as long as you keep changing it up. Don't always do straight bar or you not continue growing because your body will be used to it.
    We are referring to a specific protocol used for a certain period of time set forth by me, hence his question.

    So yes, for the protocol I outlined for these gentlemen, IT DOES MATTER.

    Regards,

    ~SC~

  8. #8
    bignatt's Avatar
    bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in FL (former Masshole)
    Posts
    2,431
    I always use the straight although i try to have more of a dumbell/cable action for the bis cause i find it harder for my left arm to develop

  9. #9
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    ok buddy

  10. #10
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    ok buddy
    What happened here is that you didn't know of the entire situation (my training suggestions from weeks ago) which is why your suggestion was out in left field.

    Not sure if your "ok buddy" is a mocking tone offering, but nonetheless, you didn't have a clue as to what the protocol was that was introduced weeks ago by me for the other guys here, hence your suggestion being totally meaningless to this situation. (Kind of like the the old adage, "This is an A-B conversation, so C your way out type of thing) I'm not telling you that to be rude, but rather explaining why your suggestion doesn't fit here.

    Of course changing things up is good, but for this specific time-frame of arm work, that does not apply.

    ~SC~

  11. #11
    ItalianMuscle's Avatar
    ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,267
    My 1st 4 sets is always the straight Bar.

  12. #12
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    What happened here is that you didn't know of the entire situation (my training suggestions from weeks ago) which is why your suggestion was out in left field.

    Not sure if your "ok buddy" is a mocking tone offering, but nonetheless, you didn't have a clue as to what the protocol was that was introduced weeks ago by me for the other guys here, hence your suggestion being totally meaningless to this situation. (Kind of like the the old adage, "This is an A-B conversation, so C your way out type of thing) I'm not telling you that to be rude, but rather explaining why your suggestion doesn't fit here.

    Of course changing things up is good, but for this specific time-frame of arm work, that does not apply.

    ~SC~
    i get what your saying i thought he was asking in general my bad

  13. #13
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Everybody can. You have to put the ego aside.

    You may have to lower the weight considerably to be able to lower the weight all the way down and lift from the bottom up using all the bicep, yes. Using an "cheat bar" as I call them, you never recruit the entire bicep, and you end up w/short biceps.

    Sucks!

    ~SC~
    actually i can lift the exact same weight for the same (give or take a rep) number of reps. I find the EZ bar more difficult and to place more stress on the bicep if anything. Everyone is going to be different. And no id say some people probably cant comfotrably use a straight bar, same as not everyone can perform millitary press with a barbell. Most people can but some of us are working around injuries

  14. #14
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    i get what your saying i thought he was asking in general my bad
    All good bro!!

    Nice abs by the way!

    ~SC~

  15. #15
    Aggression is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    586
    I can't do straight bar preacher curls. EVERY TIME I do these I get like a forearm type splint that doesn't go away for sometimes a week. That's why I like to do incline dumbell curls and incline hammer curls for bis. No pain or discomfort with those, only growth.

  16. #16
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Straight bar would be superior. Reason being is that when the wrist is supinated, there is a direct line of tension to your biceps. When you start to turn your wrist, the tendon wraps around a bone and the line of tension is not directly upon your biceps. Hence, why hammer curls works the brachioradialis.

  17. #17
    bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,015
    Straight bar overall but if you have wrist/forearm pain issues the ez can help minimize the pain so you can work out. Last week I employed using the 45lb O bar with two 45's doing controlled curls for 4 reps then immediately zipped over with the ez bar with only 2x10's with back supported against a post for very strict form blasting a good 15 reps or so..Bi's are one of my favorites

  18. #18
    Vicktor's Avatar
    Vicktor is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    28
    With straight bar curl, are you using a shoulder width grip?

    btw, Italianmuscle, who is that in your avatar? good god ****!

  19. #19
    diesel21's Avatar
    diesel21 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    734
    yo, dude... i use to get the foreamrm splints too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ok here is how to fix.... u must grab the dam straight bar at natural carrying position... which is out further than shoulder width........ doing it this way u will just hit the bis' (or mostly)

    (natural posytion meaning how u naturally stand.. give it a shot, and say goodbye to forearm shine splints)

  20. #20
    Aggression is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    586
    I have gotten good bicep growth by doing three exercises:

    1) Incline dumbell curls (Biceps Brachii)
    2) Incline hammer curls (Brachialis)
    3) Reverse ez bar preacher curls (Brachialis and Brachioradialis)

    All are 3 sets reps of 10,8,6 increasing the weight each set.

    These, in addition to the work my bis are getting from rows and pulldowns, are quite enough for me.
    Last edited by Aggression; 01-11-2005 at 02:54 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    779
    Speaking if Italy's avatar I have been wondering that forever just never asked. straight bar all the way bro, just don't let your forearms overpower your bi's, keep your wrist relaxed and really isolate your bi's.

  22. #22
    ReX357's Avatar
    ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,845
    Tried straight bar today (Always been doing it with a ez bar beforehand) and lemme say it's working the bicep way better. Don't be a pussy and use it even if it's harder on your wrists.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •