marka is offline Associate Member

Why strenght does not equal size?

Why is it that some people that lift the same weight, can have such different muscle size? Just genes?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Personally I think their diets are lacking... thats why they gain strength but not size.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    It's mostly genetics.

Chrizzum is offline Junior Member
    For the same reason that someone with much less muscle in their legs can sometimes beat a well defined sprinter in a race.

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    i think mostly genetics, but some diet as well.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrizzum
    For the same reason that someone with much less muscle in their legs can sometimes beat a well defined sprinter in a race.
    What would that reason be?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    People are different and their muscles come in different density. I'm not a small guy at 5 ft 10 255 lbs but I can usually outlift and put to shame dudes much bigger than myself in the gym.

Other factors that come into play are training methods. The biggest guy in my gym (muscle wise) is about 6 ft 295 but he works with 225 on the bench and military presses with 135, he is a body builder that concentrates on swelling his muscles up and not shooting for power. For me the look means nothing without the strength to back it up.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by marka
    Why is it that some people that lift the same weight, can have such different muscle size? Just genes?
    Think of it this way. Force=(mass)(acceleration) you can improve your strength either by improving M or A or both. Bodybuilders get stronger because of increased mass Force=(higher mass)(acceleration). Powerlifters on the other hand train their central nervous system more so, as a result, neurilogically, they are more efficient and they train their muscles to fire out at the same time. They train on moving the bar faster too, thats what it means to have higher power. Force=(mass)(higher acceleration). their are some who are born and gifted with the ability to of a powerlifter. their central nervous system is more efficient. all their muscle fibers fire out at the same time. as a result, they can move the bar faster.
    i believe that every individual can impro ve on any part of the equasion

i have seen people like you are talking about, and what i said before seems pretty logical.

marka is offline Associate Member
    Great answers. Thanks.

Odin is offline Member
    Well power and size mut go together some cause All the top bodybuilder can use some pretty serious weight. I'm sure Ronnie coleman would not waist his time squating heaving weight and putting his body at risk if lighter weight would do the trick. I always get a kick at looking at these smaller guys lift more weight the the big dudes. Look close enough and you might really see why. From what I have seen they lift faster which fast lifting does not recruit muscle fibers like slower lifting. Then they might have shorter arms or legs or better connected joins. If your really want to cheat and lift more you will. Just look at how many people on this forum claim to bench so much or squat so much and their build does not even look close to doing it.

maxex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marka
    I think it depends on how they move the weight. i see people at my gym curling 65 lb dumbells and there arms are nothing to brag about because they are not doing it properly, I have 19 1/2 inch arms and the most i curl is 60lbs w/ dumbells right now. It is alot harder to lift lighter weight the proper way than to lift heavy weight the wrong way.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Ratio of fast/slow twitch fibers. Origin and insertion of muscles. Anthropometrics. Style of training. Level of neuromuscular adaptation. Technique. Experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    Well power and size mut go together some cause All the top bodybuilder can use some pretty serious weight. I'm sure Ronnie coleman would not waist his time squating heaving weight and putting his body at risk if lighter weight would do the trick. I always get a kick at looking at these smaller guys lift more weight the the big dudes. Look close enough and you might really see why. From what I have seen they lift faster which fast lifting does not recruit muscle fibers like slower lifting. Then they might have shorter arms or legs or better connected joins. If your really want to cheat and lift more you will. Just look at how many people on this forum claim to bench so much or squat so much and their build does not even look close to doing it.
    wrong. the faster you move the weight, the more muscle is recrutited on the positve. maybe they are letting it come down to fast because they are not controling it and are bouncing it off their chest. the fact is, that controling the bar on the way down and moving it up as fast as possible is how you recruit more muscle.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    What would that reason be?
    Yeah, that's what I was going to ask, .

~SC~

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Just look at how many people on this forum claim to bench so much or squat so much and their build does not even look close to doing it.
    Can you point out a few examples?

~SC~

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Can you point out a few examples?

~SC~
    LOL, quit trying to cause trouble, SwoleCat.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Yeah, that's what I was going to ask, .

~SC~
    haha tru im like whati? lol

Odin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    wrong. the faster you move the weight, the more muscle is recrutited on the positve. maybe they are letting it come down to fast because they are not controling it and are bouncing it off their chest. the fact is, that controling the bar on the way down and moving it up as fast as possible is how you recruit more muscle.
    I'm wrong huh? Well if you generate enough force at the begining of any lift the bar will be traveling with enough momentum for the muscles and the end of the lift do not be stimulated. Johnny Jackson states that the key too bicepts is 6 super slow reps on the barrbell curl. Surely he would be going faster on the way up if he felt it built bigger mucles. Ok if your benching as your able to power the bar up fast, their will be enough momentum going up that the triceps will not be effected much at all. From all the video's I have seem of Big time bodybuilders, I don't recall them exloding the lifts off fast. Really to be honest? How the hell can you even squeeze and feel the muscles through a full movement when exploding this fast??

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    They have studies that doing slow reps makes no difference you don not build more muscle

Odin is offline Member
    The goal when lifting should be to get the same resistence throughout the hole range of movement. I used to lift faster and I never felt the squeeze at the end of the reps as I do now, I'm also about 50 pounds heavier too and that just in 1.5 years.

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    well maybe you didnt have proper form because super slow reps is such a crock

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It comes down to a combination of genetics and training. If you hold training fixed and only consider biological reasons which range from different muscle fibre makeups, neurolgical response times, mechanical leverage and joint relationships, and a myriad of other biological factors.

clancywiggum is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Ratio of fast/slow twitch fibers. Origin and insertion of muscles. Anthropometrics. Style of training. Level of neuromuscular adaptation. Technique. Experience.
    Bingo.

I'm wrong huh? Well if you generate enough force at the begining of any lift the bar will be traveling with enough momentum for the muscles and the end of the lift do not be stimulated. Johnny Jackson states that the key too bicepts is 6 super slow reps on the barrbell curl. Surely he would be going faster on the way up if he felt it built bigger mucles. Ok if your benching as your able to power the bar up fast, their will be enough momentum going up that the triceps will not be effected much at all. From all the video's I have seem of Big time bodybuilders, I don't recall them exloding the lifts off fast. Really to be honest? How the hell can you even squeeze and feel the muscles through a full movement when exploding this fast??
    ya, you still are wrong. for a heavy set , even though you may be using explosion you will not be moving the bar fast enough on the way up to even cause excessive momentum due to the heavy weight. really, i could give 2 ****s what Mr. Johny Jackson has to say. I am not jonhy jackson and neither are you. big bis most likely come from 3-400 pound b.b rows and having a massive back. why do you think lifters use rubber bands and chains? explosion causes fast twitch fiber recruitment. even though the big time bodybuilders are not moving the weight fast, it is very possible that the wiehgt is heavy enough giving the elusion of a slow rep even though they are pushing with all their might
    Last edited by IronReload04; 01-10-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Odin is offline Member
    I should not say that I lift slow, I do agree with you that when you lift heavy enough that it seems slow. I lift DC sytle so I never really lift lift so their no chance of going fast. Getting back to the main subject to compare a skinny guy and and a bigger guy in strength; the form, range of motion, and way the weight is handle should be the same.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You guys are confusing the speed of the lift itself with the speed of contraction of your muscle fibers. Two totally different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    This information is absolutely correct.

I should not say that I lift slow, I do agree with you that when you lift heavy enough that it seems slow. I lift DC sytle so I never really lift lift so their no chance of going fast. Getting back to the main subject to compare a skinny guy and and a bigger guy in strength; the form, range of motion, and way the weight is handle should be the same.
    i lift dc style to. its good stuff

Thread Information