impackt22 is offline Associate Member

cardio after weights?

I just bought a treadmill and have a question. I go to the gym 4 days a week and do weights. I also take my protein/dextrose shake immediately after I train. My question is can I come home after the gym and do cardio? If so, do I still take that shake after I do weights? sorry for the confusion! I just took a eca stack!!!!!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Doing cardio after weights is a bad idea.

Doing cardio after weights and DEXTROSE is a VERY BAD IDEA.

~SC~

thats why I am asking you guys.....so what do I do then? Do cardio 3 days a week?

ONaMission is offline Junior Member
    i do it every day first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

I dont feel like getting up at 5:30am just to do cardio!!

ONaMission is offline Junior Member
    I saw the other day that you can do it 3 hours after your last meal....but i'm no expert. I'd rather just go to bed 45 mins earlier, get up 45 mins earlier and know i'm actually making progress.

Duma is offline Associate Member
    swole if youre just doing like fatburn for 20 mins after a pump is it ok? i figure my body still has that window of opportunity to suck of my PWO

Duma is offline Associate Member
    suck up my PWO, excuse me

Quote Originally Posted by impackt22
    Well, then I'd seriously ask myself how much I am into fitness, and if it's worth it.

Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.

If it's not, you'll go no-where.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by Duma
    swole if youre just doing like fatburn for 20 mins after a pump is it ok? i figure my body still has that window of opportunity to suck of my PWO
    No, u cut into recovery and extend catabolism for one. Secondly, 20 mins ain't sh*t for cardio, and once you slam the pwo shake offering, you IMMEDIATELY blunt lipolysis (fat burning), and that's totally unproductive.

~SC~

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    45 minutes, before first meal of the day. Get hard core. Train like you life depends on it... because it does.

mass junkie is offline banned
    I think the more important thing is that you're getting your cardio in period.

Some people like swole think its a good idea to do it in the morning...other competitiors think that by doing it in the morning on an empty stomach is even more catablolic and should be done at night.

Imho there is no need to get so technical about it...just get your cardio in and be done with it

The key area that needs to be included in the debate as to "when" cardio is done, is NUTRITION.

I teach/coach on mostly the a.m. cardio principal, not only because of it's extreme effectiveness, but because the Eating Patterns in my programs directly address any catabolism concerns, thus making those concerns null/void.

Cardio at any time is not catabolic, provided you know how to eat correctly the other 23+ hours of the day.

~SC~

MER
    MER is offline Member
    Getting ready for a comp cat. You recommend 30 mins first thing in the morning on an empty stomache at medium intensity yes? This does not put you in a catabolic state as you haven't eaten in 6-8 hours? I usually do 20 mins of intense cardio in the afternoon when cutting down.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    The key area that needs to be included in the debate as to "when" cardio is done, is NUTRITION.

I teach/coach on mostly the a.m. cardio principal, not only because of it's extreme effectiveness, but because the Eating Patterns in my programs directly address any catabolism concerns, thus making those concerns null/void.

Cardio at any time is not catabolic, provided you know how to eat correctly the other 23+ hours of the day.

~SC~
    Obviously Im no expert..but common sence tells me that sleeping the recommended 8 hours and then doing cardio upon waking on an empty stomach is more catabolic then doing cardio after training.... even if you dont dont have a pre work out meal..

We're talking about the benefits of cardio during bulking not cutting right?

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Obviously Im no expert..but common sence tells me that sleeping the recommended 8 hours and then doing cardio upon waking on an empty stomach is more catabolic then doing cardio after training.... even if you dont dont have a pre work out meal..

We're talking about the benefits of cardio during bulking not cutting right?
    1) You are assuming that one would go a full 8 hours w/no nutrients.

2) As well, the TYPE of cardio one does a.m. on E is very important in what is burned, fat or muscle.

3) In addition, after strenuous weight training activity, do you not think the body is in a relatively catabolic state? Indeed it is, more-so than just sleeping/recovering over-night, as you've just finished taxing the sh*t out of the CNS. Jumping on a cardio apparatus is the LAST thing you'd want to do, and sending mixed signals of anabolism (anaerobics) with aerobics is also not a bright idea. It amazes me how people shy away from a.m. cardio because of the "catabolism" rumor, yet they will do cardio after weights as if they are in a perfect state of positive nitrogen balance. Such is NOT the case. As well, once you FINISH that cardio after weights, you slam a pwo shake offering of dextrose/isolate (ideally if your goal is to gain/support lean mass) thus creating an immediate rise in insulin levels which IMMEDIATELY blunts lipolysis in it's tracks. Not very productive for fat burning now is it? Morning sessions on E can have one ride the wave of lipolysis for MANY hours after, thus increasing the results of the cardio performed.

I'll leave it at that, as I just d*mn near wrote a thesis on this at the John Stone Forums over the course of the last week.

Do what you need to do for YOU, that is best. I've found something that works, and works very well, hence me being me, my biz, clients, success, etc.

Peace brutha!

~SC~

I should mention that my stance was from a cutting POV, but I don't see why anyone would want to do cardio after weights while bulking EVER anyhow. I'd do it on off days to increase circulation, bring blood to the worked areas, and speed recovery.

~SC~

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by impackt22

That says it all right there!

For reference, I was up @ 5 a.m. this morning doing work, then at 6 a.m. I did cardio for 45 mins, showered and dressed, at my first meal, and I am here again working.

Whatever it takes for results I do.

~SC~

Thread Information