Chucks is offline New Member

Newb needs help!

Well i decided to read some of the rules before hosting so I could make an easier post for u guys to read.

Hey, I'm 17 and I really want to start getting a bigger/bulker body. I've been a fat kid all the way up till i was 15 and lost heaps of weight. I'm quite skinny now and I'm not happy the way my body looks, I really want to change (i've never REALLY been happy with how it has looked). I have no Idea how to start or what i should eat. Right now I weigh 65kg's (Sorry I'm from australia dont know whats that in pounds atm) I'm not sure what bodyfat % i have. I'm about 180-190cm tall.

I guess I'm still a beginner just getting the mind-muscle connection. I have pretty much have no knowledge of or experience. I only have a bench and dumbells but I think thats all I'll need. I'm not aiming to be mr. universe or anything. I guess I just want to get better body mass and tone. Right now I can only do 3 sets of 10 reps with 30kg's on the bench and 3 sets of 10 reps with 10kg's bicep curls. But thats all I have tried to do so far.

I have no injuries to speak of and I would only be taking protein shakes i guess, no steroids or anything. My brother gave me advice to either bulk up OR burn fat, not try and do both at the same time. So i was thinking a year would be a good length of time to give myself to get a better bod. He said to me to just eat heaps and do heaps of weight for about 10-11 months and the last 1-2 months burning fat. But I have never been good at losing fat so I think I should start burning fat earlier. I dont know how true this advice is.

Sorry for the long post guys, I hope I posted this in the right area as well. Thanks for any help you guys can give,
    Jon

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    your in the right place, here and the diet forum. post your workout here for advice and your diet in the diet forum. good luck

Ahh, well I dont really have a plan, I basically do benchpress, biceps and crunches till i cant do them anymore cos my muscles feel weak, then I wait a couple of days or until they stop hurting and do it again...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Don't make the NEWBIE mistake of never working legs to have a prison physique.

If you really want SIZE, work the LEGS!!! Squats/deads/leg press.

Fore-go the wimpy ass leg extensions, lunges, etc.

~SC~

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Don't make the NEWBIE mistake of never working legs to have a prison physique.

If you really want SIZE, work the LEGS!!! Squats/deads/leg press.

Fore-go the wimpy ass leg extensions, lunges, etc.

~SC~
    He said he was at home and he only had a bench and dbs. How can he leg press?!

Yo Chuck, how much weights do you have total? If you have enough, I'd suggest you do squats & deadlifts like swole suggested.

I have plenty. And I can get more when I want so its not a problem .Deadlifts and squats as well. sounds good. I'll come back with workout plan incorporating some more excerices I can do with dumbells and the bench and see what you guys think. Thanks.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Can u get to a gym or are u isolated to work out at home?

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Did anyone miss that he is 17 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by slizzut
    Did anyone miss that he is 17 years old?
    True, you'll be banned because you are under-age for the board. However, keep it up and do your best!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    He said he was at home and he only had a bench and dbs. How can he leg press?!
    He stated "I think that's all I need", suggesting he may be able to obtain more equipment if need be, hence my suggestion.

~SC~

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I suggest you read the bulking sticky and live by it religiously and you will achieve your goals no problem.

Rome was'nt built in a day my friend. Start by educating yourself on diet/nutrition and lift your ass off.

3-5 reps max if you are bulking, if you can lift it for 8-10 reps..it is to light, up the weight until you are squeeking out 3-5reps.

Good luck, you are young and will make great progress if you eat and train properly.

Ask yourself this:

How bad do i want this?

We all make sacrifices whether it be time, food etc....Believe me, it is all worth it and sooner or later it will become nothing more than routine for you.

Good luck!

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, stick to it and you will see great gains in strength and size.

jonnytour is offline Member
    Good luck kid! Keep lifting and eating. You'll get there. I wish I started that young.

Keep on keepin on!
    Jonny.

GrdLock is offline Junior Member
    When I first started lifting weights, I found it much easier to stay on a plan if I had a friend lifting with me. Back then, it wasn't part of my routine, so I'd find it very easy to just be like "Ehh, I don't really need to go today, I got this and this to do". But if I had someone that was supposed to go up to the gym with me, I'd make myself go even if I didn't want to. A workout partner also helps you not wimp out on sets.

After a few months of going to the gym with friends, it's now just a part of my daily life, and I don't need anyone to go with me to go... hell, if I don't make a day at the gym I'll feel guilty, like I'm cheating myself, and as if something's missing out of my day.

Just a little tip that may help if you have problems staying focused on working out on a daily or almost daily basis.

And yes, as someone else said, don't leave your legs behind. I made that mistake. I lifted for a year and a half, just upper body. I finally realized that it was stupid, and my upper body was getting big while I still had chicken legs. That was a long time ago, and I still don't feel like my legs are caught up to where they should be yet.

Thread Information