se11 is offline Associate Member

Arms, very bulky, cardio/diet to get cut.

My arms have been bulky for the last year or so. They are pretty good and muscular when I flex them, but they are still bulky. If I want to get them cut what should I do? I have currently tightened up my diet to a cutting one, I do cardio almost every day now for longer times. I am taking more of a cutting view on things now. Is this the right approach?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Cardio and diet. These variables will take fat from all over your body and use it for fuel. There is no way to spot reduced the fat on your arms. What do you mean by "cutting view?" Do not lift light to get cut if that is what you meant. Continue to train heavy and stimulate the muscle to it fullest potential during this negative kcal balance.

I was bulking. I didn't really follow a diet and care about too much. Now I am tightening up, eating good and clean, doing better cardio and focusing of getting cut, not gaining mass.

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    What is your bodyfat %? What is your overall goal? Diet and cardio are the key. But you need to have a destination.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    do more reps/lesss weight. 12-15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    do more reps/lesss weight. 12-15 reps
    Do not do this!

to cut up involves diet and high reps no?

Diet, yes. High reps, No. Doing high reps causes you to decrease your weight. The decrease in weight used will cause the muscle to adapt to "whatever" that weight may be that you are using. For example, if you are trying to add mass and curling 60lb dumbbells for sets of 8, then when you cut, you curl 40lbs for sets of "high reps," the muscle will atrophy to accomodate the load of 40lbs. Of course, you probably won't be able to use the same weight when cutting/dieting, but the stress/stimulus to the muscle needs to be as strong as humanly possible to prevent atrophy because when you are cutting, you are in a negative energy/kcal balance, so you body is basically feeding off itself during that time. Your body needs a super strong message to maintain your current muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Diet, yes. High reps, No. Doing high reps causes you to decrease your weight. The decrease in weight used will cause the muscle to adapt to "whatever" that weight may be that you are using. For example, if you are trying to add mass and curling 60lb dumbbells for sets of 8, then when you cut, you curl 40lbs for sets of "high reps," the muscle will atrophy to accomodate the load of 40lbs. Of course, you probably won't be able to use the same weight when cutting/dieting, but the stress/stimulus to the muscle needs to be as strong as humanly possible to prevent atrophy because when you are cutting, you are in a negative energy/kcal balance, so you body is basically feeding off itself during that time. Your body needs a super strong message to maintain your current muscle.

thanks mate

mitch911 is offline Member
    always wondered about that good post hypertrophy

so should i just stick to my regular routine?

should i just stick to my regular routine or do i need to add something else?

Thread Information