GQplaya is offline Associate Member

How bad does smoking affect training?

I am 23 been smoking since 15. I started working out 4 yrs ago. Does anyone thinkm my gains would be greatly improved if i quit alltogether. I smoke a little less than a pack a day. Has anyone ever smoked then quit and had better results?

seanw is offline Banned
    Probably, not to mention extending your life by a few more years, never an issue for people your age but when you get older you will regret it. A friend of mine has smoked all his life, he is 53 and been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Just my humble opinion, but any smoking is bad. It doesn't make sense to do so much to benefit your body and then smoke as well. I'd lose the smokes, bro.

yeah i kno, but its the not the fact that i cant stop it just that i enjoy it. or maybe im im denial, lol.

seanw is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GQplaya
    yeah i kno, but its the not the fact that i cant stop it just that i enjoy it. or maybe im im denial, lol.
    Mate Heroin addicts enjoy it as well, that doesnt make it less bad for your health.

MER
    MER is offline Member
    Smoking has no benefits and has shown in many studies to decrease all types of athletic performance.

Danielle is offline Female Member
    doesnt smoking like totally kill your endurance, as well?.....my friend who smokes is always tired and lazy
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

seanw is offline Banned
    Danielle that is a hot Avatar.

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Bro - I quit smoking last year (03/3004 to be exact) - after 15 years. There is no rule about quitting. Do it today! It never gets any easier. You will feel much, much, much better once you get over the initial shock. You will look back on quitting with great pride, because it is sooo difficult, but once done it brings profound confidence and well being into you life.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    doesnt smoking like totally kill your endurance, as well?.....my friend who smokes is always tired and lazy
    Maybe a little but, im usually hyperactive so i dont think it make much of a difference. I can still work out for 1.5 hours and do heavy cardio and not be out of breath. But i want more and i think smoking is holding back me looking and feeling my best. 4 example if i meet a chic then i go on a date with her espically if she is a non smoker is must be a major turnoff when im lightin up left and right. And its even worse cause i smoke more when i go out on the weekends

gya321 is offline Member
    Definetly drop the cigs. They dont help anything. Think of the huge list of bad things they do and on the other side there isnt even one positive. Go for a walk whenever you want the smoke or do something productive. Good luck

Aboot is offline Banned
    Plus, when you walk into a gym smelling like an ash tray you piss people off (like me).

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    And it's expensive bro. That's money that can be spent on food/supplements.

gya321 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boondockSAINT
    And it's expensive bro. That's money that can be spent on food/supplements.
    Another good point. Plus you'll get better gains cycling test and deca instead of camel and marlboro.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I am 23 been smoking since 15. I started working out 4 yrs ago. Does anyone thinkm my gains would be greatly improved if i quit alltogether. I smoke a little less than a pack a day. Has anyone ever smoked then quit and had better results?
    That's a lot of stogues a day!!

Yes, quitting would help you a TON!!!!!!!!

I'll admit that I used to smoke about 7 years ago. My uncle died from smoking at the ripe age of 42. I saw his lungs during the autopsy, and that was MORE THAN ENOUGH to get me to quit.

Went home, took my 3 packs of cancer sticks, and tossed them all in the fireplace. That was the end for me.

Sometimes it takes an extreme example to get one to quit. You just want to hope the example is not YOU.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-07-2005 at 08:10 AM.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    [QUOTE=Hot-Rox]Bro - I quit smoking last year (03/3004 to be exact)

i knew there was somone on this board that was from the future j/k. i dont know that you will be gaining faster or getting stronger if you dont smoke but it is just not healthy to do it. I have tried smoking a few times when i was younger and everytime i sucked that garbage in I thought i was going to die. My dad smoked from the time he was 16 until he was in his forties and he has all kinds of health problems right now (he is 56). It is just not healthy and you already knew this. kick the habit and spend the money you save on supps.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    How about the side benefit of increasing your appetite from quiting? If you are fat and trying to lose some b/f you need oxygen to cause lipsolis and having good respiratory system is vital. Lung capacity will increase thus endurance all very good. I sometimes see people throw their butts away before entering the gym, then go work out(or try to..) beats me why?? Getting serious about your health and body is a life change and that includes stopping smoking evan Pot.. Bottom line is YES it will help, good luck you can do it. My closest buddy finally quit after 25 yrs of smoking as his circulation was not good and now he tells me he feels much much better, remember the lungs have the abilty to partially recover from damage but it must not be to advance.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Man def quit!! You'll be able to perform cardio lol.. To me smoking and working out is like racing a honda whats the point

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Man def quit!! You'll be able to perform cardio lol.. To me smoking and working out is like racing a honda whats the point
    HAHA, true that!!! QUITTT MAN

maxex is offline Member
    Yes you will see better gains, immediatly, like with in 2 weeks, ull feel stronger & healthier. When you light up after a work out, (which if your a smoker thats a givin) you just turned what you thaought was a 110%workout into a 60% - 70% workout. Also, dont plan on picking up chicks in the gym cuz if you just smoked and you walk into a gym the whole place now knows you smoke.

aggghhh, i smoked ,my last cig today im offically done. My longest in the past was a month but im gonna stick to it for life now. At my age i have not been smokin to long so i could prob reverse 70% of the dmage done if not more.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    aggghhh, i smoked ,my last cig today im offically done. My longest in the past was a month but im gonna stick to it for life now. At my age i have not been smokin to long so i could prob reverse 70% of the dmage done if not more.
    My ex's mother was working in a hospital researching for heart and lung diseases and she told me that usualy, before 25 years old, if you stop smoking, you're lungs will be able to recover 100% in about 7 years. Good job stopping, I stopped almost a year ago (In 3 weeks it will be 1 year)

Peace bro!
    Last edited by ReX357; 01-08-2005 at 03:36 AM.

good job rex , i hope i can make it to that point

kahoona32 is offline New Member
    I made a hella lot more gains after I quit smoking.
    BTW, Markus Ruhl Smokes. Kinda funny looking too.

unclemoney is offline Senior Member
    I didn't know Ruhl smoked, he looks awesome though...

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kahoona32
    I made a hella lot more gains after I quit smoking.
    BTW, Markus Ruhl Smokes. Kinda funny looking too.
    crazy never knew that

meatwod is offline New Member
    In my own experience, yes, quitting will help you gain. Cigarettes are an appetite suppressor so if nothing else it will allow you to eat more and more often if you quite. That's why you always hear smokers say "no...I don't want to quite right now, ill get fat. Know, if you'll excuse me.......there's a crack pipe with my name on it.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    make sure u really quit cuz i quit 6 times its been 3 months now but i took like 6 cigs yesterday dunno if that counts

LittleNate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Plus, when you walk into a gym smelling like an ash tray you piss people off (like me).

that **** pisses me off

just quit bro

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Great job 'playa! Congrats on your decision to improve your life!!

yooo is offline Associate Member
    Go to the the Lounge and check out the video someone posted of Markus Rhul in the supermarket..when we gets out the first thing he does is light up a cowboy killa...lol oh well!

wtup is offline New Member
    Great work man! Good to hear you quit. I recently quit (been about a week and a bit) and I feel 1000x better now. I have more natural energy, increased libido AND my appetite increased 10 fold. Adapting to my new diet is going to be a breeze! Keep it up man

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Qutting is tough for sure, I smoke casually, after a fire, when drinking or when up north fishing or hunting. I have always beeen able to turn it off when needed. But the effects it has your cardiovascular system and pulmonary system is terrible. Congrats!!!

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    I quit smoking at beginning of the year. I started smoking at 15 and continued until age 39... I been 3.5 weeks off cigarettes... no dramatic improvement in health or ability to work out but I smell smells better, actually BAD smells are more noticable. I smell body odors from others and myself, farts, sheet, etc all are more noticable. The smell of diesel behind busses and trucks are way more noticable. My appetite is much better and as a result I am growing more in my workout program, but I think I smoked so many years its going to take more then 3 weeks off of smoking to notice any more improvements in my health. For that matter I think I was rather healthy for a smoker, never had a cough, alergies, never catch a cold but once every 12 years, blood tests always showed more vigorous then normal immune system, etc. Could hold my breath underwater 5 minutes, etc.

singern is offline Banned
    I smoked for more than 20 years, and quit when I was 40 (3 years ago). unlike most ex-smokers I still crave them, but I can tell you my renewed endurance during cardio, and outlook on life are worth the effort.
    Good luck..

Thread Information