boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

INCLINE BENCH and SHOULDERS

I just added incline bench to my routine, and since then my military press has lost some poundage. I'm hoping it's not a coincidence, and that my shoulders are getting worked in the Incline Bench. My routine is like this:

Flat Bench 5x5
    Incline Bench 3x8
    Military Press 5x5
    Close-Grip Bench 5x5

I was doing 165 for 5 sets of 5 on the military before adding the incline, but now I can only get 4 reps everytime. I tried shocking the muscles today by doing negatives and then trying to blast them with light 135lb presses, but I could only get 7! Please tell me the incline bench is pre-exhausting my shoulders and I'm not being a complete p*ssy. Or just tell me the truth. Thanks.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    depends how high the incline is. i think 30 degrees is what incline bench should be if working chest. anythning over 30 and i think it does hit shoulders more.

someone let me know if i am wrong

Iowa is offline Banned
    On any type of bench, whether it be flat, incline, or decline; you're using your deltoids. Decline use less delts, followed by flat, then incline uses the most. So by you doing incline, especially before military, this definately taxes your delts.
    Next time, try military first and I guarantee that it will be higher than what it was when you did it after your flat, incline.

yooo is offline Associate Member
    Do you do Chest, Shoulders, Tris on the same day? j/w

Quote Originally Posted by yooo
    Do you do Chest, Shoulders, Tris on the same day? j/w
    Yes, 3-day split. Legs one day. Chest / Shoulder / Triceps one day. Back / Biceps / forearms one day.

Quote Originally Posted by IOWA
    Next time, try military first and I guarantee that it will be higher than what it was when you did it after your flat, incline.
    Thanks man. I'm going to be doing a little less weight in one of the exercises no matter how I do it. Would it be best to hit the shoulders before upper chest?

Swellin Guest
    Using a slight incline instead of the fixed benches will help a great deal. I try to set the bench at 20* instead of the 45*-60* fixed stuff. That puts too much emphassis on your shoulders and not enough on your pecs.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the incline presses are pre-exhausting your shoulders enough to decrease performance.

Thanks for the responses.

Moosepellet is offline Member
    Military Press are not good in the first place, it puts a lot of strain on deltoids and joints. Do regular shoulder presses, and not on a day that your going to do chest.

Chest/Tri's
    Back/Bi's
    Shoulders/Tri's
    Legs/Bi's

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    No way in blue h*ll I could train bi's the second day after I hit them, triceps either. The way I train, I am sore for 3 days after.

Up that intensity.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by Moosepellet
    Military Press are not good in the first place, it puts a lot of strain on deltoids and joints. Do regular shoulder presses, and not on a day that your going to do chest.

Chest/Tri's
    Back/Bi's
    Shoulders/Tri's
    Legs/Bi's

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    No way in blue h*ll I could train bi's the second day after I hit them, triceps either. The way I train, I am sore for 3 days after.

Up that intensity.

~SC~
    He speaks the truth! If you aren't too sore to work it two days later...you were not effective enough when you worked it the first time. This does not mean to do more sets and more exercises though! Just up the weight, watch the from, and beat the hell out of them the first time.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Why don't you change the incline bench press for incline dumbell press? Would be less taxing for your shoulders... Just an opinion.

Swellin Guest
    Actually, most people end up using the wrong plane with db inclines, and work shoulders more than chest. Next time you are in the gym, watch the folks performing this exercise. They will be moving the weight in line with their chin instead of their chest. This hits the shoulders much more than the chest.

Am I right saying that the right plane for db inclines is perpendicular to the ground?

Swellin Guest
    You can move them perpendicular to the ground while being over the wrong area (difficult, but I have witnessed it...don't know how the guy's shoulders still work though).

Pretty much on a perp plane...over the pecs....not the shoulders or chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    You can move them perpendicular to the ground while being over the wrong area (difficult, but I have witnessed it...don't know how the guy's shoulders still work though).

Pretty much on a perp plane...over the pecs....not the shoulders or chin.
    Good that's what I'm doin'... I'm trying to make sure the db's are in line with my upper chest and not my collar bone or higher.

It's weird you talk about that, cause while doing my pec yesterday, another guy at my gym was doing it at the same time and I witnessed what you talked about: pushing with his shoulders back... He had the dumbells on each side of his head. I was wondering if he felt anything in his pec...

Thanks for the info bro.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    He speaks the truth! If you aren't too sore to work it two days later...you were not effective enough when you worked it the first time. This does not mean to do more sets and more exercises though! Just up the weight, watch the from, and beat the hell out of them the first time.
    It might mean that he may have to do more sets and exercises...
    Kind of hard to say what the problem is without being there you know

Win94 is offline New Member
    Yes, 3-day split. Legs one day. Chest / Shoulder / Triceps one day. Back / Biceps / forearms one day
    Chest, shoulders and triceps on the same day???

If you can do that your not training hard enough.
    You might as well throw legs and back in their to on the same day and circuit train and become a marathon runner.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    try doing shoulders with back or its own day

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    It might mean that he may have to do more sets and exercises...
    Kind of hard to say what the problem is without being there you know
    99 times out of 100 (at the very least), it is not the need to increase volume, but rather the opposite that is true. While I know that you recently increased your volume and are very pleased, the safety issue is paramount. Volume without intensity is time wasted. Too much volume with intensity is time wasted (in the docotr's office).

Just be careful with it bro.

Thread Information