Be Real is offline Banned

4 days a week cardio too much?

I've cut my workout to 4 days a week due to extreme over training. Question is i've added in 25-30 minutes of cardio (running on treadmill) after each workout. I'm trying to lose some muscle and put on a more model/cut look with less of that walk into a room and oh crap that guys huge look. Not really lose muscle but just not look as huge and bulky. Anyways my question boils down to is 4 days of the cardio overtraining? I understand most of my look is going to come to changing my diet.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Too big. Jeez, what a problem to have. I wish i had such problems.

So basically you wanna get cut. then no, four days aint too much, in fact, it might not be enough. But that all depends on how fast your losses are comming. If they have slowed down or stopped, go to 5 days, then 6, then 7.
    Also remmeber to change your cardio workout every 3 weeks to avoid adaptation. ie. 3 weeks treadmill, 3 weeks bike, etc, etc.
    or if you don't have acces to more than one peice of equipment for cardio, intermix high intensity cardio for low intensity every 3 weeks. ie., 45 minutes low intensity for 3 weeks, 20-25 minutes high intensity for 3 weeks. This should keep plateuas at bay.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    depends on your goals....as you stated 4 days is prob fine. Less lifting and more cardio will make you smaller if thats what you want.

Jackman is offline Banned
    isnt it your heart rate that determains fat loss? i was not aware you could adapt to cardio? have any proof to back this up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    Too big. Jeez, what a problem to have. I wish i had such problems.

So basically you wanna get cut. then no, four days aint too much, in fact, it might not be enough. But that all depends on how fast your losses are comming. If they have slowed down or stopped, go to 5 days, then 6, then 7.
    Also remmeber to change your cardio workout every 3 weeks to avoid adaptation. ie. 3 weeks treadmill, 3 weeks bike, etc, etc.
    or if you don't have acces to more than one peice of equipment for cardio, intermix high intensity cardio for low intensity every 3 weeks. ie., 45 minutes low intensity for 3 weeks, 20-25 minutes high intensity for 3 weeks. This should keep plateuas at bay.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    no your body won't adapt to cardio as long as you keep the correct target heart rate. As far as too much cardio, not for what you are trying to accomplish, there is no such thing as too much.

jgg1221 is offline Member
    if i was you id seperate the days you do cardio and lifting. that would make a big impact as far as keeping muscular density and size....

you dont wanna wait an extra 45 minutes or however long to get that protein into the muscle cells
    i actually do cardio 4 days a week... an hour each day.
    but i dont do it the days i weight train

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    no your body won't adapt to cardio as long as you keep the correct target heart rate. As far as too much cardio, not for what you are trying to accomplish, there is no such thing as too much.

I got a messed up creatine kinase level, i got it down close to what it should bne then it went back up again on my next blood test. Doctor wrote on report do NOT exercise!!!! Do NOT life weights, I dont think i can do that. Just wondering if the cardio is breaking down too much muscle to cauase me th get that high CK score.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Running after weights.........

ummmmmm, okay........

I'm outta this one......

~SC~

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

That would be nice in a perfect world but since i'm not a personal trainer I have a certain amount of time I can be in the gym a day and must get in everything during that time. Would it be better to workout 4 days a week and then only do cardio 45 minutes a day for 2 additional days?

Quote Originally Posted by Be Real
    That would be nice in a perfect world but since i'm not a personal trainer I have a certain amount of time I can be in the gym a day and must get in everything during that time. Would it be better to workout 4 days a week and then only do cardio 45 minutes a day for 2 additional days?
    Depending on your goals, 4days/week working out, and 3 days/week cardio-only would be acceptable if you're not trying to lose a lot of BF.....

In the morning, on an empty stomach, is best for the 3 days....

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    studies show its more beneficial to do cardio before your workout

are you taking PWO shakes within 30 mins after your workout BeReal?

odrorir is offline Associate Member
    Do you have any of these studies handy?
    Pubmed is giving me trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k

Common sense comes into play..........

Cardio is somewhat tiring. Cardio is also best done in the AM on an empty stomach. For these reasons, and others, they should be split! Read the link I posted above.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'v read the opposite.
    When you say beneficial are you saying as far as warming the body up for the weight traing, or fat loss?
    I have read a few times that cardio after the weights burns more calories. This makes sense because GH and test are elevated and insulin is low.
    But who knows anything for sure?
    It probably doesn't matter how you plit it up, just "Git er done!"

by 'BEFORE' i dont mean right before (that moment) i mean a few hours before you lift

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Be Real....I think it is time for you to be real. Are you saying that actually want to reduce lean mass.....or are you asking the much more common question of reducing body fat? Because reducing lean mass would be easy (although why??). You would just alter your diet by reducing overall calories and protein. However, to reducing body fat you would be increasing cardio and using a cutting diet.

are you taking PWO shakes within 30 mins after your workout BeReal?

I eat a Peanut butter and jelly sandwitch immediately after workout and cardio then I eat a full meal 30-45 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Rox
    Be Real....I think it is time for you to be real. Are you saying that actually want to reduce lean mass.....or are you asking the much more common question of reducing body fat? Because reducing lean mass would be easy (although why??). You would just alter your diet by reducing overall calories and protein. However, to reducing body fat you would be increasing cardio and using a cutting diet.
    I am not trying to reduce lean mass by any means. I want to reduce my musculariity into a smaller package. I dont have much body fat(my abs show as well as partial serratus, thats me in the picture) but I want to lower my mass so I can have a more model like figure instead of bodybuilder. I was at 225 at 6'1 a few weeks ago, now i'm down to 215. I want to be around 198-200 but really cut.

tomaccojuice is offline New Member
    A good book that you might like can be found at www.warriorforce.com it is called "The Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness". All of the listed exercises in the book are bodyweight exercises (there a LOT) and conditioning. You will probably find that getting the cut look that you desire will be a little tougher than your average "30 minutes on a treadmill cardio". This book has everything you need to look cut, and the only equipment used is an ab wheel, pull-up bar, and a jump rope. Great book, I think you would like it.

Thread Information