HiFi is offline Associate Member

which training splits are best

ive been reading up on Hypertrophy specific training as well as DOGGCRAPP.. an im starting to believe more an more that training one muscle per week is not the best way to get big. anyone else agree an if so, whats your routine look like?

Monday-Chest/Triceps
    Tues.-Shoulders/Legs/Calves
    Wed.-Back/Biceps/Forearms
    Repeated through Saturday, day off Sunday
    That's what I do and it had yeilded great results for 'ME'

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFi
    ive been reading up on Hypertrophy specific training as well as DOGGCRAPP.. an im starting to believe more an more that training one muscle per week is not the best way to get big. anyone else agree an if so, whats your routine look like?
    Possibly, everyone is different. I got the biggest and strongest from doing westside which is more sport specific very different from an average bodybuilder hypertrophy program. Experiment and find out what works for you, but be open to try anything.

Quote Originally Posted by YounG_SluG11
    Monday-Chest/Triceps
    Tues.-Shoulders/Legs/Calves
    Wed.-Back/Biceps/Forearms
    Repeated through Saturday, day off Sunday
    That's what I do and it had yeilded great results for 'ME'

young - u are working out monday tues wed , then repeating the workout for thursday an friday an saturday.... is it really good to weight train 6 days in a row?

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    mon - legs
    tues - chest/shoulders
    wednesday - off
    thursday - back
    friday - arms

jgg1221 is offline Member
    i think it depends on how intensely you train the muscle

certainly doing extremely intense workouts twice a week is going to be too hard on the muscle
    go for more mild ones if you gonna do it twice a week

young - u are working out monday tues wed , then repeating the workout for thursday an friday an saturday.... is it really good to weight train 6 days in a row?
    For me it is. Like I said, I get great results. And I'm always full of energy for every workout.

For me it is. Like I said, I get great results. And I'm always full of energy for every workout.

schwarzeneggers encyclopedia to modern bodybuilding has a routine like that u are doing young slug.. i always thought it was too much, maybe ill try it...u don thave to answer but u said ur getin great results.. are u using any super supplements

Mon- Legs
    Tues- Chest Bi's
    Wed-OFF
    Thurs- Legs
    Fri- Shoulders-Tri
    Sat- Traps-back
    Sun- OFF
    Rotate calves and abs into week 1atatime

schwarzeneggers encyclopedia to modern bodybuilding has a routine like that u are doing young slug.. i always thought it was too much, maybe ill try it...u don thave to answer but u said ur getin great results.. are u using any super supplements
    No I'm not on anything right now, just good foods. It's kind of like Arnold's, but not as intense. His is crazy lol.

Stout1 is offline Banned
    I would go with the Doggcrap style of training if I were you.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Mon- Legs
    Tues- Chest Bi's
    Wed-OFF
    Thurs- Legs
    Fri- Shoulders-Tri
    Sat- Traps-back
    Sun- OFF
    Rotate calves and abs into week 1atatime

legs 2x a week??? i cant walk for 4 days after i do legs

Vicktor is offline New Member
    I prefer to hit muscles once a week, have seen the best gains that way

mn - shoulders, traps,
    tu - legs
    wd - off
    th - chest, tri
    fr - back, bi

Yes! I am blasting legs right now. I do not always do them 2x just right now. It is true that most all week I walk like a freak. Just hitting it hard for now. So far the growth has been tremendous. It will level out tho and then it's back to once a week.
    Just havin fun with it right now......No rules in training. just what feels and works good for you

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I used to do that, hit each bodypart twice a week hard. It was very effective in gaining mass but you have to know your body and monitor your lifts and training sessions, to warn you in time so that you don't over-train and start to catabolize muscle tissue. You will see that you hit a plateau, most try something new thats different and seems like it will help bust you thru the slump, but the best thing is rest. Over-training is the result of repeatedly training muscle groups that have not fully recovered. Thus, stagnant lifting numbers on the lifts using the given muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I used to do that, hit each bodypart twice a week hard. It was very effective in gaining mass but you have to know your body and monitor your lifts and training sessions, to warn you in time so that you don't over-train and start to catabolize muscle tissue. You will see that you hit a plateau, most try something new thats different and seems like it will help bust you thru the slump, but the best thing is rest. Over-training is the result of repeatedly training muscle groups that have not fully recovered. Thus, stagnant lifting numbers on the lifts using the given muscle.
    Exactly what I'm gonna do if I hit a platue. Haven't yet, but i do expect to.

nsa
    My current routine for this week:

monday - chest/tri's
    tuesday - back/bi's
    wednesday - rest
    thursday - Swole's leg routine (for now)
    friday - delts/traps

I consistently change my routine every few weeks; changing either weights, reps & sets or rest period manipulation. The biggest point to take from all of this is that variation in your training regimen is vital to long term growth. I've found that having a vast array of exercises to choose from for each muscle group helps when you need to change the exercises or change where a given exercise is located in the workout.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    What's been working for me for a while is an 8 day split

Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Back
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Quads / Hamstrings / Calves
    Day 5: Off
    Day 6: Shoulders / Traps
    Day 7: Biceps / Triceps / Forearms
    Day 8: Off

I never do abs at the gym. I always work'em at home later in the night before going to bed.

I never overtrain and my weights are always going up. If I go with lower rest, I start to get tired and have lazier workouts. Is it just working for me or anyone else use this kind of split?

nsa
    Exactly what I'm gonna do if I hit a platue. Haven't yet, but i do expect to.
    There are few things you can do when you hit a plataue, it all depends on what is causing the platuae. So if its improper form go back to the basic of good form and see if that helps, or manipulate the set-rep schemes for the workout, or change the exercises, or try forced reps. Bottom line -- you need to have variation in your regimen, the human body adapts to the same stress over time, so to combat this we change exercises and move around others while manipulating set/reps/load and thus keeping our neuromuscular system, circulatory sytem, endocrine system and CNS guessing as to what kind of stress is coming next, so as to stimulate new growth when the stress is different or greater than the body has adapted to. Along with a healthy diet Variation/Progressive-training = steady consistent new muscle growth. And that is what we all are working towards when we're in the gym.

But everyone do yourself a favor and look into training methods and how you can arrange cycle periods of different training methods to gain. I have found that the 3 things that are essential to sculpting a perfect body is a good healthy diet(to suit your goals), good progressive varying training methods and supplementation when needed to fix a given defiency.

nsa
    The red sign that goes up when you hit a platuae is stagnant weights for lifts. If your trying and you can't do 2.5 lbs. more than the last time time you did that lift and it continues longer than a week you are probably experiencing the on-set of an over-training/catabolic state. In which case you should lower the volume and load of your regimen and rest more, remember we grow in our sleep, not in the gym. Your body like something from a sci-fi movie replenishes, restores and heals itself when it needs to. All this, while constantly working to create a homeostatic equilibrium in the body.

singern is offline Banned
    Training splits should be changed periodically, as your body adjusts to the new routine your gains will diminish, a new routine should be implemented.

Currently I'm trying something new. Its referred to as the PUSH. PULL, LEGS split. I do this every other day, cardio on the off days for 1 hour.
    This has helped me cut dramatically.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I hit everything twice per week, but I know the amount of volume/intensity to use in each session so I am fully recovered and ready to go the next session.

It doesn't take a week to recover and grow, it's possible to get 2-3 growth periods during the week by taxing the muscle to make it adapt/change, and nothing more, meaning avoiding over-training and CNS damage that is the culprit in over-training.

~SC~

Tnoel is offline New Member
    I think you have to play around and see what works best for you.

Vicktor is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I hit everything twice per week, but I know the amount of volume/intensity to use in each session so I am fully recovered and ready to go the next session.
    It doesn't take a week to recover and grow, it's possible to get 2-3 growth periods during the week by taxing the muscle to make it adapt/change, and nothing more, meaning avoiding over-training and CNS damage that is the culprit in over-training.
    What is your split? I tried the twice per week without much success.

Natural1 is offline Associate Member
    When you are doing the 2x per week split, is one day heavy and the other day light? or how is it done, same reps and weight just do it 2days a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural1
    When you are doing the 2x per week split, is one day heavy and the other day light? or how is it done, same reps and weight just do it 2days a week?
    I usually go heavy the first time around, and a little lighter the next to avoid over-training muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicktor
    I tried the twice per week without much success.
    It's safe to say you did too much in each session, hence the lack of success.

~SC~

Natural1 is offline Associate Member
    I usually go heavy the first time around, and a little lighter the next to avoid over-training muscles.
    thanks man. anyone else try this method of 2x per week with one light day and one heavy day? Any success?

mitch911 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    so do you train DC style

I afraid not, no, I train ~SC~ style of course.

~SC~

mitch911 is offline Member
    hahaha how many sets would u say is alright per muscle group per session so i do not overtrain...i currently do 12 per muscle group

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    hahaha how many sets would u say is alright per muscle group per session so i do not overtrain...i currently do 12 per muscle group
    It depends on the muscle group being worked.

Thread Information