Thread: Leg workout

allsaucedup is offline Member

Leg workout

Last night i worked out with this guy who used to play olympic level volleyball. he has huge legs and can jump out of the gym when we play basketball. Our workout consisted of 8 supersets of squats and leg press 10 reps of squats starting at 185 and making our way up to 315 after each set of squats you run to the leg press and pump out 15 reps of 270. I have never sweated so much in my whole life this was and extremely intense workout. I woke up this morning to go do cardio and had to pick my legs up of my bed one at a time with my hands I am so sore i dont know if i can do this every week but is was a good shock to the routine.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    You do realize that squats and leg presses are recognized as the SAME movement to your legs?

Watch that, you can over-train VERY easily, and you'll get weaker instead of stronger.

Hit the squats harder and leave the leg presses alone, or vice versa. If your intensity is up, you shouldn't be able to run to another machine and do more work. If so, you aren't hitting it hard enough! Pre-exhausts are good to do, yes, however those include two DIFFERENT movements to a muscle, not two similar ones.

~SC~

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with swole.. hm thats a change

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    are leg presses the same as the sled?

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    You do realize that squats and leg presses are recognized as the SAME movement to your legs?

Watch that, you can over-train VERY easily, and you'll get weaker instead of stronger.

Hit the squats harder and leave the leg presses alone, or vice versa. If your intensity is up, you shouldn't be able to run to another machine and do more work. If so, you aren't hitting it hard enough! Pre-exhausts are good to do, yes, however those include two DIFFERENT movements to a muscle, not two similar ones.

~SC~
    Darn I usually do squats and leg presses in the same day. I'd like to stick with squats, so what should I add instead of the presses.

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member

~SC~
    You're correct in theory, Swole, but what if the squats are done with heels SLIGHTLY elevated to focus on quads and then feet are placed higher on leg press to focus more on hams. Also, distance/width between feet could be modified to change the focus. Frankly, I think this routine would be limited by cardio capacity meaning the CV system would fatigue before the legs, but in theory, I think they could be superseted for a shock routine.

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    You're correct in theory, Swole, but what if the squats are done with heels SLIGHTLY elevated to focus on quads and then feet are placed higher on leg press to focus more on hams. Also, distance/width between feet could be modified to change the focus. Frankly, I think this routine would be limited by cardio capacity meaning the CV system would fatigue before the legs, but in theory, I think they could be superseted for a shock routine.
    You should NEVER do squats with your heels elevated! That's a dumb idea, but that's also another thread in and of itself.

I'd choose another ham exercise, not feet higher on the leg press. You are still pushing w/your quads in that movement, and if you truly annihilated your quads CORRECTLY with squats, you don't want to do ANY more pressing movements. Stiff leg deads or 1 legged ham curls w/an accentuated negative, or hyperextension static holds.

Do as you wish, you want to superset, be my guest. What do I know with my "theories"?

~SC~

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    You should NEVER do squats with your heels elevated! That's a dumb idea, but that's also another thread in and of itself.

I'd choose another ham exercise, not feet higher on the leg press. You are still pushing w/your quads in that movement, and if you truly annihilated your quads CORRECTLY with squats, you don't want to do ANY more pressing movements. Stiff leg deads or 1 legged ham curls w/an accentuated negative, or hyperextension static holds.

Do as you wish, you want to superset, be my guest. What do I know with my "theories"?

~SC~
    Come on, bro, I didn't mean it like that. I give you props all the time (see post-whore thread). I personally would not reccomend or perform this type of superset routine, I was just thinking of a way that it could be condoned. I don't squat with my heels elevated, but I've read and seen many people do them with 2.5's or 5's under the heels to "focus more on the quads". Like I said, even if enough of the focus could be distributed to antagonists, I think this routine would be CV limited. I was using the word "theory" b/c I have never done or know anyone who has done this routine, so I could only speak on it theoretically.

Vicktor is offline New Member
    You should NEVER do squats with your heels elevated!

~SC~
    Could you elaborate on that, saw someone doing it like that the other day and was thinking about trying it.

Tnoel is offline New Member
    Nice post Swole -- any elaboration on your leg training theories would be greatly appreciated.

No thanks, I'm done w/the advice here for a good while. Too many challenges/mis-understandings and flames (no flames in this thread, but the negating of common knowledge is horrid).

I'm gonna sit back and just watch if I visit this forum in the future.

I stick to the diet area for the most part.

Too many headaches having to explain basic exercise physiology and still have it refuted. Granted there are different ways to do all exercise approaches, yes, but there are also common sense approaches that should be able to be understood by the masses.

So to each his very precious own, and simply do what floats your perverbial boat. I know what works for me and those who pay me for my intelligence/experience, so I'm pretty much set. No need for having to defend advice I offer up here, that gets very old quickly. Best way to avoid such occurrences is to simply sit back and people watch.

Thank you and good night!

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-25-2005 at 11:02 PM.

Thread Information