Njectable is offline Member

Switching Up The Routine

well i realize the concept that after a certain period of time its best if we change up our routine a little, so that our body doesn't adapt to the same weekly environment over and over correct? My question to you guys is how often do you switch it up 8weeks,10weeks, 4 months? and what do you change up? What if the routine you have seems to be getting you somewhere and you like the way its set up? Such as right now i'm not working with any splits, i work chest monday, legs tuesday, arms wednesday, back thursday, and shoulders friday, and i take the weekend off, love hitting the gym and time isn't really a factor thats why i don't have a problem going up 5 days a week and working each muscle group on separate days plus it seems my body responds better with this type of routine, hell i'd work out 7 days a week if my body allowed it. Wouldn't weight increases every 2 or 3 weeks be a significant enough change for your body, because if your adding more weight every 2 or 3 weeks your still pushing your body to new limits right? Or is it the excersizes that need to be switched up after so long?
    I'll be honest with you most my days consist of anywhere from 15 to 25 sets, sometimes i just don't feel like leaving, so with that said i often do make judgement calls at the gym depending on how i feel and how sore i am, whether to throw in one or two more excersizes, so my days do change quite frequently. I do feel i do quite a few more sets then other people claim to do on here, and say i work chest on monday usually takes till thursday to be 100% again, I don't feel i'm overtraining though beings i work each muscle group once a week, and have 2 rest days. But my major questions are what should and needs to change in a routine, and when is the logical time to switch things up? or can you just keep your routine and just add weight each week or 2 weeks. I just have information that is misunderstood in this topic and could use some help clarifying some of this.
    Sorry for the novel lol

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxer23
    well i realize the concept that after a certain period of time its best if we change up our routine a little, so that our body doesn't adapt to the same weekly environment over and over correct? My question to you guys is how often do you switch it up 8weeks,10weeks, 4 months? and what do you change up? What if the routine you have seems to be getting you somewhere and you like the way its set up? Such as right now i'm not working with any splits, i work chest monday, legs tuesday, arms wednesday, back thursday, and shoulders friday, and i take the weekend off, love hitting the gym and time isn't really a factor thats why i don't have a problem going up 5 days a week and working each muscle group on separate days plus it seems my body responds better with this type of routine, hell i'd work out 7 days a week if my body allowed it. Wouldn't weight increases every 2 or 3 weeks be a significant enough change for your body, because if your adding more weight every 2 or 3 weeks your still pushing your body to new limits right? Or is it the excersizes that need to be switched up after so long?
    I'll be honest with you most my days consist of anywhere from 15 to 25 sets, sometimes i just don't feel like leaving, so with that said i often do make judgement calls at the gym depending on how i feel and how sore i am, whether to throw in one or two more excersizes, so my days do change quite frequently. I do feel i do quite a few more sets then other people claim to do on here, and say i work chest on monday usually takes till thursday to be 100% again, I don't feel i'm overtraining though beings i work each muscle group once a week, and have 2 rest days. But my major questions are what should and needs to change in a routine, and when is the logical time to switch things up? or can you just keep your routine and just add weight each week or 2 weeks. I just have information that is misunderstood in this topic and could use some help clarifying some of this.
    Sorry for the novel lol
    A wise man once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Just change your routine when you stop seeing strenght gains/growth

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    25 SETS ... Sometimes little is more! I change mine up every 3 - 4 months, but have each workout vary week to week. I keep all main movements in their IE deads, squats, but I switch rest times and reps. I also totally switch secondary excersises.. Just have to keep yourself growing.. eveyrones different, find what works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    25 SETS ... Sometimes little is more! I change mine up every 3 - 4 months, but have each workout vary week to week. I keep all main movements in their IE deads, squats, but I switch rest times and reps. I also totally switch secondary excersises.. Just have to keep yourself growing.. eveyrones different, find what works for you!
    alright thanks guys, ya i find the days i usually hit 20-25 sets is some times arm day because i'm hitting biceps,triceps, and forearms, lol so thats not 20 sets just on one muscle, although i sometimes i find i may do about 20-23 sets on chest day and occasionally back day, but i do try to keep the sets down on average, but sometimes its just hard to leave the gym and thats whats happens, and i feel i'm making no progress unless i'm incredibly sore the next day, or the 2nd day after

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxer23
    alright thanks guys, ya i find the days i usually hit 20-25 sets is some times arm day because i'm hitting biceps,triceps, and forearms, lol so thats not 20 sets just on one muscle, although i sometimes i find i may do about 20-23 sets on chest day and occasionally back day, but i do try to keep the sets down on average, but sometimes its just hard to leave the gym and thats whats happens, and i feel i'm making no progress unless i'm incredibly sore the next day, or the 2nd day after
    Wow haha man remember soreness is not a factor in growth! I have never ever got sore on bicep day! you have to train with more intensity! There's no way I could hit 20-23 sets on chest day! Up your intensity, this will keep you from doing that many sets and avoid over training!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Wow haha man remember soreness is not a factor in growth! I have never ever got sore on bicep day! you have to train with more intensity! There's no way I could hit 20-23 sets on chest day! Up your intensity, this will keep you from doing that many sets and avoid over training!
    no my arms don't usually get sore but my chest, legs, and back usually kill the days after, i feel my workout intesity is pretty solid as well, i usually perform 3-4sets, 4 for the main excersizes(bench,deads,squats) stay between a rep range of about 6-8 because i'm trying to bulk up, and by my 4th set i'm lucky to get 6 without my spotters help, if i up my weights and intensity anymore i'm gonna be going into weights i can't lift 4 times, and i like to atleast get my reps in

Thread Information