boxingfan30 is offline Member

could this be considered HIIT type training?

So a lot of you may or may not know of my shoulder problem and because of it, I am limited to push-ups and dips only. I had decided months ago to try to think of some ideas of what would stress my chest as much as possible. So what I have been doing so far is the following.

A light warm-up of shadow boxing for 5 minutes or so.
    A few quick stretches.

First set is close hand position (hands touching) 25-30 reps to failure.
    Rest is limited to 60 seconds only.
    15 total rest minutes is what it comes out to. I cannot tell you how many minutes of working it is, but would be at a minimum of 20-30 seconds.
    Each set is done to failure, hands are always either touching or closer than shoulder width.

There has been growth from this workout, shirts are tighter and aren't quite as long. Was asked if I was juicing which i'm not, Wife say's i'm thicker, etc. At least it's doing something, but what about heart area? Could I consider this HIIT? I know HIIT can really be any exercise you choose as long as the intensity is there and timing is correct.

Doont-Hunter is offline Banned
    If you are having severe shoulder problems, have you ever thought of crossfit? It's great for promoting lean muscle gains, improving your endurance, helping to lose fat and also increasing your strength in a lot of cases.

nope, never have thought of that honestly. My BF isn't low right now... I would say 15, maybe 14%, so i'm about 165-170lbs everyday, of course if I drink a little more water for 2 days, that will drop another 2-3 lbs off of me. Point of it is that i'm not looking for size obviously, but that i'm not "big" anyway and for me @ about 5'9 ... a solid 160 is fine for me. I'd put on 5 lbs alone if my legs caught up with the rest of it. I hate working legs and have always used just cardio to work my legs.
    '

canesfan804 is offline Member
    I guess this could be considered HIIT but when I do it I like to do as many reps as I can in 20 secs with 10 sec rest. Repeat 8xs (4 mins) My chest day would be push ups, Dumbell bench press, incline dumbell bench press, cable flyes or fly machine. All very light weight. You want to be able to get 8 good reps min on any given set, obviously more in the first 3-5 sets but 8 good reps on the last 3. Be sure to flex the chest hard at the top of each rep. I have shoulder issues too and this doesnt hurt mine. just have to unbderstand people may look at you funny bc your straining to lift such light weight. Its funny because most of them couldnt do what your doing Im sure.

canesfan804 is offline Member
    Also another thing I do to help with shoulder pain is when doing bench press dont touch the chest with the bar instead stay about 4 inches off and go slow when coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by canesfan804 View Post
    I guess this could be considered HIIT but when I do it I like to do as many reps as I can in 20 secs with 10 sec rest. Repeat 8xs (4 mins) My chest day would be push ups, Dumbell bench press, incline dumbell bench press, cable flyes or fly machine. All very light weight. You want to be able to get 8 good reps min on any given set, obviously more in the first 3-5 sets but 8 good reps on the last 3. Be sure to flex the chest hard at the top of each rep. I have shoulder issues too and this doesnt hurt mine. just have to unbderstand people may look at you funny bc your straining to lift such light weight. Its funny because most of them couldnt do what your doing Im sure.
    Oh, i'm not worried about the weight I can lift anymore, strength will come the more intense I make the exercises... once this gets to easy, I will move it to 45 sec rest periods and after that I will start using a backpack with some weights in it and go back to 1 minute reps. The possibilities are endless. Gotta do whatever I can... i'm certainly not going to sit around... that sucks.

Btw, doing the close hand position push-ups also helps a lot with more punching power ... or it has with me anyway.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    No this is not hit.... You really need to utilise larger muscle groups forms real HIIT workout.... Hill or weighted sprints is your best option

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    No this is not hit.... You really need to utilise larger muscle groups forms real HIIT workout.... Hill or weighted sprints is your best option
    can do it... bad back, wouldn't last 1 minute before I was layed up for a week or more.

Thread Information