Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

I need some Help

I've got a problem and although I have tried to find the answer nothing as of yet seems to work. Here for the last several months every time that I begin to jog my lower back begins to develope a very sharp intense pain. I went out and bought some new shoes,tried to jog on different terrain bougth a few magizenes looking for articles ect and it is still there. I use to really become amused when ever I would hear someone use the smallest pain to justifiy not working out and I promised that I would never be like that. As a result I have litterally been forcing myself to try to keep going through the pain yet my 6th sense seems to keep screaming that somthing may be wrong. Doctor says that I am as fit as a fiddle, that getting older has its price and to make a shorter route. BULLSHIT! I begin my jog and in 15 minutes I will have reached the 2 miles mark barely winded but do to the pain I have to stop and walk for a few minutes. I then have to force myself to jog in intervals of 5 minutes walk a couple then jog for 5 more and so forth until I get to the end of my jog. ( 3.5 miles total) My brother told me that I was getting dehydrated but he never really jogged so I am not sure that he knows what he is talking about. When I have to stop I am no where near being winded.In fact I'm really starting to feel like I could keep on going except for my lower back. I tried incorporating alot more lower back excerises in my routine but atlas this has not helped either. Does any body have any suggestions? Thanks,
    Tobey
    Last edited by Tobey; 09-10-2001 at 07:38 PM.

ptbyjason Guest
    Low back pain problems? This is my specialty. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the pain by a change in running style would be to jog on your toes instead of the heel in order to decrease the compression of the nerve that is causing the pain. The water thing is probably way off because you would have noticed you are taking in a different amount of water than before. If you need to, I can write you up a workout that is a series of stretches and low impact strengthening exercises that will eliminate your back pain (if it is continuous). If it only happens when you run I would just change the running style. If you want to do the exercises, I know they will help you in the long run.

Thanks

Dear ptbyjason,
    Thanks, at this point I am willing to try anything. Yea it only occurs when I run although somtimes when I squat real heavy I can feel a twinge, but nothing like when I jog. I'll try jogging on my toes, I have done this for short spurts at a time before( like when I'm jogging up a hill) and it really seemed to pump my calves up a lot. I never stopped to think that this might aid in my back problems as well. Thanks and yeah, work me up what ever you think may help. Thanks alot.
    Tobey

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    When I cycle and normally put on more weight than Im used to when I jog it causes the same pain Tobey was talking about thanks for the info jason

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I have a friend who suffers from the jog pain but he normally gets it if the football pitch is hard.What surface do you jog on and stretching may help afterall we compress our spines all day.

Billy

BigWill is offline Junior Member

Talking HEY TOBEY

Welcome to getting older Just wait until you get past 40, or, close to 50...then you will really start complaining...

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

have you considered..

i have you considered orthodics.i was a 110 high hurdlerand high jumper from age 12 until after college, so my back and joints ahev taken alot of abuse through trainign and competeing.i would get lower back pain at times, until i got fitted for orthodics(implants fitted for your shoes).not everyone's feet are made for every shoe, not even ones that may feel comfortable to you.it's something to consider.they can be expensive,so if you have insurance it helps.what's your opinion on orthodics to help this situation PTBYJASON?sound like a plan??Tobey you knwo i'm all about helping you bro.i think it may be something to look into.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i agree with jason. try changing your landing position. that's a tough question though, it's so easy to hurt your back. it could be any number of things, as i'm sure you've already figured out. good luck bro, i'll ask my physical therapist friends if they have any tricks

CYCLEON Guest
    just a thought or two - you might want to consider a trip to the chiropractor - for some people that really does make a difference, also see if you are out of line kinda. another thing that is good for pain management is accupuncture, if you can find a good one. it helped me with a popped sternum.

a supp that will help perhaps is chondroitan and glucosamine to help make sure ur cartilage is healthy. hope that helps or your gonna hafta stick with sprints

Hech I had almost forgot about this post

Thanks guys,
    I have tried altering my running stlye and it seems to have helped out a whole lot. Also with the weather being a little cooler it has helped as well. Down here in the South when it gets real hot there is so much humidity in the air that it is really hard to breath especially if you are doing a cardio type activity out side.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Later,
    Tobey

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    If you've been fit for the proper shoe for you, and your running form (good posture, heal-toe) is good (not stomping flat footed) then I ask: Are your abs strong? Arre your abs/low back strength equal?

Thread Information