IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

the human mind is a mf'er

i never really realized how powerful our brains are when it comes to bodybuilding. Time off is a very important part of bodybuilding. we gotta take a step back to set ourself up for future gains and stay out of plateaus. After about a week off, i think we all start to experience (to a much milder degree) a feeling similar to what those with eating disorders experience. When we look in the mirror, our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking. it seems kind of like a defense mechanism. yeah we need that time off, but our mind might be scared that we are never going to lift again. It uses this defense mechanism to make sure we dont give up weight lifting.

But in reality, i bet we grow a little during this time off. it may be highly likely that with this time off our body is more likely to overcompensate a little extra. OFten times we can come back stronger after a short time off. It is an awesomne experience to come back with a new found passion for lifting. what a g' **** good feeling it is to hit the gym and bust through those plateaus after some time off.

well, i am going to stop rambling now...
    Last edited by IronReload04; 01-27-2005 at 09:57 AM.

inevitable is offline Member
    interesting.. but i agree

100% True. My brain is always playing that same trick on me.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    word. Nice post.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Couldnt agree more

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    i think we all start to feel the way anorexic bitches do.
    I never feel like that, and I was a Level 2 anorexic for 3 years.

You should watch what you say and who you call what.

If you feel like a bitch, wonderful, however I never do.

~SC~

seanw is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    Well you sure managed to jump that hurdle pretty well. Thats fuking amazing

~SC~
    hey man, that is awesome that you got through somthing like that. Sorry for offending you. I live on a coed floor in my dorm. I think you get the picture.
    Ya, i once felt like a B on time off, but now i understand what my mind is trying to do and it does not bother me at all. i just laugh at it.

o and i would just like to add. i dont care who you are. you are going to feel like a B at some point in your lifting career during time off. it is natural. Especially the first time you go throught with time off, their is no way you could be prepared for that let alone understand what is truly going on. And ya, this illusion works through the same pathway as eating disorders. This is why i made that particular link. Some guys may be more susceptable to this than others. I have had many many lifting buddies over the years. i had 90+ guys on my football team. We all share similar feelings over time off. hell, i might be wrong, maybe EVERYBODY does not go through this, but EVERYBODY i have ever llfted with does go through this
    Last edited by IronReload04; 01-27-2005 at 09:52 AM.

As I said, if you feel like a bitch, wonderful.

I never do.

Reason being:

I am able to comprehend what time off does for the body, how it's beneficial, how it heals nagging injuries, etc.

I am a lot older than you, you are in a "DORM", while I am married with a child and have tons of responsibility and run a top notch Fitness/Nutrition Internet business that does VERY well. I have been very sick w/anorexia, so I know what feeling down/out/dead d*mn near feels like, and like I said, I feel NOTHING like that these days. My point was that there are ways to explain yourself that are far more educational and come across with a higher level of intelligence.

"anorexic bitches" is nothing scholastic/mature.

Anywho, I am much older and much wiser since then. You must utlize your brain muscle as well as your body muscle to be successful.

Give it a shot.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 01-27-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanw
    Well you sure managed to jump that hurdle pretty well. Thats fuking amazing
    You have no idea what that was like, nor what it took to get where I am today.

If you wanna talk about people who truly were "puttin' in work", well, there you have it.

Thank you!

~SC~

delete
    Last edited by IronReload04; 01-27-2005 at 10:50 AM.

As I said, if you feel like a bitch, wonderful.

I never do.

Reason being:

I am able to comprehend what time off does for the body, how it's beneficial, how it heals nagging injuries, etc.

I am a lot older than you, you are in a "DORM", while I am married with a child and have tons of responsibility and run a top notch Fitness/Nutrition Internet business that does VERY well. I have been very sick w/anorexia, so I know what feeling down/out/dead d*mn near feels like, and like I said, I feel NOTHING like that these days. My point was that there are ways to explain yourself that are far more educational and come across with a higher level of intelligence.

"anorexic bitches" is nothing scholastic/mature.

Anywho, I am much older and much wiser since then. You must utlize your brain muscle as well as your body muscle to be successful.

Give it a shot.

~SC~
    As i said, i am now able to understand what is truly happening , and i dont feel like a bitch like i used to when i was 16 years old during a time off.

i edited down my original thread, if it still offends you, then pm me and i will change it more.

Nah, no offense man, I was just shedding light on how some who have/had the same disease I did may take offense to it and it may be hurtful.

No harm, no foul, life is WAAAAY to short to worry about things like this.

I like your edited first post, it comes across a lot more readable and a ton better.

Have a great day,

~SC~

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    i never really realized how powerful our brains are when it comes to bodybuilding. Time off is a very important part of bodybuilding. we gotta take a step back to set ourself up for future gains and stay out of plateaus. After about a week off, i think we all start to experience (to a much milder degree) a feeling similar to what those with eating disorders experience. When we look in the mirror, our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking. it seems kind of like a defense mechanism. yeah we need that time off, but our mind might be scared that we are never going to lift again. It uses this defense mechanism to make sure we dont give up weight lifting.

But in reality, i bet we grow a little during this time off. it may be highly likely that with this time off our body is more likely to overcompensate a little extra. OFten times we can come back stronger after a short time off. It is an awesomne experience to come back with a new found passion for lifting. what a g' **** good feeling it is to hit the gym and bust through those plateaus after some time off.

well, i am going to stop rambling now...
    That is simply the way your mind perceives taking time off. The cool thing about perspective is you can change it! You must not think "I'm not lifting, therefore, shrinking", but rather "I am taking critical time off that my body requires to recover properly so I can continue to lift and make progress". You're also making generalizations about the way people here think by using "we" and "us". Not everyone, infact, hardly anyone on this board or anywhere for that matter posses the twisted reasoning skills to come to the conclusion that they are not making gains or progress because they are taking necessary time off, according to their schedule, to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    Not everyone, infact, hardly anyone on this board or anywhere for that matter posses the twisted reasoning skills to come to the conclusion that they are not making gains or progress because they are taking necessary time off, according to their schedule, to grow.
    and how long have you been lifting weights?

I am still trying to understand what it is you are trying to say there. its giving me a headache and i have more important **** to deal with so, can you please make sense of that statement.

and how long have you been lifting weights?

I am still trying to understand what it is you are trying to say there. its giving me a headache and i have more important **** to deal with so, can you please make sense of that statement.
    1) I've been lifting for 2 years with mass as a goal, spent highschool doing lifting for sports only.

2) You're argueing that our brain is a large part of body building, and I agree. You state "After about a week off, i think we all start to experience (to a much milder degree) a feeling similar to what those with eating disorders experience. When we look in the mirror, our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking. it seems kind of like a defense mechanism." to back up your whole brain and body building theory. Now, I was saying a few things in my statement. There is truth to the statement "our brain is a part of body building", and there are several better arguements you could make to back that up. The arguement you picked was simply invalid because no reasonable person would think that because they are taking time off from lifting, they need to be mentally strong enough to not train. You also refer to it as similar to an eating disorder, which to a certain degree is a mental illness; if you feel that way maybe you should see a psychiatrist. I feel you need to look at how constructive your mental approach to lifting actually is.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    i never really realized how powerful our brains are when it comes to bodybuilding. Time off is a very important part of bodybuilding. we gotta take a step back to set ourself up for future gains and stay out of plateaus. After about a week off, i think we all start to experience (to a much milder degree) a feeling similar to what those with eating disorders experience. When we look in the mirror, our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking. it seems kind of like a defense mechanism.

It is not a defense mechanism. its called bigorexia. its a disease and opposite of anorexia.

i have it, but it keeps you focused and training hard

1) I've been lifting for 2 years with mass as a goal, spent highschool doing lifting for sports only.

2) You're argueing that our brain is a large part of body building, and I agree. You state "After about a week off, i think we all start to experience (to a much milder degree) a feeling similar to what those with eating disorders experience. When we look in the mirror, our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking. it seems kind of like a defense mechanism." to back up your whole brain and body building theory. Now, I was saying a few things in my statement. There is truth to the statement "our brain is a part of body building", and there are several better arguements you could make to back that up. The arguement you picked was simply invalid because no reasonable person would think that because they are taking time off from lifting, they need to be mentally strong enough to not train. You also refer to it as similar to an eating disorder, which to a certain degree is a mental illness; if you feel that way maybe you should see a psychiatrist. I feel you need to look at how constructive your mental approach to lifting actually is.
    Please share with us some proof that my arguement is invalid. You wanna know somthing, the brain IS ACCEPTED TO BE THE MOST COMPLEX STRUCTURE IN THE UNIVERSE according to my college professor. You are argueing like the answer to certain questions are cut in stone and in black and white. they are not. The most qualified doctors in psychology know dick ( ) about how exactly the brain works and how it works together.

So YOU feel that I need to look at how constructive MY mental approach to lifting actually is. you dont think i am very reasonable do you. you are probably right. I AM ****ING CRAZY. I LIFT LIKE I AM ****ING CRAZY. I EAT LIKE I AM ****ING CRAZY. THATS BECAUSE I AM ****ING CRAZY. I AM A BAD ASS MOTHER ****ER. at least that is what i say to myself when i am in tears and near passing out in the cage. just wait 10 years from now, BECAUSE I GAURENTEE YOU THAT MY CRAZY ASS APPROACH TO LIFTING will get me to a shredded 260 pound monster.

you crossed the line when questioning my approach to lifting, dont ****ing go there.

I think this also might be my 4th time stating that taking time off does not bother me at all, notta zilch not 1 iota. it did when i was 16 like 2 years ago for the 4th time. i now know what is going on and understand, therefor, it does not bother me anymore.

and ya i do believe that doggcrapp will help me reach 260 one day ****it.

reread my very first post again and thouraghly. Consider if you are over analyzing what i am getting at. I am just trying to say that our brain likes to play tricks on us, and one of those tricks is intended to keep us exercising.

their is nothing invalid about that theory.

to a much milder degree means exactly that...to a much milder degree. a degree that is still healthy and not destructive. it is natural and in now way unusual, many guys go through it. Consider if you are over exaggeriting a few of my points please. it is silly to go to a psychiatrist for experiencing a very mild degree of bigorexia as long as it is not extreme.

I AM ****ING CRAZY.
    As long as we're on the same page here. Psychiatrists are real doctors that help people with real problems despite what your "college professor" of who knows what qualification may say.

If you insist proof that your arguement is weak. You are argueing that "our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking". You are stating absolutly FALSE facts. Truth and falsity of statements and propositions directly effects validity of an arguement. In your case, the falsity of your facts renders your arguement invalid.

I'm just tryin to help you bro. Good luck!

reread my very first post again and thouraghly. Consider if you are over analyzing what i am getting at.
    Bro, I'm not over analyzing anything, I just simply read and took into consideration everything you typed. I mean no harm or trouble, I just thought you were someone who had a somewhat skewed perspective on recovery and its importance. I was only trying to say that you shouldn't perceive recovery time as a time of shrinking or weakening.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I think you are both shrinking by typing so much!

As long as we're on the same page here. Psychiatrists are real doctors that help people with real problems despite what your "college professor" of who knows what qualification may say.

If you insist proof that your arguement is weak. You are argueing that "our brains give us an illusion in an attempt to make us continue to lift and it tries to convince us that we are small and shrinking". You are stating absolutly FALSE facts. Truth and falsity of statements and propositions directly effects validity of an arguement. In your case, the falsity of your facts renders your arguement invalid.

I'm just tryin to help you bro. Good luck!
    you truly are confusing facts with theory. All i did was theorize and throw out ideas I believe may be true. my intent was not to prove anything.
    What i am about to say is fact however. Our brains have the power to make us delusionial. ex. anorexia, bulemia, bigorexia, and either one of those to a much lesser degree. all of the above involve conditions where an individual has a false belief. Wirhout a doubt, many bodybuilders who are having off time do have mild delusions. you cant argue that, thousands of guys experience it. the only grey area is whether or not our minds are trying to make us go lift or the delusion serves no purpose from our mind's perspective.

so i guess the first handful of guys that responded to my original post and all said ya, i have felt that to, are just lieing i guess?

I don't think anyone is lying here bro, you can genuinly feel those kinds of emotions and thoughts, but you shouldn't. Like I said above, I agree with your initial statement, but I don't agree that everyone feels that way about taking time off, thats all.

I don't think anyone is lying here bro, you can genuinly feel those kinds of emotions and thoughts, but you shouldn't. Like I said above, I agree with your initial statement, but I don't agree that everyone feels that way about taking time off, thats all.
    i like what you said right there and respect your thoughts. and if that is what you were trying to say at first, then i think we may have had one giant misunderstanding.

i however still believe that there is a grey area. the grey area being whether or not the delusion is poinltess and serves no purpose or are our minds attempting to prevent us from quitting.

It's all good bro.

ace ventura is offline Member
    Oh yes, I recognize this off symptom. One week off = feel like it goes down. Two-three weeks off = getting really depressed.

I work in three shifts and every third week I don't hit the gym in four days. That's like almost one week off because I miss important training untill next week. I work out on sunday and next is friday.

So evey third week is really a perfect work out for me as I must use one week to get back to where I was. I feel lighter, loose muscle energy and water during the "timeoff" and I also loose the eager to get pumped. I have realized that much of it is in my mind. I thought I was hitting the wall but people say that I've grown much (for the last five months).

I look forward to start working one shift again.

DO NOT put too much into what your college professors have to say. They are academics living in a theoretical world. This is MY EXPERIENCE. My father used to laugh at my quotes of these "professors". I thought he was just dumb....Well I now know exactly what he was laughing at. The mind is the most powerful weapon we have.....Remember athletics of any kind are 90% mental.

Thread Information