Thread: shin splints

tycin is offline Anabolic Member

shin splints

anyone know any good remedies to fix them or from stopping them from happening? evrytime i jog or even walk on an incline on the treamill i have to stop beacuse they hurt too badly.

dutchman718 is offline Junior Member
    someone once told me that stretching the calves prior to and after the workout will help, I still get them every once in a while but usually only when I am out of shape and a little heavier, also you can try changing sneakers...good luck!!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Reduce your volume. Strengthen your tibialis anterior by doing dorsiflexion. Most of the time the muscle are weak and they pull away from the bone, causing you pain. Apply ice, it works wonders. Perform cardio on low impact machines, bikes, precors, etc. Stay off the blacktop/pavement.

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ...I'll bet if you change your shoe brand the splints will go away. I used to wear Pumas to run in and they gave me BAD shin splints. I went crazy trying to figure out what the poblem was. I swtiched to Adidas and Voila!! No more splints!!

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    i tried streching them out and changing my shoes, maybe ill try changing the shoes up again, if that doesnthelp i guess ill have to stay off the treadmill

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Agree with Hyper & Duck.

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    tycin, i had the worst case of shin splints so believe me i think i know what i'm talking about. it is preventable over time. first thing is go to a running store and buy an actual pair of running shoes, second is to stretch the calves before running stretch stretch and stretch, third apply ice after your workouts and massage your shins and calves, alot of the pain has to do with the surface your running on so if your running outside on a track, run on the inside of the track (the grass) if you can, then asphalt and last concrete (sidewalks) start off slow (maybe even with just walking fast to start) then build up slowly. i can tell you honestly from the time i started suffering from shin splints to visiting rehabilitaion centres to gradually running with no pain at all took me aprx 4 months. good luck.

Machin3 is offline Associate Member
    you can use medical tape and tape around that will help to reduce the pressure but you will walk funny used to do it for football ..Shavve youre legs where you plan to tape because its going to hurt ALOT if you dont want to take that tape off

Bouncer1982 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah I suffered from shin splints really bad, and I was told to strenghthen my calves, so I really pushed my calves and the shin splints went after about 6 weeks

Thread Information