Thread: Cardio addict?

cardiodan is offline Associate Member

Cardio addict?

When I go on the ski machine/stair stepper I can reach 170bpm, or 180bpm , and keep it there. It seems like I like the feeling of really pushing of myself.
    On or off clen , Im always like this. I have perfect blood pressure, and when
    I try 150-160bpm it feels like Im going too slow.
    I used to play soccer and intense sports HIIT style, so I think thats the reason.
    Any info on this?

Am I doing something wrong? I mean it does work. Swole cat any info on this, I know youre the personal trainer of the bunch.

RobbieG is offline Member
    Yes. you can do drugs

special k should kill any desire of sports

joke!

ChefJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieG
    Yes. you can do drugs

special k should kill any desire of sports

joke!
    What??

Anyone?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What is your goal of performing cardio?

Perhaps you may wish to choose another form.

I don't understand what the problem actually is.

Sounds as if you have great stamina and a great VO2, etc., but that to me doesn't seem like an issue. That's a great trait.

Now, when you take into context what your desired results are, then I may be able to understand why this is an issue.

~SC~

Oh sorry about that swole cat!
    I mean it is to lose fat as and define everything a bit more.
    In any case, I hate doing slow cardio? It seems I am not getting anything out of it.
    You know swolecat, there are so many fat women that go into my gym and go on the bike for 15 minutes and read a magazine and talk on the cellphone with their lover while doing cardio. And they are very overweight. And then they leave. Not a warmup.
    I in the other hand feel that I am on the other extreme and like to work as hard on cardio as I do on the weights. Although everyone seems to think 60-70% or even 55% is good enough? Whats the deal?

511220 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiodan
    ...there are so many fat women that go into my gym and go on the bike for 15 minutes and read a magazine and talk on the cellphone with their lover while doing cardio. And they are very overweight. And then they leave...

YEAH! And then they leave! WTF?

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiodan
    Oh sorry about that swole cat!
    I mean it is to lose fat as and define everything a bit more.
    In any case, I hate doing slow cardio? It seems I am not getting anything out of it.On the other hand feel that I am on the other extreme and like to work as hard on cardio as I do on the weights. Although everyone seems to think 60-70% or even 55% is good enough? Whats the deal?
    Have you not done any research?

I am sorry to inform you, but you are not burning fat with your HR at 180bpm, the weight that you are losing is water and muscle tissue plain and simple.

You should perform cardio at 75% of your max HR for 45-1hr to achieve maximum fat loss.

Alright Ill take your advice.
    Its worked for me in the past, and I NEVER lose muscle tissue.
    I can go on a ZERO protein diet, and not lose muscle. I am VERY muscular, and was BORN very muscular, and have very little tendency to lose it. NEVER have I experienced muscle loss. But then again im not in the single digits, and I assume the research is for those that are in the "common" category or those in the singles.
    Ill take it anyway, I started 1.5 weeks ago.
    Lets see if I like it.
    Last edited by cardiodan; 02-03-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=muriloninja]Have you not done any research?

I am sorry to inform you, but you are not burning fat with your HR at 180bpm, the weight that you are losing is water and muscle tissue plain and simple.
    QUOTE]
    Before you flame someone, you need to also research. Working at higher intesnities will burn more total fat than working at lower intensities. Proteins contribute <2% of energy during exercise of less than 1 hour's duration. It will only contribute more if; a person is in a carbohydrated depleted state; or during prolonged exercise (>2 hours). At higher intensities, the body increases its reliance on carbohydrate metabolism. Only if you remain in this anaerobic state, deplete your body of glucose, then muscle/liver glycogen, and remain in an anaerobic will your body burn proteins. This is very unlikely, unless you are in elite shape, such as marathon runners. That's why they "bonk" or "hit the wall" around the 20 mile mark. The have totally depleted their body of carbohydrates. At lower intensities, you will burn fewer calories, but more of those calories are derived from fat metabolism. So, I do agree saying that lower intensities are better for someone who is looking to decrease body fat and maintain lean body mass. Because there is less of a chance of breaking down amino acids for ATP production. However, to tell someone they are losing only water and muscle working at higher intensities is total ludicrous. The above information that I presented are physiological facts.

Yeah no kidding. I mean its what ive always done to cut down,
    and its all over the bbing community. Its intensity what counts.
    from bb.com
    Studies have shown that as the intensity of exercise increases, the lower the amount of FFA's (fats that have been mobilized) there are in your bloodstream. By now, most of you are thinking: Ok, since high intensity cardio create less mobilization than low intensity cardio, then low intensity burns more fat. This is not necessarily true. Although mobilization of fats goes down as intensity increases, the total oxidation of total fats is greater because more calories were burned, but at a lower rate of burned fat.

During low intensity cardio, the rate at which oxidation occurs in FFA's in much higher than in high intensity cardio. By now you are probably going nuts thinking: Ok, in low intensity cardio there is more mobilization and a higher rate of oxidation than in high intensity cardio. So why is high intensity cardio better for burning fat? It is better for burning fat because although the amount of FFA's being burned is lower, the amount of total fat is much greater.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/shane2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    However, to tell someone they are losing only water and muscle working at higher intensities is total ludicrous. The above information that I presented are physiological facts.
    I am sorry it was taken as me saying he is not losing any BF by performing high intensity cardio (of course he is burning some), my wording and details could have been better. I don't agree with this, this is just my opinion.

I don't care if you lick a rats ass andit makes you lose BF, if it works for you go with it. I will continue doing it w/ lower intensity.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 02-03-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I am also a advocate of lower intensity cardio, longer duration for fat loss and retention of muscle. Just stating the facts. We'll have people posting about licking rats asses now! All good bro~

I am gonna pick up a rat tommorow at PetsMart....now do i lick on an empty stomach or what?

Thread Information