Workouts Are Now Ineffective!

I'm a hardgainer, naturally small, weak guy....for a while i got big, gaining around 50lbs....recently i lost about 30 of those pounds and i've been trying to get it back. my diet is in check, but my normal workouts of 12 sets per body part is no longer doing it for me. I'm not a naturally strong guy so 12 sets still does tire me out, but the soreness is never there. Should I try going to 16 sets or would that be too many sets for mass gaining?

Aboot is offline Banned
    First off, how and why have you recently lost 30 pounds?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    How long have you been working out?
    Taking anything?

Try sticking to your 12 sets but add some weight. What does your routine look like now?

seanw is offline Banned
    Bro I would like an hour in the gym with you with just that many sets and you would feel it for two weeks after. You just are not working out intensly enough IMO, you need to eat a lot more as well.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Too many varibles to answer your specific question. First of all if you beleive your workouts are ineffective then yes you are correct because you failed evan prior to entering the gym. You need to get a proper mindset. Sounds like you are not doing as good before and easily tire and there are many resons for that. Loosing 30lbs is one, you will loose alot of strength. Overtraining & depression also come to play here. Maybe you have a medical issue too. During the mean time eat plenty of carbs before a workout and change your exercise selection to start with. Incorporate some periodization mixing it up from your prior routine. Remember two things-1. mindset 2.post nutriton. good luck

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If anything do LESS, NOT MORE!

~SC~

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    add weight, im sure your not doing the max weight there is for each exercise. a new workout that my buddy was telling me about for stregnth and been doing it especially for back because it was effective was to do like 5 different exercise for only 2 sets each, using the amount of weight that you can do basically only 8 reps of. we also switched the order of how we did the exercise too. like we do the wide grip pullups last instead of first. im sore almost everytime i do it..
    Last edited by phatmark; 01-29-2005 at 09:28 AM.

RobbieG is offline Member
    1:20x reps = warm up, put like 20 lbs or some e-z sh!t
    2:6x reps =working set, put the mutherfocker weight on that bar and work tha f.uck, scream b!tch !!
    3:8x reps = working set, take 50 % of the bar
    4: 6x reps = working set, same weight as #3.

-Be angry when working heavy.

donīt piramide up, do it down.
    fyrst warm up, then max. then go down.

My best results are like that.

after workout, eat sugar asp.

hour after workout, eat meat.
    have dinner.
    30 min before bed eat you protein shake.

Sleep atleast 8 hour. 12 Imo.

Donīt be girly-man!

btw, howīs you routine ?
    Last edited by RobbieG; 01-29-2005 at 10:34 AM.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I recently started doing really heavy weight with low reps with a few forced reps at the end of each set. I feel it for days.

yea the loosing 30lbs is from a medical thing, not a lack of eating... and one of you asked maybe im not using enough intensity with the workouts, but i must be because i'm exhausted after it...

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    I am sure that your diet is not bullet proof and neither is your workout routine, if those are the results you are talking about.

GIve us some more detail!

decadbal is offline Banned
    wait wait, you gained 50lbs recently, then lost 30 of it.. im thinking you didnt really look at scales or something.. or its all fat.. either way, post more info..

no no no i gained 50 lbs(not all fat) within the course of almost 2 years..... i was in the hospital for a little while and lost 30 of those pounds i worked hard to gain. but thats besides the point....would doing 16 sets rather than 12 be more for cutting than mass? or to make my workouts more effective should i just try new techniques(drop sets, heavy negatives, etc)?

decadbal is offline Banned
    intensity and rest between sets is what i change when i switch from bulkin to fat loss.. fat loss, less rest, higher intensity, bulkin, slower focused reps with a longer rest period between each set..

Thread Information