delroid is offline Junior Member

Unhappy deadlift + puking

im not really a heavy dead lifter, i was only doing 225lbs for 4 sets of 12 and by the 3rd set i started feelin dizzy a bit, but i went for the 4th set and while doing it i felt fine, the weight didnt feel heavy felt comfortable. However when i was done i couldnt help but feel sick and a bit light headed, i ran to the bathroom and puked.

what's the deal? this is the 2nd time this has happened to me with dead lifts.

What should i eat before the gym to prevent that, and should i be drinking gatorade instead of water?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    well, deadlifts (at least imo) are the best exercise hand down. They work just about every muscle you have got. I go a bit heavier on the deads, but even after months of doing them I still get sick. I wouldnt worry about it, in my experience nothing you can eat will take the sickness from a **** good workout away, but perhaps one of the other bros can help you with that. good luck

randumb is offline Junior Member
    I used to have the same problem. When I was doing 3x10 for deadlifts, I'd start feeling real nauseas on the last set and afterwards. I eventually determined that it was due to my improper pre-workout nutrition. Either eating too late or too soon before the workout. Now I make sure to eat 60-90 minutes before lifting, and don't eat anything too heavy (usually just eat oatmeal, milk, and egg whites before lifting). Haven't had a puking problem since. You also might want to try longer rests between sets and make sure you keep your breathing steady. Perhaps you're straining your body too hard and not giving it enough oxygen?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    i like to really push it with the deads too. i usually lift 1.5 hours after i eat, and have never puked from deads. its rare that i feel the way you do form deads, but i dunno i just hold it down good. i have only puked once, and that was from squats. i got home, took my protein shake, and puked it all up. (milk hurts like a mother to puke), i then immediately made another and consumed it and held it down. i felt f'ing hardcore.

my nutrition needs to improve, im in Boston and we got like 40+ inches of snow, so i didnt feel like leavin the house for a week hahaha.

So i started playin that halo 2 game and got addicted, i started goin to bed at like 6 am and wakeup up at 4:30 pm, yea.. i' did that for a week, no my scedule is messed up, so maybe the lack of excercise and nutrition this past week might of been an influence?

joey11 is offline Associate Member
    Whwn I dead-lift after my warm-up set i go right to 315 for 10 reps then 2 sets of 405 for 3-4 reps and I always see stars after those sets. It just means your'e working hard. It's a great feeling. LOL

decadbal is offline Banned
    im gonna say breathing....

i agree i never really go above 8 reps when i dead, but i know the feeling cuz after im done all iwant to do jus is juss sit down and relax

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    I get nautious mostly when working legs, but it happens on back days too sometimes. I think it's because legs and back are the biggest muscle group, and the lactic acid build up in blood from these large groups causes a feeling of nausea. Just means you're working out good and hard.

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    A few months ago I hurled 4 times at the gym. It was a leg day and it was in Iraq. That might've had something to do with it. Almost every leg workout I had in that god forsaken ****hole usually involved nausea. Maybe it was all the dust in the air, who knows? But this one day I pushed myself extra hard and just as my workout was over, I gave the filipino behind the counter my towel and immediately puked into the garbage can. all the people there were going "whoa" I puked about 4 times. made a shake, went to the chow hall and grubbed. I felt like a real soldier that day.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    im gonna say breathing....
    I was thinking that too... probably he's breathing incorrectly

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I was thinking that too... probably he's breathing incorrectly
    Or not deeply enough... inept blood-oxidation can cause nausea

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    This is a good article, explains the relationship between lactic acid and lack of oxygen. It is the elevated ammount of lactic acid in his blood causing the nausea, which could indeed be a result of improper breathing, or simply strenuous exercise.

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw7871.asp

i was breathing correctly slow and deep and full

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Feeling nausea & puking can be a indication of a huge hgh spike...according to the book I have read by dr. Ron Klatz.

a huge hgh spike?

Tryin2build is offline New Member
    lack of oxygen will give you these symptoms. Probibly from either not breathing properly, or just over-all strain to your body. Work out hard, deal with it =)~

mma_badboy is offline Junior Member
    feeling like your gonna puke while training is a great sign that your working your ass off!

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    '1 and then the 2, 2 and then the 3, 3 and then the 4, then you gotta breathe'

HammerCurler is offline Associate Member
    I've puked only once at the gym, it was on a leg day and I think it was due to my lack of pre-workout nutrition. I hadn't ate about 3 hours before working out.

The next leg workout I made sure I had a proper meal beforehand, and brought along a bottle of gatorade - I still felt nauseas after squats, but not enough to barf.

Thread Information