spitzor is offline New Member

Proper way to do decline bench

?? should the bar be brought down right about below your nipples? and ive heard rumors that decline doesnt realy do much at all, any help is much appreciated

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    I would bring it down to just above your nipple line...
    Now as far as doing them I don't bother with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. There's no real need to include them unless your upper chest is growing and your lower chest is lacking size which is rare since it's normally the other way around if there is a problem. Your lower chest gets plenty of stimulation on a flat bench so there's no real need to do decline.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    EMG shows that the greatest amount of motor unit recruitment in the pectoralis major is achieved by doing decline DB bench, followed by decline BB bench.

Serious Strength Training
    Tudor Bompa, Lorenzo Cornacchia

Electromyographical Research
    Melo, G.L & Cafarelli. (1994-5) Exercise Physiology Manual

Moritani, T., A. Nagata, & M. Muro. (1982) Electromygraphic manifestations on muscualr fatigue." Med Sci

Koyabashi Matsui, H. (1983) Analysis of myoelectric signals during dynamic and isometric contraction. Electro Clin Neurophys

DeLuca, C.J., R.S. LeFever et al. (1982) Behaviour of human motor units in different muscles during lineally varying contractions. JAP

Realize this depends on the individual, origin and insertion, grip, etc. However, I disagree with people saying decline are worthless, as they add variation to a routine. Also, anytime you change the angle of an exercise, you change the exercise. Therefore, one needs to effectively work their chest from all angles to maximize hypertrophy.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    I think they have a place, but I prefer weighted dips for lower pecs.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Above Nipples

IMO, decline is a waste of time and engery

stick to incline and flat bench

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, when I hit chest I attack it from all angles & leverages and this includes decline. I don't give a hoot if many say they are a waste because they certainly are not! You can perform heavier weights on the decline as the plane of travel is shortened. Bar can be at,slightly below nipples or evan to the neck. I may not do them all the time but when I do its worth it.

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    ya i use to not do decline and my lower chest is soft compared to the rest. i now put them into my chest routine every other week. hitting the chest at different angels is very important. i usually go to the nipples, or a lil below..

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I always did decline press in my chest routine. Only recently did i start to do weighted dips with the proper form and it has built my lower pecs up more in less time.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    on bench and decline i bring the bar right below my nipple my doc said that was best for my shoulders i dunno though

Thread Information