Thread: Overtraining?

Overtraining?

I am currently run for about 2 hours m-f at night usually around 6-8pm. If I lift in the am, would I be overtraining and if so will running alone maintain my strenght? any suggetions?
    Last edited by IronPumper80; 02-28-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Do you notice your pulse rate going up faster when you are doing cardio? Has your resting body tempertaure in the morning changed? Do you feel less hungry and more tired than usual? Does the idea of getting exercise make you feel wiped out before even getting to the gym? There are a lot of signs and different forms of overtraining. If you are getting a lot of frequent exercise you need to be properly supplying your body with adequete calories and rest - try and take a power nap sometime during the day to give your body another window to heal.

To maintain your current strength you need to keep working the target muscle's heavy so the fast-twitch stays properly trained and your mind stays properly motivated to heavy lifts. The detraining may take a little longer to set in if you are doing some sort of aerobic resistance training - but your anerobic threshold will drop. And a lot of aerobic activity without proper calories will drop your natural androgen levels as your body thinks it needs to drop some of the calorie-extensive muscle mass to be more effecient with the calories your are supplying...

Running 2 hours, Mon-Fri will drop yoru LBM... translating into loss of strength... your body wants to be effecient... one reason why you never seen frequent runners with thick muscle bellies...

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    what the hell kinda job do you have?

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    You should feel it if you were over training. Really tired and no energy.
    If your still feel good the next day then you probably are not over training.
    Over training does not make you loose muscle by the way!!!!!

...its your calorie intake that does it!

Warrior is right on the overdoing cardio part. If you dont take in sufficient calories when doing that much cardio a day then your body will drop some muscle.
    Most endurance athletes look like their bodies are wasting away, that is because they litterally are wasting away. If you want to keep your lean body mass in check you need to take in sufficient calories, for the cardio.
    As far as overtraining, It does not seem like you are experiencing it if you can get your ass to run that long after working all day.
    Last edited by phwSSJ; 01-30-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    what the hell kinda job do you have?
    blah
    Last edited by IronPumper80; 02-28-2007 at 02:11 PM.

turbolag87 is offline Associate Member
    I'm in the same position. It seems like I have no energy anymore when i go to the gym, just the thought of going to the gym makes me tired and MOOSHH I play hockey 2wice a week which requires some serious running and I think im overtraining my body as I'm always tired and burned out although i have upped my calorie intake by 500 cal.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    make sure you take carbs and electrolytes right after your workout.
    Carbs during workout helps too if its like a 2+ hour workout.

Timing of meals can make a big difference in energy levels. I think it varies from person to person, so you just got to find out what works for you. Sleep is also important. The number of hours of rest that you get is not as important as the quality of rest you get. I swear, after I got one of those magnetic sleeping pads and a tepurpedic pillow, my life changed. Now I can not sleep without them.

You also might be over training.
    Step back and reevaluate, you will find an answer.

PEACE

turbolag87 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    make sure you take carbs and electrolytes right after your workout.
    Carbs during workout helps too if its like a 2+ hour workout.

Timing of meals can make a big difference in energy levels. I think it varies from person to person, so you just got to find out what works for you. Sleep is also important. The number of hours of rest that you get is not as important as the quality of rest you get. I swear, after I got one of those magnetic sleeping pads and a tepurpedic pillow, my life changed. Now I can not sleep without them.

You also might be over training.
    Step back and reevaluate, you will find an answer.

PEACE

OK you got my attention now... Magnetic sleeping pads? explain bud

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turbolag87
    OK you got my attention now... Magnetic sleeping pads? explain bud

Heh, well ok, Its kind of hard to explain this one.
    I dont know much about them except that it makes me feel good.

I have a magnetic sleeping pad, magnetic shoe insoles, and magnetic balls (kinda like stress balls, not like the ones that hang under the frank)

I have more ballance with the insoles and the balls are pretty cool as well.
    They can be used for a lot of things.
    Last year in Vale Tudo practice (MMA) I my coach a knee in the mouth and his lip cot torn half way off. It was bleeding like crazy. His wife got out these magnetic balls and started rotating them around in her hand (kinda like you do with stress balls) she held it up to his lip that was gushing blood. By the time we got to the emergency his lip stopped bleeding.
    The doctors and nurses could not believe that he wasnt bleeding. His lip practically had a hole in it. A big one. He got it stitched and that was that.

I dont know what else to tell you about em. They were gifts and I think they work.
    Last edited by phwSSJ; 02-05-2005 at 01:23 AM.

Thread Information