Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    SHRED's Avatar
    SHRED is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CT *Formerly Buff_Daddy*
    Posts
    1,209

    Stretching while being sore

    I wanted to know if it is a good idea to stretch while you are sore or should I wait until my muscles heal more to stretch them out.

  2. #2
    BeerBaron's Avatar
    BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,458
    stretching always makes me feel better when I'm really sore and tight.

  3. #3
    kloter1's Avatar
    kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bubba Army
    Posts
    5,821
    i always stretch sore muscles, it gets them loosened up for the day.

  4. #4
    getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,220
    i always feel like i shouldnt stretch when sore/ just let it heal? maybe this isnt a good idea

  5. #5
    ReX357's Avatar
    ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,845
    Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    i always feel like i shouldnt stretch when sore/ just let it heal? maybe this isnt a good idea
    Stretching realigns your muscles fibers and help the healing process. This is why stretching should be an important part of your workout. Refer to this URL for more information on stretching and what it does:

    http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrjb/Stretc...ng_2.html#SEC5

  6. #6
    getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,220
    yea i stretch immediately after my workout. but i dont stetch that body part until it is healed and not sore anymore
    ex. i stretch immediately after chest/ but the next day when i am sore i dont stretch it before i do legs

  7. #7
    josh8416's Avatar
    josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    yea i stretch immediately after my workout. but i dont stetch that body part until it is healed and not sore anymore
    ex. i stretch immediately after chest/ but the next day when i am sore i dont stretch it before i do legs
    i do the exact same!

  8. #8
    phwSSJ's Avatar
    phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The DOJO
    Posts
    883
    Stretching is essential.
    Stretching when you are sore is a tricky question.
    Here is what I know..you can formulate your own answer.
    First: your body has mechanisms to protect itself.
    example: when you get sick and you get a fever, your body is raising body
    temp to kill infection.
    Second: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is a result of the pain you feel from tearing
    your muscles on the previous workout.

    Know put it together: Your body also has a defense mechanism for the muscles.
    Eccentric contraction causes muscle breakdown/tear.
    Ecentric contraction is also associated with stretching.
    Ever notice how when your biceps are sore you cant
    extend your arms out all the way??
    That is your body telling you.."stop asshole I'm already tore up let me heal!!!"
    Just like when you stretch and you cant go out any further, its a defense mechanism of the body.
    This also proves the importance of working out with proper speed and form, not letting the weight drop. You cuse more dammage to the muscle on the eccentric contraction.
    And the eccentric contraction is 1.5 times stronger than concentric contraction, so if you want to get strong do negatives!!!!

    I personally dont stretch when I am really sore.
    Many people think that soreness is caused from lactic acid build up and stretching releases it. They are tottaly wrong!!!!

    Hope I helped..
    Good luck
    Last edited by phwSSJ; 03-03-2005 at 02:15 AM.

  9. #9
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    Wait a minute...
    Are you a med student or physiologist? You sound good, but do you really know what you are talking about? The last time I was really sore from my adductors, I still stretched as far as I could take the pain. It was only about half my normal range, but I'm all better now. Stronger too. Just my two cents.

  10. #10
    phwSSJ's Avatar
    phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The DOJO
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Wait a minute...
    Are you a med student or physiologist? You sound good, but do you really know what you are talking about? The last time I was really sore from my adductors, I still stretched as far as I could take the pain. It was only about half my normal range, but I'm all better now. Stronger too. Just my two cents.
    Ya I do know what I am talking about.
    Do you see anything that doesnt make sense with what I just said???

    Your body will heal regardless of if you stretch when you are sore or not.
    I personally do not cuz it slows the healing process a tad bit.


    What I did was explain to you all what is going on inside the body.
    The human body is very efficient and resilient.
    I am studying to be a physiologist.
    I try to acuire as much info as I can so I read all kinds of journals, even medical journals.
    You can learn a lot of this stuff just by getting an ACSM membership.
    You get acess to online journals as well as newsletters and journals via mail.

  11. #11
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    cool, I'll ask my other MD friends if they concur.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    779
    I think you are talking about the GTO reflex, which says that to a certain point when putting strain on a muscle that it will fight back, but once you reach a certain point your muscles will relax and allow that stretch which will in turn maximize your stretching. Always a good idea to stretch whenever, but especially before and after a workout.

    On a side note, an MD usually does not examine subjects such as this one as in depth as a physiologist does, and a physiologis doesn't always review things specifically relating exercise as does an exercise physiologist.
    Last edited by the hulkster; 03-07-2005 at 01:31 PM.

  13. #13
    phwSSJ's Avatar
    phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The DOJO
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    I think you are talking about the GTO reflex, which says that to a certain point when putting strain on a muscle that it will fight back, but once you reach a certain point your muscles will relax and allow that stretch which will in turn maximize your stretching. Always a good idea to stretch whenever, but especially before and after a workout.

    On a side note, an MD usually does not examine subjects such as this one as in depth as a physiologist does, and a physiologis doesn't always review things specifically relating exercise as does an exercise physiologist.
    \

    let me rephrase what I said.
    I am studying to be an exercise physiologist.

    GTO reflex, yes when you are stretching not sore from DOMS.

    But stretching + DOMS is different.

  14. #14
    phwSSJ's Avatar
    phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The DOJO
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    cool, I'll ask my other MD friends if they concur.

    Let me know what they say,

    I am by no means an MD so I would love to hear what they think about this topic.

  15. #15
    63190's Avatar
    63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    2,263
    Well, as you are studying to be an exercise phys v. MD, I think you'd be the one to know. MD's usually take that "If it hurts to do it, don't do it" approach. Or "Take two of these and call me in the morning".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •