Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960

    hardgainer question!

    i've been erading alot about hardgainers lately, which i think i am, and all these studies say that basically in a nutshell if you're a hardgainer than you should be oly hitting the weights 3-4 times a week and should be a 1 on and 1 off type of split with only like 2 exercises with 2-3 sets. now because im pretty sure that i am a hardgainer, based on when i started training i was extremely skinny, with like 0% bf and a crazy fast metabolism. ok now for my question, because i've put some muscle on and im used to the training now should i incease the workout load or because of me being naturally a hardgainer would this still be the best split for me to follow??? also is the reason for the 1on 1off mostly for the recovery of the CNS or is it more based towards burning less calories???
    Last edited by crosby7117; 02-09-2005 at 03:08 PM.

  2. #2
    getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,220
    If It Aint Broke Dont Fix It!!

  3. #3
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    If It Aint Broke Dont Fix It!!
    so are you basically saying that if you werebaorn a hardgainer than follow the hardgainer training no matter how big/advanced you are...?

  4. #4
    getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,220
    no but if you are making gains why change?? if you are at a plateau try something new

  5. #5
    bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,015
    Doing a particular routine that says it is for hardgainers is bogus imo. Sure there are many good programs but diet is uno #1. Most ecto's are very hard gainers such as myself. After much experience you can tell what may or may not work for you but I think a good start would be blasting only one muscle a workout. And with some intensity and volume. If a hardgainer trains 2-3 muscle groups per workout then the body will grab the nutrients to the vital organs for survival first ,then recovery of muscles. And if you have 2-3 muscles then you can EXPECT deminishing returns.

  6. #6
    Testsubject's Avatar
    Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    shoutingatthedevil
    Posts
    2,816
    Forget everything you've read about hardgainers and training and start reading up on hardgainers and eating. Ill tell you right now if you're a hardgainer, which you say you are then you need to have you're diet based on a 2:1 or even 3:1 carb to protein ratio. Get your carbs from potatoes, rice, pasta, and oats and get you prtoein from beef, chicken, turkey, and use protein shakes to supplement. Another piece of advice I have is focus more on getting enough carbs in rather that getting enough protein in. The only time that you should be really focusing on getting the right amout of protein in is right after you'r workout and right before bed.

  7. #7
    ST240's Avatar
    ST240 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    And with some intensity and volume. If a hardgainer trains 2-3 muscle groups per workout then the body will grab the nutrients to the vital organs for survival first ,then recovery of muscles. And if you have 2-3 muscles then you can EXPECT deminishing returns.
    You cant be serious.... I am a hardgainer as well and everyone has told me that i should be doing a 3 day on 4 day off split. Not one group per day. Sigh im never gonna get to the bottom of this

  8. #8
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by ST240
    You cant be serious.... I am a hardgainer as well and everyone has told me that i should be doing a 3 day on 4 day off split. Not one group per day. Sigh im never gonna get to the bottom of this

    this is the way i see it! hardgainers find it hard to recover from intense workouts, this may not be so much revolving around muscle recovery but CNS recovery. Now if your natural body structure is a twig, and your CNS is easily overtrained because of the fact you are a "hardgainer" then that means you are a hardgainer and always will be no matter how much muscle you put on your body! second being a hardgainer and putting on more and more muscle mass you're moer prone to overtraining because the bigger you get the heavy you lift which means your body might be 240lbs but your CNS is still the little 150lbs skinny guy! but if im wrong someone correct me b/c this is just my reasoning and opinion...

  9. #9
    BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,502
    You should heavily consider buying the following book. It is an excellent resource for hardgainers and will answer many of the questions you've posed.

    BEYOND BRAWN by Stuart McRobert

    Another good book is:

    The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique by Stuart McRobert

    Here is a link to his site:
    http://hardgainer.com/

  10. #10
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    You should heavily consider buying the following book. It is an excellent resource for hardgainers and will answer many of the questions you've posed.

    BEYOND BRAWN by Stuart McRobert

    Another good book is:

    The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique by Stuart McRobert

    Here is a link to his site:
    http://hardgainer.com/
    thanks bro i will definately look into it! am i on the money or far away from it?

  11. #11
    bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by ST240
    You cant be serious.... I am a hardgainer as well and everyone has told me that i should be doing a 3 day on 4 day off split. Not one group per day. Sigh im never gonna get to the bottom of this
    DUH yes i am serious! I am not saying stay like this forever but how is your split working for you?? Being a hardgainer guys tend to workout everything thus reducing the total effectivness of stimulating one muscle. Concentrate on hitting only one muscle allows you to focus solely with all your energy on that muscle. I occasionally still incorporate one muscle routines and advocate its uses. I could give a hoot what others say about what a hardgainers routine should be. If they ARE not a hardgainer ecto type they know crap what may or may not work as they speak from what others say. I speak from experience and that speaks volumes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •