is this overtraining???

Day 1: Chest/Back
    Day 2: off
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: arms
    DAy 5: legs
    Day 6: off
    Day 7: start over

i know chest and back are not normally done together but i am doing this to mix things up a little with supersets!
    also would legs be ok to do the day before back????/ b/c of deads on back day??
    i was just wondering if i am overworking my tri's? i only do 1 press on shoulders and 3 exercises of tri's on arm day.
    what yall think?

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    if this helps any here is an example of one of my workouts
    Chest/Back supersets
    1: a. Flat Bench 4X12/10/8/6
    b. wide grip pull ups 4x failure
    2: a. Incline Bench 3x 8-10
    b. Tbar rows 3x8-10
    3: a. DB Flyes 3x10-12
    b. Lat Pulls 3x10012
    4: a. DB pullovers 3x 10
    b. deads 3x 10

for arms i use 3 exercises for 3 sets each for both bi's and tri's and only one press movement when doing shoulders

Malvino is offline New Member
    I wanna use this form to ask a similar question ive been working out for 5 months and i do a similar routine. Im bout 5,10 160lbs

monday - legs, squats, caves, and (the machines that pull up weights behind your leg under your ass)

tuesday - bicep - sholder - forearms, hammer curls, military, wrist twists

wednesday - chest tricept , incline,decline,straight(i rotate 2 of them), pull downs

thursday - stomach , sit ups cable crunches, leg raises,

friday - off

saturday - back, deads, chins, (this movement that you pull a weight up one side of your body while leaning on a bench)

sunday - off

i think you mean one arm rows on back day and that workout isnt too similar to mine maybe you didnt understand what i posted??

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Malvino, you look like you are undertraining, and just doing maintnence.

Getbig888, your routine looks decent. It depends on how fast you heal, your intensity, etc. I do a 4 day split, one day of rest in the 4 days, day 1 chest back, day two arms, day three shoulders legs, day 4 rest. I heal that fast. If i get rid of the rest day, i overtrain. I also do about 8 exercises per day, and 3-4 sets per exercise.

Hed, that seems like alot but everyone is different. i couldnt train bi's and tri's the day after chest and back

Hed
    Yea, that was my main point. My recovery time is real fast, esp on a cycle. If i hit the chest back day balls-to-the-wall, ill be sore as hell 24 hours later, 48 hours later slightly sore to almost healed, then i add an extra 24 hours to be sure. Same with any other body part also.....

yea i get sore as hell in my triceps so i have to take 2 days off before i can do any other press after arms. and i cant work my tri's until at least 2 days after chest

bumpidy bump bump

no such thing as over training jmo tho...i usuaully go til i cant any more...then i go a few more...its been workin amazing for me...but i dunno dont wanna give any bad advice bro...

how long have you been liftin?

5 years/ and i was just wondering if i am overtraining my triceps in that workout.

Hed
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural3456
    no such thing as over training jmo tho...i usuaully go til i cant any more...then i go a few more...its been workin amazing for me...but i dunno dont wanna give any bad advice bro...

how long have you been liftin?

He doesnt mean overtraining in a single day.

Overtraining meaning not getting enough rest between workouts for the muscle to heal.

yea and u can also overtrain in a single day very easily

Personally, I never do any of these exercises on consecutive days, Legs, back, chest, deadlifts. I find that training one large muscle group the day after the other makes overtraining very easy. Especially back and legs more than chest. I would NEVER do back and legs on consecutive days. If I hit them both hard 2 days in a row, it's a given that I'm so wooped I wont be able to stay at work a full day the next day. But thats just me

Malvino is offline New Member
    [QUOTE=Hed]Malvino, you look like you are undertraining, and just doing maintnence. QUOTE]

I think i agree with you, i hear alot of people talk about how sore they are after a workout. I use to get sore chest now i don't i go for 8 reps and push myself till my face is beat red. The only body part that seems to be sore after a workout is legs and back.

Ive never had sore arms or sholders, maybe stiff for a few hours afterwards. I was wondering if maybe i should go for 12-15 reps instead of 8 would this maybe work my muscles in a different way? Intensity is there, i definitly don't stop when im tired or exhuasted and i always fail on the decline.

what about triceps??? am i overtraining them in this routine??

Thread Information