livewire57 is offline Associate Member

rotator cuffs and free weight dumbell press

I hate bench press (its too restricting and you always need a spotter) so I use free weights for my chest workouts. My friend told me I will **** up my rotator cuffs by putting up too much weight wiith dumbells. I usually do 85x8 90x6 and 95x5 flat bench and 75x8 80x6 and 85x5 incline. Should I just switch to bench?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I feel that flat bench barbell is very important in developing chest strength. Dumbells are also great especially for incline presses, and I would not worry about the weight you are working with injuring you.

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire57
    I hate bench press (its too restricting and you always need a spotter) so I use free weights for my chest workouts. My friend told me I will **** up my rotator cuffs by putting up too much weight wiith dumbells. I usually do 85x8 90x6 and 95x5 flat bench and 75x8 80x6 and 85x5 incline. Should I just switch to bench?

Eaither one WILL fvck up your shoulders real good if you try too much weight. Also you should warm up a bit more /w some 45's or something for 25-30 reps first bare mininum.

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    thats funny, when you have rotator problems it is recomended that you use dumbells. just watch the way you get into your starting position, you have the greatest chance of hurting yourself trying to lift the weight to the starting pos.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    devil is 100 percent correct, dumbells r much easier on joints and rotator cuff, About 4 months ago i got back into lifting n tried to bench, my shoulders were KILLING ME!!! so i used all dumbells for chest, got up to 95's about 6 times. Now i recently went over to the bench n tried it out, and my shoulders felt great, no pain, n even felt very strong, so maybe try dumbells for a while, then try going back over the bench, just a thought

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Dumbbells add stability training, for the shoulder, during your chest workout. The hands are on a fixed bar and when you struggle, generally you try to put most of the load onto strong shoulder. If you see the bar, one side is higher than the other. This does not happen with dumbbells. Your stronger shoulder cannot cheat for you. The dumbbells will also force your shoulder to stabilize more because of the challenge of the shoulders working independent of each other. Louie Simmons uses dumbbells for recovery workouts for his shoulders.

Thread Information