ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"

Pullovers - Dumbells vs Barbell

What's the difference between doing pullovers with a barbell and doing them with a dumbell? Grip is obviously wider with the barbell. Any added benefits to either of the exercise?

BDTR is offline Retired
    I get a better stretch with the dumbell. The upside to the barbell is you dont have to worry about a loose plate dropping off the dumbbell and clonking you in the head (i've had that happen). I also like the hammerstrength pullover machine, i throw it in from time to time.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Like bdtr said you get a much better stretch with the db and that is key to the whole exercise. It will also hit your chest area better escpecially if there is a slight bend in the elbows. Using a straight bar will also work your overall back but there is a higher % of some sort of injury from going too deep and too much weight. I NEVER DO THEM with a bar but ALWAYS the db. I do the straight arm pull-down on the lat machine instead.

BDTR is offline Retired
    There's just something uncomfortable about the straight bar ones.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The straight bar will add a stability challenge into the performance of the exercise. The straight bar is very long and one side can drop lower than the other. It's almost like doing pullovers with a dumbbell in each hand. You can see if you have a strength deficit on one side of your body.

Thread Information