Headstrong_555 is offline Junior Member

Going Lighter, but much Slower?

All,

I have started changing my lifting techniques. Rather than goind heavy and throwing the weight around, I have gone lighter and each rep is extremely slow and controlled. Normally I could bench 275 for 8-12, but now I am only using 225 and can barely get by my fourth set. Though the weight is lighter, my pumps are amazing and nothing comapred to before. Is this bad to drop the weight and go slow?

-=-Head-=-

Njectable is offline Member
    form should come before anything, if you were just throwing it up before then i'm not sure it was accomplishing a whole lot except for your chance of increase injury, i usually say 3 seconds for your positive, and then 3 more seconds on your negative, so thats pretty slow reps, don't get me wrong tho don't sit there and count how long its taking you to complete that rep, just do it at a speed where you figure its taking 2-3 seconds to bring the weight up and another 2-3 seconds to bring it back down in a very controlled manor. i think your better off dropping weight and going slow tho, no doubt

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Slow is the way to go.......you'll gain more from this then you'll realize. It feels, to me, that every muscle fiber expends itself when lifting in this manner. Keep lifting in this manner and assess how you feel after a month or so.....bet you'll lift more on core lifts when you decide to toss the really heavy stuff around.

That is what I have been feeling. I think 90% is getting past the mental part of dropping the weight. No doubt the pumps are better and I feel it a ton more. Thanks for the replies

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Headstrong_555
    That is what I have been feeling. I think 90% is getting past the mental part of dropping the weight. No doubt the pumps are better and I feel it a ton more. Thanks for the replies
    Funny you would say that cause I get looks in the gym from some of the guys working out around me.....just the other day a freind of mine made a comment about lifting light weight so I told him to do just three sets just as I do with Skullcrushers...he could do as little or as much weight as he wanted but he had to do it exactly like me.......I cut the weight he was using to LESS than what I was using.......he couldn't finish his last set. None of the other guys wanted to embarass themselves so they declined my offer.

So **** true...It reallly is a mindset you have to get past. 225 never felt so heavy. I mean last set 10 reps was literally grueling. We will see how the next month shapes up.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    time under tension!!! does wonders

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    I started doing this also, mainly for bis and tris. Works amazing. Youd be amazed on exercises like concentration curls or something like that, how well it works.

Best way to train in my opinion! Also is a lot harder to get injured

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    it burns like a mofo... preacher curls is the worst... by time time you get ur last two reps out with a spotter helping out with a few pounds you feel like ur whole bicep is pulsating... there is no better feeling than finishing the set and finally being able to let the weight go releiving the tension off of the muscles... wow...

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    I wonder if this has any real different effect than training with more rapid movements, such as the idea of "exploding" on the positive movement, especially if the amount of work your muscles do is about the same. I bet there is some way to mathematically represent the relationship with time under tension, weight, and reps. It would be a good research proposal.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    i dont like that technique doesnt feel good

Thread Information