Thread: Thr... Wtf????

dan991 is offline Anabolic Member

Thr... Wtf????

Alright, so I started working out again, both to shred body fat, and also gain mass. More importantly, to shred body fat and get rid of this minature spare tire around my waste. So, here's the question. What does my target heart rate need to be to burn the most body fat possible or "cut up" as you can say. My stats are:

5' 8"
    153 lbs.
    33 waist
    27 years old
    Small spare tire (beer and pizza, which I quit)

That being said, every calculator out there says my target heart rate is 125 bpm at 65%. The problem is, that doesn't seem high enough considering that I can go above that just walking.
    So, I'm at the gym, and on the eliptical machine. I enter all my info. into the machine and it says that my target heart rate is 125 under the "burn fat" program that the machine has. So, I proceed on that thing for 1 hour trying to stay at 125 to 127 bpm, and the **** thing is telling me to slow down to lower my heart rate at anything higher than 127. I don't know how accurate the thing is because the sensors are on the handles. So, I spend $100 on a watch that tells you BPM rates, and it's the same as the machine. The main problem is, although I'm sweating, I'm barely moving. The machine is at approx. 40 RPM and it feels like I'm walking on this machine. Then, I ask the trainer at the gym, and he tells me the opposite, saying that I should be at atleast 150 BPM based on my stats to burn fat at my max potential. That being said, I'm confused as all hell. Who's right, who's wrong? WTF? I've spent the last 2 weeks listening to the stupid machine and all the calculators on line that say my target heart rate is 125.45 to be exact. So.... now what?

What is my maximized target heart rate to burn body fat. Also, at that rate, is 1 hour too long of a work out and how often is that workout acceptable to my body. I've been doing an hour a day for over a week.

My goal is to cut up, and put on a little mass. I eat enough protein, and I"m not on any supplements other than protien.

THIS SUCKS !

Help?????

talon is offline Senior Member
    TMHR (target maximum heart rate) is quantified using a simple equation. 220-age (your age). Then mulitiply that number by the percent you want to work out, which is generally 60% to 90%.

Like this: Im 23yrs old. So, 220-23=197 (this in your targeted max heart rate)
    Then: 197x.60(60 percent) and 197x.90(90 percent) = 60% of max heart rate is 118bpm and at 90% its 177bpm. So for maximal cardiovascular benefits exercise maintaing a heart rate between these two numbers(118bpm and 177bpm). To get optimul fat burning/cardiovascular benefits, exercise closer to 90% of your target max which, again, is 177bpm for atleast 30 mins a time for a frequency of 3 to 5 times a week.

Wow. Talk about wasted time. 5 days straight, 1 hour a day, and kept it a 125. That sucks ass. Well, thanks for the info. Now hopefully will make a huge difference compared to what I"ve been doing. Every **** thing I've read so far is saying the same equation, but to stay at the "lower end" of the scale to burn fat.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Yhea bro that max target HR equation was designed by the NCSM (National College Of Sports Medicine) and used by athletic trainers nationwide. Im getting my degree in just that and I use it on a normal bases with almost every individual except cardiac rehab patients, whom need less stress because of his or her former conditions.

LOL... I got pimped and did 5 hours of "warm up" to the "real deal." I'm just totally pissed about it. Ya don't even know. I'm sitting thinking: "What are fat people complaining about? This crap is easy and not a lot of work to burn fat." I'm thinking that sitting there trying to keep my bpm @ 125 and the stupid machine is telling me to "slow down to reduce target heart rate" at anything above 127 bpm, and this is using the machines "Burn Body Fat" program it has in it. You just enter your age, weight, and the length of time you want to work out.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Your still burning fat bro... Thats why its your TARGET heart rate! I usually aim for 75% however. I find anything below that is too low and anything above that is to catabolic!

So, since everyone is different, how do you know if you are too low, or too high ? I'm sure that there isn't a "perfect" rate, but still. How can you tell if you're going catabolic?

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisinturn1
    So, since everyone is different, how do you know if you are too low, or too high ? I'm sure that there isn't a "perfect" rate, but still. How can you tell if you're going catabolic?

burning of lean body mass

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    If you wish to tap muscle then go for the 90% otherwise stay in the 60-70% range. Do not expect mass gains when you are trimming down unless you are very experienced in everything. Your only as catabolic as your immediate nutrition is off keel..

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    If you wish to tap muscle then go for the 90% otherwise stay in the 60-70% range. Do not expect mass gains when you are trimming down unless you are very experienced in everything. Your only as catabolic as your immediate nutrition is off keel..
    Agreed, keep your protein nice and high, use the target heart rate calculation and figure it out for 70-75%!

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I perform cardio at 75% max HR which for me is 146.

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    There is something to be said for varied intensity levels. I know when I ride the elliptical rider or tread mill I get a better workout at different levels. However, I aim to stay close to the 75% MHR. 45 mins to and hour target 3 to 4 times per week.

Well, I did 45 minutes on the eliptical machine and kept my HR at around 150. That sucked at first, but after about 10 minutes I was fine.

longhornDr is offline Member
    How long has it been since you've worked out? It sounds like you are just in poor shape now, after a few weeks it will take much more effort to get your heart rate to the 60-75% range.

Thread Information