Dumbbell Flyes/ Presses Help!

Watching a demostration of the proper form for dumbbell flyes and dumbbell presses, and my jaw dropped when I thought I might have been doing them wrong for the whole 2 years I've been training...

For dumbbell chest presses my shoulders have always come in a bit towards my sides rather than being in a straight line almost. The middle of the dumbbells always fell right by my nipple meanwhile in the demonstration the dumbbell always stayed above the nipple on the sides. I don't know if this is a great description let me know if I should show a pic or give a more detailed description. Is the demonstration correct or am I?

For Dumbbell Flyes once again the middle of the dumbbell where I would hold it would be directly above my nipple. Shouldn't the end of the dumbbell farthest from me be above my nipple? I have never had much sucess with chest and maybe this is the reason why. Can you guys tell me, has my technique been wrong the whole time?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    DB flies on the upward contraction part the hands are over the nipple area. Of course there are variations to this too. But sounds like you have the db to far up towards your neck. As for db chest presses it depends if you are on a incline,decline or flat and once again there are many variations.

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    the more flared out the elbows are, the more it will work the pecs and if the elbows are more tucked in, and lower towards the nipples, then it will do more triceps than pecs. If the max dumbells are too easy, then try flaring the elbows out so that it puts more on the pecs.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    flaring elbows? wont that cause some shoulder injury? just my opinion

Trafficdodger is offline New Member
    if it puts too much strain on your shoulders, do more shoulder workouts. the easiest way to increase the strength and tightness of the inside of the shoulder is to do easy cable, light weight stuff....the stuff you would for rehabing a shoulder injury. i was blessed with rediculously loose shoulders, but i never had to have surgery becuase of those simple excercises

dazbo is offline Senior Member

hurting shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    flaring elbows? wont that cause some shoulder injury? just my opinion
    IMO no it wont. it will only cause pain/injury if you take the weight down too low, which there is no need to go so low. Elbows flared has the elbows in the same postitionas say machine flyes or dumbell flyes. And they are done so that more tension is placed on the pecs to isolate them - the same goes with dumbell press. Also, generally, you would be using a slightly lighter weight due to it being more stressfull on the pecs.

Thread Information