everybody talks about it on here

xfade7 is offline Member
    i believe 5 reps per set and 5 sets total

xfade7

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quaker48
    everybody talks about it on here
    They do?

Then what do they say in those threads? Surely if everybody talks about it, then there should be a lot of information you have read, thus indicating what the program is all about.

Right?

~SC~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I never talk about it. Sometimes these number things bugs the h*ll out of me...

quaker48 is offline Associate Member
    well what i ment was that i see where people recomend useing it and i was just wondering if it was a certain program or just how it sounds 5x5 with whatever bodypart you choose to train that day. oh and yes swole people do talk about it on here just do a search

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    This method is favoured by alot of ppl... give it a read:

Originally posted by Needsize:

I'll do my best to try and remember all the elements that make the program work.

The premise of the routine is progressive overload, meaning that every week you are putting increasing amounts of stress on the muscles, generally through small increases in the amount of weight used. The progressive overload forces the body to grow to adapt to the increasing amounts of stress, even though the body really isnt training to failure.

The routine consists of choosing a heavy compound exercise to use for each bodypart, these can include, squat, deadlifts, bench press, close grip bench, standing barbell curls, military press, etc. On top of the initial 5x5, you also choose 2 other exercises, and aim to do 2 sets on each, of 8-10 reps per set.
    Here's a sample routine
    Chest
    Flat bench 5x5
    incline dumbell press 2x8-10
    incline flyes 2x8-10

The key for me when using this routine is to start light, at weights that you can easily nail your reps and concentrate on form. For example, say you can bench 225lbs for 8 reps, start with 195lbs on the bar. This should be easy, but if you keep your reps slow and in control, you will still get a good pump and have a good workout. Next week, bump up the weight by a SMALL increment, remember the key is to be able to keep adding weight, it's not a race to get to the massive poundages. If you add too quickly you will plateau in a hurry and the routine wont do jack for you. So you hit 5x5 on 195, next week its 200, the week after 205, etc. When you get to a point where you're starting to have trouble hitting your reps, add something extra to help, if you're natural, thats when I would throw in creatine and whatever else as this will help you keep adding weight. If you dont get all 5x5, then do not add more weight next week, stick with the same and the odds are you'll hit it next time you try.

This routine is very effective as it targets fast twitch muscle fibres(5x5) as well as slower twitch(8-10reps) all in the same workout. Generally when done correctly you can gain lots of size as well as some pretty incredible strength all at the same time. I'm only a bodybuilder and dont give a rat's ass about strength, but have hit lifts (ie, deadlift 550lbs for 5 reps) that would allow me to compete as a powerlifter.
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 02-22-2005 at 12:31 PM.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xfade7
    i believe 5 reps per set and 5 sets total

xfade7
    Basically yes. It is a good strength program, or good to incorporate into your periodization.

Thread Information