BigD is offline Associate Member

Proper Bench Press Form?

Someone told me awhile back that when doing bench press not to let you elbows go past a 90 degree angel on the way down. He said that onces you go past that point you are putting too much stress on your rotator cuff and your working your shoulders more than you are your chest.

Basically you not supposed to bring the bar all the way down to your chest.

Is there any truth to this or was he talking out of his ass.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    1. Train your rotators, and they'll not be a weak link.
    2. Shortening your bench rom may inhibit joint flexability and muscle limberness.

Bench pressing is the most functional chest exercise there is IMO. And bench press form depends on the person. Some prefer and perform better with closer grips and others with wider grips. However, in EVERY chest pressing movement you're going to have delt and tricep stress as they're synergists for the primary mover (pecs).

I would suggest that you always work through a full range of motion, unless you have an injury that prevents you from doing so or there is persistant pain associated with that range. In the latter case seek an MD for treatment and let it heal.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    1. Lie flat on a bench, feet firmly on floor.
    2. Make sure that your butt, back, shoulders, and head are firmly positioned on the bench.
    3. Roll your shoulders back and down so the shoulder blades are firmly pressed against the bench and the chest is sticking up. This should result in the spine being slightly arched.
    4. Your arms should be placed straight up with your hands gripping the bar slightly wider than shoulder width.
    5. Inhale and hold your breath as you lower the weight. When the bar reaches the chest, even with your nipples, begin to move the weight upward. Do not bounce the weight off your chest. This can cause massive injuries.
    6. Exhale as you pass the point of greatest resistance. Pause slightly at the top of the movement and repeat.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    If you want maximum strenght I would go down to the upper abs or lower chest with the barbel and press it straight upp or sligtely inclined againts the feets and keep your elbows tucked.
    works for me anyway but it involves more triceps and less chest.
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 03-28-2002 at 03:50 PM.

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    I have heard the same thing about doing chest flys. Supposedly, when your arms reach the point that they are parallel with the width of your body, you should not go any further.
    However, I have never found any documented evidence that this way is better, or that the other way is dangerous.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    i liek to bring the dumbell flyes down past parallel a little cause i like the stretch i get when finished

Core is offline Junior Member
    I always touch my chest when I bench. I dont bounce, just a nice controlled touch. I think a full range of movement is much better.

Nate_Dog is offline Member
    I think with heavy weights+full range you should add in some rotator cuff exercises. You fuck your shoulder and you will be very inhibited in movement. Just ask anyone that has had a Rotator cuff injury. ITS NOT FUN.

I have only recently whilst studying begun to understand more about the injury prevention aspect of doing strengthening internal/external rotation exercise for the shoulder joint.

With flyes I love that dirty ass stretch you get with a full ROM.

ciao,
    Nate

Ironweb is offline Member
    Whenever I have question about form I go to the book. Arnold schwarzenegger the new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding. He writes the following about form

Execution:

1. Lie on a flat bench, your feet on the floor for balance. Your grip should be mediun wide (which means that as you lower the bar to your chest, your hands shouldbe wide enough apart so that your forearms point straight up, perpendicular to the floor) Lift the bar off the rack and hold it at arms length above you.
    2. Lower the bar slowly and under control until it touches just below the pectoral muscles. Keep the elbows pointed outward in order to fully involve the chect. The bar should come to a complete stop at this point. Press the bar upward once more until your arms are fully locked out. Always go through a full range of motion unless instructed specifically to do otherwise.

From the man himself.

lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Ironweb
    Whenever I have question about form I go to the book. Arnold schwarzenegger the new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding. He writes the following about form

Execution:

1. Lie on a flat bench, your feet on the floor for balance. Your grip should be mediun wide (which means that as you lower the bar to your chest, your hands shouldbe wide enough apart so that your forearms point straight up, perpendicular to the floor) Lift the bar off the rack and hold it at arms length above you.
    2. Lower the bar slowly and under control until it touches just below the pectoral muscles. Keep the elbows pointed outward in order to fully involve the chect. The bar should come to a complete stop at this point. Press the bar upward once more until your arms are fully locked out. Always go through a full range of motion unless instructed specifically to do otherwise.

if arnold says it. it is good enough for me. he is the man

From the man himself.

Thread Information