Flaco is offline Associate Member

Increasing weight

How often should you increase the weight to any exercise?I can be lifting the same weight on an exercise for a month and still feel as if its alot....Also lets say your routine for biceps is the following...barbell curls...dumbell curls and cable curls...when increasing the weight how would you go about this...you cant just up the weight on all 3 exercises right?I need help!!!!

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    when i do my last set for 4 reps and i get that clean, i will slap 5-10 more pounds to each side (increase 10-20 total lbs)

Flaco is offline Associate Member
    SO basically increase the weight when your hitting a current weight with no trouble...

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    My goal is simple. Always try and increase either the weight, reps or intensity. When you train your biceps for example, don't do the same workout every time, or at least change the intensity.

Try this, Your next bicep workout increase the weight of all your exercises to allow you to fail between 6-8. Next bicep workout choose a weight you can do for 10 reps, but compound set three exercises in a row. Next week try increasing the volume by performing 10 sets of 8-10 resting no more than 1:00 max between sets. This type of training allows you to make gains in strength and conditions your body to replenish your ATP supplies faster as well which means you stay stronger longer.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    I ususally increse the weight when I feel I need to, and that is about every month or so, I increase either 2.5 lbs or 5 lbs depending on the exercise. However eventually I plateau out and am stuck or decrease. At that point I usually change the exercise and go for a similar movement, then come back to it in another 3 months or so and see if I have moved it up or not.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I like using the plate mates that are 1 1/4 lb each, they are magnetic and you just attach them to the weight plate on the barbell so you can go up in weight at a smaller increment then using 2 2.5 lb plates.

HalOd03 is offline Associate Member
    you can just go up 10lbs. on all ur sets, next time u do bi's say ur doin barbell curls, and u usually start off with 100, start with 110, 2nd set 110 do 120..3rd set do 130......if u can only get a few reps on all of them dont worry about it, the strength with come along, alot faster than u think, probably only 2 or 3 more times doin bi's..

thats how i do it for every exercise i do for every muscle...its all mental, u think u cant do 10-20lbs. more becuz the weight u were already doin was so hard....but once u slap that extra 10-20lbs. u get all the reps with ease....then u think to urself why havent i tryed this a month ago......

Good Luck, Get BiGG!

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Personally I try to do more weight everytime I go into the gym, whether it be 5 or 10 pounds, but something more than what I did the last time I worked that muscle group. Here is why. Your muscles have memory, and that is why you have stuck with the same weight everytime. You have to shock your muscles that is the only way you will grow and your muscles will get stronger, and larger.
    If you don't push your muscles to do more weight, then you wont' grow and you will stay on the same weight workout after workout.

lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Sicilian30
    Personally I try to do more weight everytime I go into the gym, whether it be 5 or 10 pounds, but something more than what I did the last time I worked that muscle group. Here is why. Your muscles have memory, and that is why you have stuck with the same weight everytime. You have to shock your muscles that is the only way you will grow and your muscles will get stronger, and larger.
    If you don't push your muscles to do more weight, then you wont' grow and you will stay on the same weight workout after workout.
    I agree with sicilian30 this is how i always go into the gym so that even if i can not do i will have my workout partner help me out with last few reps and make me really burn that way. i notice ussally in few weeks or so i be doing that wieght with no problem and doing a heavier wieght

Thread Information