eradikate is offline Senior Member

Dumbell press or Barbell press?

What do you guys prefer? DB or BB? i personally prefer dumbell because you can work out your muscles evenly. I use to do barbell press alot but i realized that my right pec was getting bigger than my left. So i switches to dumbells which it separtes the muscles and work them each pecs evenly. dont you guys agree?

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Just do both.....I always thought it's good to change out your routine every once in awhile otherwise your muscles more likely will not grow to their full capacity and may become stagnet with the same routine over and over. You've got to stimulate those musckles!! Just my opinion, I'm no big bb or anything.
    BW

9natural9 is offline Banned
    both, dumbell for slow sqeezing presses, and barbell for my heavier workouts

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I concur! You need both. Yes dumbells help balance your weaker side, and improve coordination between muscle groups, but for pure strength you definately need barbell movements.

Jenna is offline Female Member
    When I'm trying to bulk and build strength, I do barbell press to lift heavier weight. When I'm trying to cut up for more definition, I do dumbell press and focus more on form.

<<<< JENNA >>>>

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I do barbel most often because its more fun, but with dumbels I get better contact with my pecs.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    i gotta go with barbells. nothing beat the barbell. but as a secondary excercise, dumbells definately have there place.

xplicit is offline Member
    I usually do all barbells one week for all my muslces and then the following week i do dumbells to switch it up and some times to switch it up more so i go in the smith machine even though its a barbell its steady and is a change, at least for me, from doing the same thing

HalOd03 is offline Associate Member
    i like dumbells better...ive never been a big fan of the barbell, but i still do it....i actually just changed my whole workout plan around, and substituted dumbells with barbells, and i maxed out just for shits and giggles, and i put up about 75lbs. more than i predicted...so i kinda like barbell now...

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    I have heard the pro's and con's on this subject many times. I can understand the rational thinking behind the dumbell sernario, however I like most peolpe I know are creatures of habit and I find myself leaning more towrad barbells everytime I go into the gym. It just seems that I have better control of the weight and that I can push SO much more of it while on the bar-bell.
    IC

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    I use barbell for flat bench presses and dumbells for incline presses. Lower reps ( 8-4 ) with the barbell and higher (12- 8 ) with dumbells.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Okay I hate to disgree but heard this from a doc and a PT.
    I prefer dumbells, but it really depends on what kind of press you are talking about. When it comes to flat bench, no way. Dumbells.
    My reason is, a buddy of mine tore a pec doing flat bench, (this guy was a BB and has about 20 years experience under his belt). He was doing very light weight and on a cutting cycle.
    Anyways, he tore his pec muscle, his doc and PT told him never to do flat barbell press. He explained that it puts your shoulders and chest in a very awkward postion and allowing you to tear a pec muscle easier. he said always do dumbell flat bench, because there is more freedom of movement and less chance of injury.
    After I was told this I started doing research, and guess what I found, more guys tore pec muscles doing, Yes do I need to say it, Flat BARBELL BENCH PRESS. Not flys not dumbell press, but FLAT BARBELL BENCH PRESS.
    However the PT and doc both said that barbell incline and decline were okay, but still recommended dumbell.
    I do agree with Kevin and some of the other guys, that you can do more weight with a barbell, but more weight and risk of injury.. hmm.. think I will sacrifice and go with the dumbells.
    Oh gosh watch me get flammed on this one..

Thread Information