Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    rissinite's Avatar
    rissinite is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    334

    Shoulders and Bi's won't grow!!!

    I've been training for quite a long time, off and on for about 10 years because of sports. I'm now done with sports and in the gym 4 days a week. I'm having trouble growing where I want it most, in my shoulders and biceps. Here's my workout for those specific bodyparts

    Bi's:
    Barbell Curls- 105lbs. 10,10, 8, 8
    Seated Dumbells- 45lbs. 10,10,8,8
    Seated Barbell Preachers- 70lbs. 10,10,8,8
    Low Pulley One Arm Curls- 40lbs. 12,10,10,8

    Shoulders:
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press- 200lbs. 10,10,8,6
    Arnold Presses- 50lbs. 12,10,10,8
    Dumbell Side Laterals- 12,10,10,8
    Low Pulley Front Raises w/ the bar attachment- 60lbs. 12,12,10,10

    Any ideas? I'm eating right and lifting religiously, yet can't get these two body parts to grow at all. THanks in advance for the input

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    779
    whats the diet look like?

  3. #3
    rissinite's Avatar
    rissinite is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    334
    Similar to the sticky on the diet boards. No carbs except for PWO and PPWO, which consist of dextrose in a whey shake (2:1 ratio to whey), and whole wheat pasta in my PPWO meal. 6 meals per day total

  4. #4
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by rissinite
    I've been training for quite a long time, off and on for about 10 years because of sports. I'm now done with sports and in the gym 4 days a week. I'm having trouble growing where I want it most, in my shoulders and biceps. Here's my workout for those specific bodyparts

    Bi's:
    Barbell Curls- 105lbs. 10,10, 8, 8
    Seated Dumbells- 45lbs. 10,10,8,8
    Seated Barbell Preachers- 70lbs. 10,10,8,8
    Low Pulley One Arm Curls- 40lbs. 12,10,10,8

    Shoulders:
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press- 200lbs. 10,10,8,6
    Arnold Presses- 50lbs. 12,10,10,8
    Dumbell Side Laterals- 12,10,10,8
    Low Pulley Front Raises w/ the bar attachment- 60lbs. 12,12,10,10

    Any ideas? I'm eating right and lifting religiously, yet can't get these two body parts to grow at all. THanks in advance for the input
    what do all these weight numbers mean mate?

  5. #5
    rissinite's Avatar
    rissinite is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    334
    that's what I use mate...for that given exercise, whether it be barbell total weight, or weight per dumbell

  6. #6
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388
    so you dont change weight every set?

  7. #7
    rissinite's Avatar
    rissinite is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    334
    I do a light warm up set typically for each exercise, and stretch quite a bit between sets. The weight I put on their is what I consider my "working weight." Like bench for example, I'll stretch, warm up with one set at 135, then a half set at 225, before loading up with 305 for 4 sets (8, 8, 6, 6)

  8. #8
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388
    if this isnt working for you, try going up in weight every set.

    ie: Barbell Curls- 12@95, 10@115 , 8@135, 4-6(failure)@155

  9. #9
    Dude-Man's Avatar
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    5,978
    doing too much. 16 sets for bis? try doing 8 heavy, hard, full intensity sets.

  10. #10
    AandF6969's Avatar
    AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,387
    Do you train to failure or just say "I made my 8 reps, fukk it"

    Eat more. You need carbs to grow.

  11. #11
    rissinite's Avatar
    rissinite is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    FLA
    Posts
    334
    Typically, I train to failure.... if my goal is 8 reps, and I have more in me, I'll do another....and if I only get 7, but that seventh is failure, then I'm done with that set.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    537
    Just like Jantzen, and AandF say.... make sure your going till failure, and also, go up in weight on EVERY set. IMO, if your staying with the same weight, your slacking...I yell at my partner all the time for doing that.

  13. #13
    getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,220
    You are definately doing way too many sets for biceps all you need is 9sets if your are training them without them being preexhausted. and if you are doing them with back all you need is 6 sets a week

  14. #14
    ReX357's Avatar
    ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,845
    6 sets for biceps:

    Straight Bar Barbell Curls x3 (no cheating)
    Hammer Dumbell Curls x3 (no cheating)

    You do 2 seconds on the positive part of the movement, feel the squeeze, 3 second negatives.

    Then I get on the preacher bench, I grab a barbell, put some weight on it and just sit there holding the bar for 1 minute. I do this to stretch my biceps.

    I've been doing this for about two months now and my biceps are sore E-V-E-R-Y-T-I-M-E
    Last edited by ReX357; 02-23-2005 at 05:51 PM.

  15. #15
    ReX357's Avatar
    ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,845
    And for your shoulders:

    Barbell Military Presses x3
    Reverse Flies x3 (For the rear delts)
    Dumbell Lateral Raises x3

    That's it.

  16. #16
    cpt steele's Avatar
    cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    6 sets for biceps:

    Straight Bar Barbell Curls x3 (no cheating)
    Hammer Strenght Dumbell Curls x3 (no cheating)

    You do 2 seconds on the positive part of the movement, feel the squeeze, 3 second negatives.

    Then I get on the preacher bench, I grab a barbell, put some weight on it and just sit there holding the bar for 1 minute. I do this to stretch my biceps.

    I've been doing this for about two months now and my biceps are sore E-V-E-R-Y-T-I-M-E
    This is what I do also. There isnt any need for 12-20 sets for bi's, especially if you are trying to make them grow. Heavy heavy weight with strict form. I do my hammer's seated with an adjustable seat (theones that can lay down etc) I set it 1 notch back to put my bi's in a slight stretch.

  17. #17
    cpt steele's Avatar
    cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,890
    wow I will fix that

  18. #18
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Eat more. You need carbs to grow.
    Amen to that. If you are bulking, you need more carbs than two meals.

  19. #19
    pyschomab's Avatar
    pyschomab is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    487
    YES EAT MORE AND DO curls with an olympic 45 pound bar w/ wieght and concentration curls and for shoulders millitary and bumbell raises.!!

  20. #20
    IronReload04's Avatar
    IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    5,640
    Quote Originally Posted by rissinite
    I've been training for quite a long time, off and on for about 10 years because of sports. I'm now done with sports and in the gym 4 days a week. I'm having trouble growing where I want it most, in my shoulders and biceps. Here's my workout for those specific bodyparts

    Bi's:
    Barbell Curls- 105lbs. 10,10, 8, 8
    Seated Dumbells- 45lbs. 10,10,8,8
    Seated Barbell Preachers- 70lbs. 10,10,8,8
    Low Pulley One Arm Curls- 40lbs. 12,10,10,8

    Shoulders:
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press- 200lbs. 10,10,8,6
    Arnold Presses- 50lbs. 12,10,10,8
    Dumbell Side Laterals- 12,10,10,8
    Low Pulley Front Raises w/ the bar attachment- 60lbs. 12,12,10,10

    Any ideas? I'm eating right and lifting religiously, yet can't get these two body parts to grow at all. THanks in advance for the input
    1. squat big
    2. deadlift big
    3. bench big
    4. take the bicept sets down to a maximum of 4 sets, personally, i think 4 sets is too much, but 4 would be fine
    5. ditch the hammer press. if i was doing a regular volume workout, i would do this for my shoulder routine if i were you
    b.b mil press-2 sets
    d.b. mil press-2 sets
    side laterals-1 set
    front raises-1 set
    if you insist on going with medium to high volume, i think anything more than what i have listed is overtraining if you take all those sets balls to the wall. personally, i believe anything after 1 set is a waste of time. raises definately will not make you grow, only slow recovery, but if you are one of those people that insist on doing them, i would keep the sets low.

    next your split needs to be perfect so everything is getting worked out completely fresh

    last and most important, you need to be getting in your bodyweight(1.5-2)grams protein if you are serious about growing.

    all of the above is jmo

  21. #21
    IronReload04's Avatar
    IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    5,640
    o and for a bicept routine, i suggest somthing along the lines like this

    b.b curl 1 set
    slight inlcine d.b. curl-1 set
    preacher curl-1 set
    hammer curl-1 set

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baja Ca, Mexico
    Posts
    356
    IMO to many sets for Bi's. Bi's are a big problem in a lot of our lives. Traps easy does it.
    Lower the amount of reps and increase the weight.
    Mil press 4s 4-6r
    upright rows 3s 4-6r
    side laterals 3s 4-6r

  23. #23
    Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Compton
    Posts
    2,328
    I got my biceps to grow by working out my forearms hard. I got my preacher curls up to 90lbs from 60 lbs in 6 weeks by working forearms so i dont get stuck down low on the positive. I always pyramid the weight too. 3 sets, 1st 70lbs up to 90lbs. also, if your wrists can handle it use the straight bar over the ez bar too.

    For shoulders Try the smith machine barbell press and pyramid the weight up. I pyramid the weight up on almost all my exercises and have good success week after week.

  24. #24
    AVAGO's Avatar
    AVAGO is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    913
    Correct me if im wrong but i havent seen any 1 say about core exercizes... Squats, Deads,etc mayby your bicepts are big enough for your frame. To increse bicept size the whole body has to be increased. You have not posted any other information ie your full traing routine would have been more helpfull, as your wheel traing (legs) is vital to overall body increase. So basicly squat ya ass off and your arms will follow, if you reaserched more you will find post by swolecat ......

  25. #25
    AVAGO's Avatar
    AVAGO is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    913
    Originally posted by IronReload04
    1. squat big
    2. deadlift big
    3. bench big

    4. take the bicept sets down to a maximum of 4 sets, personally, i think 4 sets is too much, but 4 would be fine
    5. ditch the hammer press. if i was doing a regular volume workout, i would do this for my shoulder routine if i were you
    b.b mil press-2 sets
    d.b. mil press-2 sets
    side laterals-1 set
    front raises-1 set
    if you insist on going with medium to high volume, i think anything more than what i have listed is overtraining if you take all those sets balls to the wall. personally, i believe anything after 1 set is a waste of time. raises definately will not make you grow, only slow recovery, but if you are one of those people that insist on doing them, i would keep the sets low.

    next your split needs to be perfect so everything is getting worked out completely fresh

    last and most important, you need to be getting in your bodyweight(1.5-2)grams protein if you are serious about growing.

    all of the above is jmo

    Ok so i just read IronRealod04's post an he says it there lol.......good advice

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •