Beefkake31 is offline Member

forearm pain while doing BI's

Does anyone else have pain on their forearms when doing Biceps? It's like a sharp type pain and after workout it hurts when I touch it or stretch my forearm.

If I bend my middle finger as if I am trying to stretch it to the top of my wrist that part of my forearm will hurt. I think there is a correlation between the two.

Anyway, I don't know what this means but I can't go that heavy on biceps anymore. When it's lower weight I don't really feel it, but the higher the weight that area of my forearm starts hurting with that sharp pain.

So what do you guys think? Any comments are really appreciated since I am very curious to what you guys think it might be.

It's normal. Does it ever hurt when your not workin' out?

And I did a search already and saw the other similar posts. Just wanted to see if besides tendinitis what other things may be causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by YounG_SluG11
    It's normal. Does it ever hurt when your not workin' out?
    No it doesn't hurt when I'm not working out unless I really go heavy on biceps and feel a sharp pain that was to extreme then I will be in pain for about 2 days and it will go away. But I can't do bicep curls with more than 25 lbs. right now because of this. Do you think getting a forearm sleeve will help support it?

It sounds like tendonitis. You need to rest it...take a few days off and apply ice/heat to it. Happens to me all the time, and this works.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Inflamation of the tendons from repetative use is very common.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Could be wrist flexors etc.. Try heat before you work out and then ice afterwards

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    i had this problem a few years ago, when i did heavy preacher curls. it finally went away after months of aggervation.

bonsey is offline Junior Member
    You might try taking naproxen for the inflamation/pain. It did wonders for me.

TimeToGetBig27 is offline Junior Member
    I often get that pain aswell, mostly from preacher curl as a few others have said, but not bad enough to make me stop. On the topic of forearm pain, when doing heavy forearm exersives sometimes i can barely make a fist, and a couple time i couldn't. Is that over training or just a nice burn?

speak is offline Associate Member
    I've had this off and on for a couple of years, and I'm pretty sure you have tendonitis. I take ibuprofen before I do bi's and also wrap my forearm sometimes. Be prepared for it to linger.

diesel21 is offline Member
    this is all u have to do!!!!!

happened to me all the time................. grab bar at natural carrying position.... meaning where your arms will naturally fall if u place them at your sides.. meaning they should stick out to the sides a little, while elbows in... reason for the pain is that your lifting wrong... this is 90% case... see if that helps, it use to happen to me all the time! wish i had a pic to explain better

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    it may not help you but it does for me. i have them little sweat bands for your wrists. i put htem on my forearms. it keeps them tight while im doing biceps. i dont have any pain anymore.

nocoast is offline New Member
    Just work through it you will be fine

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by nocoast
    Bad idea. You should consult a doctor. Also, watch the way your hands are placed when you workout. Hands should be straight in line with your arms. No curling of the wrist while working the bis.

Your arms should look like this: (Sorry for my poor ASCII graphics skills)

\_ _

\ = upper arm
    1st _ = forearm
    2st _ = hand

diesel21 is offline Member
    hands should be widder than elbows!!!! try what i said, you'll be fine

Liquidred is offline Associate Member
    I have the same problem now...my friend that is a long time trainger explained to me that it is similiar to a shin splint. Just strech it more and ice it 20 on and 20 off. He also said that joint compount supplements work wonders for things like this.. He told me the brand but i can't remember now. He said he had the same things when he was younger and took the supplements and it stopped. Yeah that pain sucks totally kills your workouts...i have wrist wraps also and they don't help.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I think this is a problem that every lifter gets at some point in their career. Just work thru the pain. The best remedy I found was not to use straight bar for a while and do some reverse curls before each set of bi's you do. Helps to relieve some pain...

-Bino

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReX357

\_ _

\ = upper arm
    1st _ = forearm
    2st _ = hand
    That is the funniest thing I've seen on here in a while.

I get this pain from time to time. It requires time to heal, just like anything else. If you can't curl more than 25lb db's thats pretty severe, take 2 weeks off.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i had this problem when doing preacher curls... the forearms would feel a sharp pain... it went away after i stopped the preachers for a few weeks though

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    same here bro, i cant count how many times ive seen or heard of this. just takes time it will go away

TCEL300 is offline Member
    whenever i go heavy curls i get an intense pain in my forarm...i jst stretch them out real good and it seems to help...hold a 25 pound weight and just twist it in my wrist...seems to help me

lcpl kill is offline Associate Member
    heat before, ice after, proper lifting with e-z curl bar and plenty of ibouprofin. I had this so bad I would wake up in the middle of the night from the pain and both of my hands and wrists would cramp so bad I couldnt move them for a half an hour. It will eventually go away. consult a doctor anyway incase its carpuntunnel syndrome.

KDRLINUS is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsey
    You might try taking naproxen for the inflamation/pain. It did wonders for me.
    also known as ALEVE.... did nothing for me, wish i was you LOL

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, you have tiny cracks in your radius. they can hurt like a sonuvabitch to the point you cant lift biceps for a good while. Like shin splints.
    If using a barbell, stop, It bows out the radius to much. you could use the EZ curl bar but then your palms arent facing up as much which means less bicep stimulation. This is why i use dumbells exclusivly or weighted pullups for bis. peace.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    I have been trying to find out why my forearms hurt too. Mine started hurting when I did bicep curls with the cable bar close grip.

bigbearsabo is offline New Member
    I find that stop using hte straight bar helps for awhile and dont curl your wrist while you lift keep them straight also is it a annoying pain or a unbearable pain if its real bad it could be something wrong with a tendoin or it could just be stress if it only comes with heavy weight if it was tendionitis you shuold get it all the time not just during heavy lifits just my opinion hope it helps bro

It's pretty common, especially if you have small joints and tendons like me. I try not to use the bar as much, but when I do, I warm up with dumbbells first just to get all the parts of my wrist warmed up. I also use wraps (like knee wraps but smaller) to tie around my wrists when I bench or do heavy weights that stress my forearms. If it gets real bad, take some time off and always warmup. Goodluck.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I read it forearm pain while doing BJ's for some reason

neway just try 20grams of VIT C ED should work well

kingfrankie1 is offline New Member
    I get this pain all the time when I curl heavy, but only in my dominant arm. I just wrap my forearm with an ace bandage very tight while curling. Works for me

tranzit is offline Senior Member
    Its Tendenitus, not to be mistaken with growing pains. I couldnt curl for 5 months it got so bad about 10 years ago. Try to keep your wrists straight when you curl. After you start getting tired or you are lifting to heavy you tend to pull your knocking knuckles twords your body. try it.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzit
    Try to keep your wrists straight when you curl. After you start getting tired or you are lifting to heavy you tend to pull your knocking knuckles twords your body. try it.
    I noticed this too. Once I was lifting heavy and I was on my last rep and my wrists came so close to my body that they went too far the wrong way and I almost dropped the bar onto my biceps. That caned my wrists...

carpediemguy08 is offline New Member
    I took off from Dec to March because it was really bad. Dr said that I had tendonitis. Now, it's back in full force and is even jumping to my left arm now, blah! I ice it after workouts 15 mins on, 15 off, 15 on and take IB Profen. I use the tennis elbow wraps too but when i get a pump theyre too tight (i use mediums, large seems like it would be too big without a pump going).

I also got nike "structured" lifting gloves, and they provide wrist support which helps alleviate some of the pain. I would definitely look into getting them if you cant get around it. Only thing is that since it gives wrist support then perhaps your wrist wont strengthen, but its a tradeoff.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemguy08
    I took off from Dec to March because it was really bad. Dr said that I had tendonitis. Now, it's back in full force and is even jumping to my left arm now, blah! I ice it after workouts 15 mins on, 15 off, 15 on and take IB Profen. I use the tennis elbow wraps too but when i get a pump theyre too tight (i use mediums, large seems like it would be too big without a pump going).

I also got nike "structured" lifting gloves, and they provide wrist support which helps alleviate some of the pain. I would definitely look into getting them if you cant get around it. Only thing is that since it gives wrist support then perhaps your wrist wont strengthen, but its a tradeoff.
    This thread is like 5 months old brotha. HAHAHAHA

1buffsob

suckysucky is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocoast
    No jsut dont work through it. I had the same problem i let it rest for like no more then 5 days and went back to it it was fine. Working on it right now is just going to aggrevate it more.

need2bhuge is offline Junior Member
    There's not too much you can do besides taking the normal joint/tendon rapirers. Many people get forearm pain in the middle of their forearms. This is due to the bicep head that connects to the connective tissue that hold the radius and ulna together. I can't remember which head connects to where, but either the long or short head connects to the radial tuberosity and the other fuses with the connective tissue between the radius and ulna. I know this probably doesn't help much but this could be the source of the pain.

Thread Information