davieric is offline Junior Member

Critique my Chest workout

I'd just like some outside opinion about my chest workout and what i can do to improve it if i need to. what i'm thinking of doing is sticking to the same exercises for one month then swithching them around for the next.

right now my workout is like this (excuse the terminalogy):

Flat dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    incline flies - 4 sets/ 4-6 reps
    incline dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    flat flies - 4 sets/4-6 reps

Next month i'm planning on doing incline and decline chest, with different exersices.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I would only do one type of fly and call it a day.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yup.

~SC~

Agreed.

Hit the compounds hard! Maybe throw in Pec Dec, for me this hits my pecs differently than flies. Just a thought.

Train Hard.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Dont forget your negatives.. its obvious your going for str/size w/ low reps so bust out a 10 sec negative on your final rep of all sets to get mad eccentric tears thus inducing growth. Supplement Weightd wide grip dips for one of the flys.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    add a barbell exercise. do one set of flyes. add more reps at begging of set and end with 4-6 if you want on last set. i prefer to have failure on 8th rep and spotter helps me for 2 more without overextending or putting myself in a position of getting injured.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davieric
    I'd just like some outside opinion about my chest workout and what i can do to improve it if i need to. what i'm thinking of doing is sticking to the same exercises for one month then swithching them around for the next.

right now my workout is like this (excuse the terminalogy):

Flat dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    incline flies - 4 sets/ 4-6 reps
    incline dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    flat flies - 4 sets/4-6 reps

Next month i'm planning on doing incline and decline chest, with different exersices.
    Here are a few comments:

1. I'd do the inclline dumbell/barbell presses FIRST. If you do them later, your pecs will be pre exhausted, and your shoulders may work too hard to compensate. By doing the inclines first, you will be able to concentrate fully on the upper chest.

2. Occasionally switch between using dumbells and barbells. You don't have to switch every other work out, but change it up every 3-4 weeks in order to keep your body guessing.

3. If after 2-3 months of doing this routine, you do not see sufficient progress, then consider dropping one exercise (preferably one of the flye exercises), drop the weight slightly, increase the rep count to the 8-12 range and do your reps SUPER slowly, making sure to keep your mind on feeling the weight affect the muscle through out the ENTIRE rep. If you're currently using momentum (or explosive motion) to move the weights, you'll find that the slow motion will really work the muscle hard. NOTE: when doing a slow rep, you should be able to conrol the motion of the weight at ANY point of the rep.

Consider doing the exercises in the following order:

--Incline dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    --Flat dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    --Incline (or flat) flies - 4 sets/ 4-6 reps
    NOTE: If you have enough energy to do more flyes, then you should consider putting in a third pressing movement such as declines rather than sapping your energy on another flye which doesn't produce as much growth as a good chest press.

If you want to change this up, you can occasionally compound the flies and presses for a more difficult work out like this:

--4-6 reps of incline dumbell presses followed immediately by 6-8 reps of incline dumbell flies - 4 sets/ 10-14 TOTAL reps
    --4-6 reps of flat dumbell presses followed immediately by 6-8 reps of flat dumbell flies - 4 sets/ 10-14 TOTAL reps
    --Weighted dips or decline presses - 3 sets
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 02-26-2005 at 12:25 PM.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    Here are a few comments:

1. I'd do the inclline dumbell/barbell presses FIRST. If you do them later, your pecs will be pre exhausted, and your shoulders may work too hard to compensate. By doing the inclines first, you will be able to concentrate fully on the upper chest.

2. Occasionally switch between using dumbells and barbells. You don't have to switch every other work out, but change it up every 3-4 weeks in order to keep your body guessing.

3. If after 2-3 months of doing this routine, you do not see sufficient progress, then consider dropping one exercise (preferably one of the flye exercises), drop the weight slightly, increase the rep count to the 8-12 range and do your reps SUPER slowly, making sure to keep your mind on feeling the weight affect the muscle through out the ENTIRE rep. If you're currently using momentum (or explosive motion) to move the weights, you'll find that the slow motion will really work the muscle hard. NOTE: when doing a slow rep, you should be able to conrol the motion of the weight at ANY point of the rep.

Consider doing the exercises in the following order:

--Incline dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    --Flat dumbell presses - 4 sets/4-6 reps
    --Incline (or flat) flies - 4 sets/ 4-6 reps
    NOTE: If you have enough energy to do more flyes, then you should consider putting in a third pressing movement such as declines rather than sapping your energy on another flye which doesn't produce as much growth as a good chest press.

If you want to change this up, you can occasionally compound the flies and presses for a more difficult work out like this:

--4-6 reps of incline dumbell presses followed immediately by 6-8 reps of incline dumbell flies - 4 sets/ 10-14 TOTAL reps
    --4-6 reps of flat dumbell presses followed immediately by 6-8 reps of flat dumbell flies - 4 sets/ 10-14 TOTAL reps
    --Weighted dips or decline presses - 3 sets
    Now thats a response there guys. Man You gotta love that ****. I got most of my resonses from newbies of juniors they were good but that is just on the spot. GOOD JOB BASK8KACE . it makes me want to act like this lol

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I suggest this:

4X 5-10 repsIncline dumbell press
    4X 5-10 flat bench press
    4X 5-10 heavy weighted dips

done.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Make the adjustments suggested above and then look at your back routine and make sure the push/pull workload is evenly distributed. ie make sure you arent benching 2x as much as you are pulling (by workload).

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    Now thats a response there guys. Man You gotta love that ****. I got most of my resonses from newbies of juniors they were good but that is just on the spot. GOOD JOB BASK8KACE . it makes me want to act like this lol
    Thanks. Glad I could help.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    For your chest, dips are one of my favorites. I do incline dumbell presses, dips, and flat bench flys.

davieric is offline Junior Member
    thanks a ton for the suggestions guys.

Thread Information