Malvino is offline New Member

deadlifting form

When i deadlift my legs are straight i push the bar up to my shins and with my feet sholder distance apart i pull the weight using my chest back and arms up till the weight is below my stomach.

I was on the abcbodybuilding site and i noticed that when i watched his form his knees were bent. Are you soppose to use your legs at all when you dead?

B/c ive just been archin my back from a 90" to a 0" angle.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Good heaven's YES....you should have your butt down at the start of the pull...the bar should scrap along the shins.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

511220 is offline Associate Member
    Unless you are doing stiff legged deads, which your back must be straight the entire movement. These work the hams and glutes well.

Careful with deads, get someone in person who knows the mechanics to show you proper lifting form.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    You're doing stiff legged deads. With conventional deads, your butt starts down and your knees are bent.

Malvino is offline New Member
    So ive been doing stiff legged dead lifts (i read that article you sent me) and a question goes when doing stiff legged deadlifts as compared to the ones were you use your legs what are the benefits to each of these.

Do straight legged deadlifts work your back more than if you used your legs?

511220 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvino
    So ive been doing stiff legged dead lifts (i read that article you sent me) and a question goes when doing stiff legged deadlifts as compared to the ones were you use your legs what are the benefits to each of these.

Do straight legged deadlifts work your back more than if you used your legs?
    No! Straight leg deads done correctly are for hams (back of legs) and glutes (ass). Your back must be in a straight line. Your lower back is involved but not to the extent of doing a (from the floor) compound dead lift, where you can pull up a lot more weight.

Careful with these. Use light weight and get the form right...

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    do all you guys use straps when doing this?? I dont like the straps only for 1 reason. I like to have full grip strength w/o help and it seems to build your forearms more when you dont use straps for exercises.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Whenever I do over 350 I cant keep my back straight.
    This is not straight leg.
    Does anyone else have a problem keepling their back straight when deadlifting heavy or am I doing too much???
    I love the rush I get when lifting all that weight but when I get over 400 my spine feels like its gonna bust.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Nevermind I think I just figured out what I was doing wrong.
    Sorry bout that!

Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    Nevermind I think I just figured out what I was doing wrong.
    Sorry bout that!
    do you guys do it for reps?? lift all the way up and back down to floor 6-8 times??. or is it a 1 lift deal??

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    There are different types of deads.. Stiff(hammies,glutes primary), regular.,romanian(lower lumbar,quads primary) and sumo style. Sounds like you are doing stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    There are different types of deads.. Stiff(hammies,glutes primary), regular.,romanian(lower lumbar,quads primary) and sumo style. Sounds like you are doing stiff.

on regulars do you do them for reps setting the weight back down on the ground and then bending knees low to the ground and back up lifting again?? I did them for the 1st time today and want to make sure i am doing them right. my lower back felt it and my quads.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    on regulars do you do them for reps setting the weight back down on the ground and then bending knees low to the ground and back up lifting again?? I did them for the 1st time today and want to make sure i am doing them right. my lower back felt it and my quads.
    Yes, basically. Start with shoulder width grip either both hand pronated or when its heavier go one hand pronated(overhand) and the other supinated(underhand). Stance can be shoulder wide straight or slight angle. Start at the squat down position with quads parralle, knee's in line with toes, BACK STRAIGHT NOT ROUNDED HEAD LOOKING STRIGHT AHEAD IN ALIGNMENT. Grab the bar and using your quads/glutes pull up exhaling half way up on the concentric portion(upward) keeping the bar as close to body(shins) driving with the heels of your feet. When you are fully upright, squeeze butt, stick chest out, rotate scapular back hold for a second. It is easier showing then explaning because if you have a mistake you run the risk of injury. The most important thing to remember is proper spine alignment. Lately I been doing stiff's only which works more hammies/glutes then the lower back lumbar & quads in the regular dead lift. Hope this helps,. Blue

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Yes, basically. Start with shoulder width grip either both hand pronated or when its heavier go one hand pronated(overhand) and the other supinated(underhand). Stance can be shoulder wide straight or slight angle. Start at the squat down position with quads parralle, knee's in line with toes, BACK STRAIGHT NOT ROUNDED HEAD LOOKING STRIGHT AHEAD IN ALIGNMENT. Grab the bar and using your quads/glutes pull up exhaling half way up on the concentric portion(upward) keeping the bar as close to body(shins) driving with the heels of your feet. When you are fully upright, squeeze butt, stick chest out, rotate scapular back hold for a second. It is easier showing then explaning because if you have a mistake you run the risk of injury. The most important thing to remember is proper spine alignment. Lately I been doing stiff's only which works more hammies/glutes then the lower back lumbar & quads in the regular dead lift. Hope this helps,. Blue
    the description is exactly as i did them today i think. also, i was wondering if could use the alternating grip. It helps with heavier weight. I would rather not use straps and build my grip strength at the same time. i used this link also to help me..

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/deadlift.htm

And you do them for reps right. set the weight back down on the ground and back up again. correct?? thanks

Re-read my second sentence and reps are determined by amount of weight used. The next rep is after the 45lb touches the floor or untill legs are paralle if standing on a platform/block. And by the way many guys are refering to that abc site and although it is okay for beginning ,there are many flaws in the site so do not take everything for truth without fault.
    Last edited by bluethunder; 03-04-2005 at 05:01 PM.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    do you guys do it for reps?? lift all the way up and back down to floor 6-8 times??. or is it a 1 lift deal??

I like to use chalk.
    And I do it for reps,
    I do about 3 sets warmup starting with 135 and ending with 225.
    Do about 20-10 reps each set. Those I usually do straight leg
    Also do good mornings

When I go heavy I do about 5-8 reps simultaneously.
    When I am done I am tottaly pumped with adrenaline!
    Then I go for really heavy just one at a time.

I LOVE DEADLIFTING

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Just out of curiosity,

Do most of yall just let the wieghts drop and bounce all over the floor making all kinds of racket????

I never do that, I always set my weights down, barely dropping them if its really heavy.
    I just never figured out why people drop the bar from way up high,
    I always felt like that was just bad gym ethics and misuse of equipment, kind of get annoyed by it.

What yall thin about that.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    i like chalk too as opposed to straps.

you guys really hijacked this kids thread

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    i like chalk too as opposed to straps.

you guys really hijacked this kids thread

nah, it just evolved

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    Just out of curiosity,

Do most of yall just let the wieghts drop and bounce all over the floor making all kinds of racket????

I never do that, I always set my weights down, barely dropping them if its really heavy.
    I just never figured out why people drop the bar from way up high,
    I always felt like that was just bad gym ethics and misuse of equipment, kind of get annoyed by it.

What yall thin about that.

If your training for PL strength, where all you need to do is get the weight up once, i can understand why people drop the weight, but i deadlift to build my back, so the concentric phase is just as important as the eccentric phase, where the entire lift is controlled.

Thread Information