Thread: Wider shoulders

TCEL300 is offline Member

Wider shoulders

you guys have any good exercises to increase shoulder size...make the shoulders broader?...thanks

b u m p

chest6 is offline Banned
    when I started working shoulders, back and traps..my shoulders got much broader.

Kreatine_Kid is offline Junior Member
    Work the side and rear heads of the deltoids mate. L-Laterals and bent over laterals too!
    Finish with the side heads as this leaves a pump in that area of the shoulder giving you a broader look.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreatine_Kid
    Work the side and rear heads of the deltoids mate. L-Laterals and bent over laterals too!
    Finish with the side heads as this leaves a pump in that area of the shoulder giving you a broader look.
    i agree with the kid

ACpower is offline Member
    DB shoulder press best shoulder exercise for mass you can do

Quote Originally Posted by ACpower
    DB shoulder press best shoulder exercise for mass you can do
    I would say there second to side laterals, as side laterals hit the lateral head of the delts, giving you more roundness, this makes you appear, and look a lot bigger...i do 3 sets after chest...then maybe 1-2 shoulder press JMO

i have seen guys doing laterals with there arms straight??..does that hit different muscles if i was doing it with my elbows slighty bent?

diezell is offline Senior Member
    id say military shoulder presses would help to make them wider

Flexor is offline Banned
    military presses are primarily for front delts, shoulder presses bringing the dumbells right over your medials will hit the medials but towards the top of the press again its mostly front delts. both of those mass exercises will stimulate good medial growth though.

lateral raises, bent over lateral raises and lying lateral raises are good for targetting the medial delts but are lower mass exercises, so better to do a few of them after the presses.

also if you don't already have a sizeable frame to work with, it will be harder to give the appearance of wide shoulders and you will have to get bigger delts

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    military presses are primarily for front delts, shoulder presses bringing the dumbells right over your medials will hit the medials but towards the top of the press again its mostly front delts. both of those mass exercises will stimulate good medial growth though.

lateral raises, bent over lateral raises and lying lateral raises are good for targetting the medial delts but are lower mass exercises, so better to do a few of them after the presses.

also if you don't already have a sizeable frame to work with, it will be harder to give the appearance of wide shoulders and you will have to get bigger delts
    agreed, my point exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    i have seen guys doing laterals with there arms straight??..does that hit different muscles if i was doing it with my elbows slighty bent?
    I prefer the (L fly) you can get right in to the lateral head doing them like this, with straight arms people tend to throw the dumbbells back, this is pointless, forearms, fists, should be pointing straight almost pointing down, look at your self in the mirror do them L, then straight, see for your sellf..
    Last edited by S.P.G; 09-14-2005 at 01:36 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    db military really did it for me I think

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    hardcore lat raises and db shoulder presses

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    Seated military press, high pulls and heavy shrugs are the base of my shoulder routine, then I finish off with 4 sets of these. (not sure what to call 'em)
    Take a 10lbs plate in each hand, stand with your hands by your side and lift your arms up and slightly back to just above 90 degrees... (so you look like a giant "T"). then lower them down sloooooowly but stop before you get to your sides so that you never take the load off your Delts. do 4 sets of these to failure and you'll get a nice cap on your shoulder.
    good luck!

~R

theshiz777 is offline Junior Member
    Behind neck bb press (dont go lower than shoulders) and DB shoulder press pack very good size on, in conuction with hitting the 3 heads seperatly

ward065 is offline Member
    another good technique is to do lateral raises with a lighter weight than you are used to, and i think as this guy said, hold the weights up as long as they can stay there, and when your arms fail let them down as slowly as possible and repeat. you probably can't get more than 8 reps doing this.

It's also fun to do this same exercise doing cable lateral raises, i think you have a little more control of the weight. After raising the cable, hold it as long as you possibly can and then, same as above lower as slowly as possible. This produces a shoulder popping pump, if you can do it right it will feel unreal.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Wide-grip upright rows can be a good alternative to side lateral raises. Only bring the upper arms up until they are parallel with the floor. If you go higher, your upper traps starting taking the stress from the medial deltoids.

Great shoulder routine to get your shoulders building size again:

1.) Start with side laterals : When preforming this you are going to do something a little different than normal. Normally you would face your palms down and the back of your hands face the sky. Instead try facing your palms in back of you. Your knuckles will be out and your thumbs will point at the ground at the very top of the movement. hink of it as trying to hit to people directly at the left and right sides of you with the heels of your hands. Your range of motion wont be as great and you will have to reduce the weight 25-50% compaired to the convetional way. The motion most likely wont go past the bottom of your pecs, maybe a little higher. This is a direct hit to the side delts, and takes away from possibly hitting the traps. Do 4 sets 10-12 reps

2.) Seated front raises with Dumbbells : Again there is a slight twist in the exercise. Start with the DB's at ur sides with palms facing in toward the torso, like your starting an alternate db curl. Next raise them up and toward eachother, tilting the thumbs up so the top edges of the DB's come together. 4 sets 10-12 reps

3.) Behind the neck Barbell press : When you are lowering the bar only bring it to the point where your upper arm bones are parallel to the floor ( about the point where the bar just passes the ear lobes i.e. everyone is different) 4 sets 8-12reps

Try this routine just once and feel how effective it is, you will be sore, like when you first started lifting. Form is very important when working shoulders.

Tell me how you like it after you've done it. me and y friends have had great results using only these 3 exercises to jump start growth. Eventualy you can go back to your old routine or add to this, but start the growth with these first.

man......i do a lot more than that for shoulders. It goes to explain why my shoulders are like small cannons, a bit out of proportion with the rest of my body.

in 1 week i train shoulders twice, two different workouts

workout 1
    seated dumbell press, seated or standing barbell military press

workout 2
    2 types of front raises (hammer grip, barbell, or cable), lateral raises (dumbells or cable) bent over lateral raises (using a variety of different possible positions)

then of course i train traps too....really heavy......for traps each workout i do barbell shrugs from infront and behind, dumbell shrugs, and dumbell or barbell upright rows (That's 4 exercises for traps)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    man......i do a lot more than that for shoulders. It goes to explain why my shoulders are like small cannons, a bit out of proportion with the rest of my body.

in 1 week i train shoulders twice, two different workouts

workout 1
    seated dumbell press, seated or standing barbell military press

workout 2
    2 types of front raises (hammer grip, barbell, or cable), lateral raises (dumbells or cable) bent over lateral raises (using a variety of different possible positions)

then of course i train traps too....really heavy......for traps each workout i do barbell shrugs from infront and behind, dumbell shrugs, and dumbell or barbell upright rows (That's 4 exercises for traps)
    Substitute one of your workouts with this routine and make it the first workout for shoulders that you do. you will feel the fn burn. Most effective combo ive ever done, try it your self next time at the gym and tell me what you think. Make sure you do it the way i said to, form and concentration is everything here.

Quote Originally Posted by theshiz777
    Substitute one of your workouts with this routine and make it the first workout for shoulders that you do. you will feel the fn burn. Most effective combo ive ever done, try it your self next time at the gym and tell me what you think. Make sure you do it the way i said to, form and concentration is everything here.
    it looks interesting, i may try it. the lateral raises look unique too in the way they are performed

hey 8-12 reps for each shoulder?...or total

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    most people tend to leave out rear delts. that helps to give that well rounded look of the delts!

Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    hey 8-12 reps for each shoulder?...or total
    The exercises that require DB's, you would do 8-12 reps each shoulder. The BB behind neck press you would just do 8-12 reps for each set.

ight...i was just unclear if you should go heavy for 4 reps on each arm or do 8 reps with a comfortable weight...appreciate the help guys

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't forget your upper lats! Big lats and big tri's force your arms to rest farther away from your body, which in turn gives you a thicker, wider look across your shoulders. Throw in some heavy trap sets and some side laterals and you'll have some big a$$ shoulders.

I'm a hardgainer and the exercise that gave me great results was a side lateral raise, but instead of strecthing your arms all the way out like wings, try holding the dumbells directly in front of you so your elbows are 90 degrees (your arms will look like L's). Then lift the weight with strict form never moving your arms away from the L position, just lifting straight from your shoulder. This reduces the risk of rotator injury for us lean guys and also allows you much stricter form w/o cheating. I don't know about the rest of you but I find it too easy to start using my lower back when I straighten my arms out for this exercise.

i have been hitting my back different lately and have had great gains in my bi's..they have grown 1/4 inch in the past month and a half...so hopefully as they go my overall arms will also

Thread Information