SLUMPBUSTR is offline Associate Member

quick chest ques?

what would cause my flat dumbell press to be a lot stronger then my flat bench press. meaning....is there a muscle that i could be ignoring, or possibly not doing flat bench enough, genetics, or maybe because my hand position is closer in????

not that its that important of a question but im just curious. the majority of my friends that seriously train bench a lot more then me, but when we do dumbell bench that cant even get close.

thanks

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    With d-bells you are not "locked" into a movement as you are with a barbell.

For me, with long arms, I can easily press WAAAAAAAY more w/d-bells than I can with a flat barbell press. Barbells also hurt my shoulders a lot, no matter what position/style/etc. I've worked w/physical therapists and strength coaches on this, and they advise me to use d-bells. Ever since, I've seen way better chest development.

~SC~

well that makes me feel better. i know flat bench is more less of a bragging exercise, but that just pisses me off when i can barely bench 315 while the rest of my friends are around 340 or higher but when i grab the 130lb dumbells for 10reps they think ive lost my mind and go alot lighter

i also think i need to start doing some flys before i start chest, like you stated in another thread, to pre-exaust. i have that problem where i use my shoulders too much while training chest. i feel my shoulder size really overwhelms the rest of my upper body. like i said i can use the 130lb dumbells for 10 on flat chest, and then 120lbs for 10 on incline, and 100lbs for 10 on shoulder presses. those number should be stretched out a lot more i think

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I myself can also bench higher with db vs. bb. Remember you are inline movement with a bar which can restrict your movement and the stress it places on muscle fibers. DB gives you more flexability freedom. And the amount of weight benched is IMO is meaniless its how you bench. I seldom bench high anymore and in fact is only around 315 1RM as my age and joints come more into play. My chest is my best feature which measures 46" and at 5'6" @ 180lbs you figure so the next time your buddies are all benching more just look in the mirror.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    My chest is my best feature which measures 46" and at 5'6" @ 180lbs

nice

you dont look 5'6 in the photo

josh8416 is offline Associate Member
    ya i am the same way. i can do way more on db when im working out then bb, plus barbell hurts my shoulder sometimes. i can workout with 30 more pounds when using dbs

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    nice

you dont look 5'6 in the photo
    Thanks, but I need to clarify my chest size. After I wrote 46" I had my wife remeasure as I do not measure too often. To my surprise I was 45" cold. I know for a fact I used to be 46" about 6 months ago because I have a chart. The only thing I believe has happened is rHGH for anti-aging & some medical issues. On it now for 4+ months and maybe lost some body fat.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    You need to re-adjust your grip on the bar. It seems that you are wasting a significant amount of force trying to "bend the bar," instead of pushing it upwards. The dumbbells are not connected, therefore, all you force is used to drive the dumbbells upward.

Hollisxrbc is offline New Member
    ****, im the TOTAL opposite of all you guys. My flat bench is decent for my weight, 1RM 280 at 173lbs. But my DB press is laughable. This may be in part that I always hit DB as an auxillery after heavy bp, but I think mostly it's that I totally left out bumbells from my chest routine until a few months ago.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Thanks, but I need to clarify my chest size. After I wrote 46" I had my wife remeasure as I do not measure too often. To my surprise I was 45" cold. I know for a fact I used to be 46" about 6 months ago because I have a chart. The only thing I believe has happened is rHGH for anti-aging & some medical issues. On it now for 4+ months and maybe lost some body fat.

nothing wrong with 45" at your age bluethunder

Thread Information