HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

rep range question

if you were to get stronger in the 1-3 rep range would this result in a significant increase in strength when performing the same exercise in the 8-10 rep range???

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i have noticed as my 1rep str increases my stamina decreases but i dont know about 8-10 range, but once i hit 12 its all over ..

yooo is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    if you were to get stronger in the 1-3 rep range would this result in a significant increase in strength when performing the same exercise in the 8-10 rep range???
    Depends on how you are training bro..
    Try switching it up for a week and do all ur exercises for 8-10 reps, just for future reference..
    Keep at it

well i was thinking about rotating rep ranges throughout the week! like monday hit everything at a rep range of around 10, then wednesday around 6, and friday around 2! that way im hitting every rep range intensly and also growing and getting stronger throughout the week because im utilizing the 3 most effective rep ranges!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    well i was thinking about rotating rep ranges throughout the week! like monday hit everything at a rep range of around 10, then wednesday around 6, and friday around 2! that way im hitting every rep range intensly and also growing and getting stronger throughout the week because im utilizing the 3 most effective rep ranges!
    Sounds like you are going to give Undulating (Non-Linear Periodization) a shot. Best of luck.

Just the opposite usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Sounds like you are going to give Undulating (Non-Linear Periodization) a shot. Best of luck.
    is that a flame?

is that a flame?
    No, do you not know what program you are doing. It falls directly in line with a Non-Linear Periodization. You have three different training ranges and each session is different. Where as, linear periodization is a classic high volume low intensity, transitioning into low volume high intensity. This is a combination of both. Research says it is better for a higher overall maintenance, where Linear is superior for peaking an athlete out for competition.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    You are making it to complicated imo. Stick with one routine for X amount of time then switch it. HyperT was not flaming but telling you like it is, he is a big fan of periodization techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    No, do you not know what program you are doing. It falls directly in line with a Non-Linear Periodization. You have three different training ranges and each session is different. Where as, linear periodization is a classic high volume low intensity, transitioning into low volume high intensity. This is a combination of both. Research says it is better for a higher overall maintenance, where Linear is superior for peaking an athlete out for competition.
    sorry man i miss understood you! but yes i guess you can say im mixing the "hypertrophy specific training" with "non linear periodization"! do you think this is a good idea or no???

also would doing this type of periodization be pointless with isolation exercises such as lateral raises and flyes etc...?

and one last question about this topic, because i have 3 different rep ranges, how many sets should perform on the given day? ex on the 10rep day should i just do 2 sets of 10, then on the 6 rep day should i do 3 sets of 6, and on the 2 rep day should i do 4sets of 2???
    Last edited by crosby7117; 03-03-2005 at 10:33 PM.

sorry man i miss understood you! but yes i guess you can say im mixing the "hypertrophy specific training" with "non linear periodization"! do you think this is a good idea or no???

also would doing this type of periodization be pointless with isolation exercises such as lateral raises and flyes etc...?

and one last question about this topic, because i have 3 different rep ranges, how many sets should perform on the given day? ex on the 10rep day should i just do 2 sets of 10, then on the 6 rep day should i do 3 sets of 6, and on the 2 rep day should i do 4sets of 2???
    It is difficult to speculate whether or not it is a good idea. Exercise prescriptions should be highly individualized. It is good that you do have the maturity to experiment with different programs, because this will ultimatley lead to finding an effective program for you. However, do not over complicate things. There are two principles in exercise, which are simple, but effective. The principle of Specificity and principle of Overload. Basically, if you want to become better at something, do it. Also, to get better, you must do more than what you are accustomed too.

Personally, I would not drop below a 6RM on isolation exercises. You are putting a tremendous amount of force on one joint. I would still periodize your assistance exercises, but do not follow the same periodization as you would for core movements.

I would follow the set ranges that are specific to the type of training you are doing at the time. Yes, they will be different.

"I would follow the set ranges that are specific to the type of training you are doing at the time. Yes, they will be different."

would you be able to give me an example of these set ranges...

also with the "hypertrophy specific training" they recommend doing a full body 3 times/week but with only 1 exercise/bodypart. do you recommend this type of training, or would it be more beneficial to spread it out over say upper and lower body workouts over the course of say 8-9 days??? i do want try the increased frequency training because i really dont see what the point of doing more than 1 exercise per bodypart or actually bodypart region, after an extremely high intense set or 2 im done and cannot perform 100%. Also hypthetically speaking, if you take a weight to complete failure for even just one set the chances of even lifting the same weight for the same amount of reps is slim, so that means that you cannot work that muscle to 100% failure again so if you cant do that what is the point when you think about it, right?? so why not stop and move to a new bodypart and up the frequency and grow more times per year??(like what doggcrapp says) also ive been reading alot of studies that say basically after absolute failure is hit even with the first set than the damage is done and there's no need for more unless you want to slow your recovery down. But non the less if im wrong about anything please correct me. thanks
    Last edited by crosby7117; 03-04-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Thread Information